The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam
US$858
Trip.com
US$303
US$112
Easy Time Resort(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
US$43
US$42
Centra by Centara Coconut Beach Resort Samui(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$43
Agoda.com
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
Ban Suriya(Lipa Noi)
All reviewssunset beach resortgarden villaour honeymoonkoh samuipool barthai boxingthai languagebreakfast was excellentsuited us perfectlywelcome drinksteam roompeace and quietchoose this hotelrelaxing stayremote locationcold towelsfive islands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed here for 5 days between 5th and 10th November before heading over to Koh Phangan.
As it was in a remote location we emailed ahead and asked for transfers from the airport to the hotel which I would strongly advise doing as it was a 40 minute drive to the hotel!
We arrived at Koh Samui airport after an 18 hour flight from Madrid so we were both very tired. When we came out with our cases there was a man holding my name up who greeted us and quickly got the car. He also had 2 very cold bottles of water and 2 refreshing cold towels for us waiting in the car! A nice touch I thought.
When we arrived at the hotel the manager greeted us with a cold Thai drink and we were shown to our room which was very nice.
We opted for the deluxe jacuzzi room (104). It had lovely views over the pool and over the gulf of Thailand.
There was free fruit in the room and their own branded water is free. If you want anything else from the mini bar then you will pay over the odds but it's well stocked with beer, wine, coke, sprite and there are even a selection of small bottles of whisky, vodka and gin.
The indoor jacuzzi was a real bonus. We used it every day but make sure to fill it right up otherwise you risk the water being jettisoned over the room!
There are also 2 activities on every day from Palm leaf folding to Thai language lessons to Thai boxing. We never took advantage of these as it was just too hot!
The resort itself was very clean and well maintained. Always plenty of towels available for you to sunbathe either by the pool or on the beach.
Drinks and food can be quite expensive from the bar and restaurant unless its happy hour(s) which were 12-1pm, 5-6pm and 9-10pm which was 50% off beers and cocktails.
We tended to eat at a little restaurant down the road called I-Talay which was lovely and cheaper than the hotel but bare in mind they will shut at 9pm and last orders are 8:30.

Some tips.
Breakfast is from 6:30 to 10:30 and not 11am as stated in the in room directory! We turned up at 10:30 one morning (still getting used to the time difference) to find everything cleared away but when we pointed the anomaly to the hotel they were very accommodating and allowed us to order what we wanted.

There are free push bikes you can borrow from the hotel as well. There is a 7/11 about 3km away where we stocked up on some cheaper supplies (beers, snacks toothpaste etc) There is also a cash machine here.

If you are travelling this time of year, expect it to rain! It rained every day but it's not that inconvenient and only lasts for short times, maybe 1 hour. But you don't mind swimming in the pool (which was very warm) when it's raining.

It is very remote! Besides the restaurant we ate in the nearest one was a 20 minute walk in the other direction and their prices do take advantage of the remote location.

Overall a very nice place to stay and if I returned to Koh Samui I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jannettaphil
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Jannettaphil,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review on your recent stay at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Taling Ngam.

It is always motivating to hear that you enjoyed our many of our facilities and activities and have so many positive things to say. It is much appreciated and I will definitely share your kind words with all the staff.

Should you plan on returning to Samui, please do let me know so I can assist with the arrangement.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The breakfast was excellent, people so nice, a small gym on the top with a breathtaking view of the seaside and sunset... The room with a jacuzzi and a balcony where enjoy the sunset.. Quiet and relaxing.. Nice pool..

• Stayed: November 2013
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Fabrizio F,

Thank you for choosing The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa Taling Ngam and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our facilities contributed an unforgettable holiday. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back to Samui in the hopefully not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived here after two weeks of slumming it on Thailand's beaches and I have to say it was one of the strangest, worst experiences of the trip. I'm not sure what went wrong for us since the reviews are so great compared to our experience and we were so disappointed. I wasn't sure how to even review this place, as we were there in June.

I will just highlight some of the issues we had, as nothing seemed to go right.

Before going to Thailand, we were told about the motorcycle scams (hotels stealing the keys or helmets, etc and having bad bikes that break down and the owner charging you 10,000+ baht to fix it). One of our weirdest situations at the hotel was when we rented a scooter directly from them and we had a great time driving it around Koh Samui to explore since the hotel's location was not that great. We had the scooter for 2 days and after the first day, we left the key attached to one of the helmets so we knew where it was in the morning. The next morning after breakfast we returned to the room after housekeeping had been there. We were going to take the scooter to some temples that day and the key was no longer with the helmets. We immediately went to the front desk to inform them. We went through all our luggage, clothes, towels, etc. They refused to have housekeeping check the trash and the laundry saying they would have noticed. They were incredibly rude about the situation and long story short, attempted to charge us almost $100 for the key. The whole situation was SO fishy and they forced us to speak with the owner of the scooter, who was apparently not even affiliated with the hotel and spoke no English. The woman screamed at us for thirty two minutes, literally, I counted. My boyfriend was so upset that he informed the hotel that this behavior was not acceptable and he was wasting so much money to pay for the key that we had kept in a safe place.

After a while of arguing, the hotel was nice enough to give us two complimentary spa treatments (which were excellent) as well as a sunset dinner. Unfortunately, it rained so we had dinner at the restaurant. When we got to dinner, we were finally over the situation, as the hotel had been kind in their apology. The concierge then came over to our table and started asking about what happened. We thought he was just going to apologize so we said it was just a bad situation but was over now. He then pushed the subject and said we were wrong, we were lying and he was defending the hotel. Here we are, eating a romantic meal and the concierge is causing a huge scene. I told him to please leave us in peace and he kept talking so I got up to leave. My boyfriend told him he ruined our evening and he should be ashamed of himself. We ended up with two free bottles of wine and a cake in the room.

We were leaving the next day, thank God. What a bizarre place. They forced us to pay $100 when they ended up spending way over that to apologize for their despicable behavior.

If you do stay here, do NOT rent the scooters, do not trust the management to be professional and do not eat at their overpriced restaurant. We found the cutest little place down the road called I - Talay Nasai Garden (check out my review if you're interested). Honestly, I- Talay was the only redeeming quality of this place.

Room Tip: Splurge on the little private villas
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MLE91
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear MLE91,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. However, I regret to hear of the disappointment aspects regarding to the motorbike key and communication issues.

I apologized that your holiday did not go well as planned and we wished we could have sorted out this issue for you better at that time.

Again, thank you for your valued feedbacks and I do hope that you shall not allow these few incidents to damage your perception of our resort.

I sincerely hope you will consider a return visit in the future as we would like to welcome you once again to deliver you the memorable and relaxing island holiday experience.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Quiet, peaceful, intimate. We loved it here! We stayed in one of the beach villas and it was heavenly waking up to the sight of sand, sea and hearing the waves crash. Did not want to leave. It is very convenient to just rent a bike to move around on the island and it is also very easy to get around. The location of this hotel is great as it is not too far out from anywhere and yet still retains the quiet tranquility. Although some of the girls managing the front office could've smiled more and be more friendly, the rest of the staff are still very helpful. The food in the restaurant is not too yummy but places to eat are aplenty in the area and a walk out will lead you to 'the five islands' restaurant which serves amazing food..not too expensive but not cheap either..love the atmosphere here :) Another cheaper alternative is to walk along the beach and there is a nice little restaurant by the beach which also has good food. We went there everyday once we found it.

We celebrated New Year's here but the NYE's buffet dinner was disappointing. The selection of food needs to be improved. Also celebrated my birthday here and got a lovely surprise in the room..a birthday cake and beautiful flowers..although my birthday was the day before but still it was nice gesture for them to remember :)

The villas were really gorgeous..2 outdoors showers so we didn't have to fight over who showered first and a huge jacuzzi tub..2 sinks too where I could go through my daily facial routine without my other half getting in the way :p lol.although when it rains, it can be hard to take a hot shower..hahaha

Room Tip: The beach villas are the best!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatSee
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear KatSee,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your recent experience. We are glad to know that you enjoyed facilities and the Beachfront Pool Villa.

Your valuable remark about the food quality is much appreciated. We will definitely take this constructive feedback and improve our products immediately.

Should you come back to Koh Samui again, we would be delighted to welcome you back!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights following a seven night stay in Koh Tao.

When we arrived at the hotel we were given a warm welcome by the hotel staff and we were told all about the hotel facilities which was excellent. We had a sunset jacuzzi room which was fantastic and definitely lived up to the expectations - we were in room 6. One thing I would mention is that on two occasions we had to ask for our room to be made up (after 1pm) and our room was only 'turned down' once - we stayed three nights.

The front desk staff were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast each morning was good and I really liked the homemade breads and jams - try the coconut jam.
The pool area, beach and surrounding areas were all very well-kept. The only negative is that the rest of the beach further down from the hotel was very dirty, which really let it down.

WORD OF WARNING: Do not stay at this hotel if you like to venture outside of the resort - we were unaware how secluded the hotel is and if we had known how secluded it was I wouldn't have stayed here. We knew that the area would be quiet, but we didn't realise just how quiet.

I completely understand that some people prefer to stay in a resort and if that person is you, then great, stay here! However, if you are like me and you like to explore the surrounding area, I would stay somewhere else.

We used the hotel bicycles everyday to get around and go out for lunch - the bikes were not in good condition (breaks and gears) and we had to ask maintenance to fix the wobbly bike seats and oil the chains. On a positive note, this was done right away and only took about five minutes. However, the bikes really need to be replaced as they have all seen better days.

The hotel food was ridiculously overpriced for what it was, especially as we found other restaurants down the road for around one third of the price. On the one evening that we decided to eat in the restaurant we were given some appetizers from the chef - crisps with a chili jam and spring roll. The crisps were stale and chewy and the spring roll which was stone cold.

We thought we would use the free spa facilities (sauna, steam, ice room), however, we were disappointed to see that the steam room wasn't available at the time. We had a great massage at the little restaurant next door for 300 Baht each. To be honest, I would have much rather used the hotel spa if it had been more affordable but we could not justify the cost.

Personally, I couldn't have stayed longer than the three nights that we had booked. I completely understand all of the 5 star reviews on here as, overall, the hotel is good. For me, the rating really goes down due to the location and number of small details which have the potential to be improved. I really do think that if the pricing was re-evaluated more people would use the services.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Claudia2289
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Claudia2289,

Thank you very much for taking time to post a review. We are glad to know that the warmness and the efficiency of staff were up to your expectation; however, it is sadden to hear your disappointment on the location as we do hope all guests reserving their stay with us would enjoy the peaceful, private and relaxing atmosphere.

Your constructive feedbacks in several areas are very useful and greatly appreciated. We are continuously working hard to improve quality of service, food and products.