“Relax in a romantic, small & peaceful resort”

The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the sunset jacuzzi room. The room was on the 2nd floor with beautiful views on the resort, beach and sunset. The resort is small, quiet, located on a nice empty beach. Next to the hotel there is the Intercontinental hotel and some private luxury villas.

What we appreciated the most:
- the hotel manager greeted us personally at arrival and departure
- the location is quiet and far away from touristy areas like chaweng.
- at the pool, sunbeds were never all occupied (no need to get up early;-)
- the hotel atmosphere is very romantic (beautiful lightening throughout the resort at night; in the evening they set up 4 dinner tables with candles on the beach)
- there is one beach restaurant 5min walk away (i-Talay) where you can get some cheaper and ok food. We liked the hotel food just as much (excellent food presentation!)
- the hotel provides free water every day in your room and even at the hotel beach, which we appreciated a lot since there is no store in the area.
- all activities at hotel (except thai boxing) are free. They have thai language, thai massage and fruit carving lessons, etc. You can even get a bike or a kayak for free.

We recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for privacy and relaxation far away from everything.

Room Tip: The hotel's lowest category (sunset jacuzzi room) is great with nice views. Most of them are on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Myrtille9
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Myrtille9,

Thank you very much for taking time sharing your memorable experience on TripAdvisor.

We are cheered to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our facilities contributed an unforgettable holiday. Your positive comments really drive us more motivation to continue delivering the genuine hospitality.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Bin there for 2 week. Best stay ever. Quite, sunset privat. Very very friendly staff. They organized everything. Trips, car rental, transfer anywhere on the island. It is so nice. We had the beachfront villa with our privat garden and pool and sea view. directly on the beach. we enjoyed having dinner on the beach.
Not comparable with the other places like chewing or lamai. They are crowed.
If you what holiday in paradis choose this hotel.
Thanks to everybody for having such a good time!!!

They speak english, french, german :) Danke schön!!! :)

Room Tip: beach front villa.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear LKGermany,

Thank you very much for choosing us and for taking time sharing your recent experience with us.

It is such a delight to learn that our location, facilities and staff were the key parts of your wonderful holiday.

The team is looking forward to welcoming you back!!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Our last destination in Thailand. we had Booked a Jacuzzi Deluxe Room and were prepared to get a Smaller room. Instead we got the most Beautiful Room with the most Beautiful View!

The Hotel is clean and has verry friendly staff. Special thanks to Yan and AOM.. also the wonderful Breakfast (Best we had in thailand), The Egg Lady and also the Guy where really Sweet. Give them a Smile they will give it back.

The Rooms: I Guess we could not go wrong with Room 104 :) bur I guess you cant with any of the Rooms. They all have Ocean, Pool and Sunset view. Large Jacuzzi and Balcony! every evening they put a Orchid or a folded Leaf with explanation and goodnights wishes.. what i personally found verry Sweet.

The Pool we did not use due to the Beautiful Beach.. but it looked verry Beautiful, and has a Bar in the Water.

The Beach: Always a bit windy, what you will love by 30C.. water is Clear and the ground is Sandy. The Beach is Quiet and Peacefull with Wonderful view of the five Islands and every Day Sunset... just WOW!!

Restaurand: Had a Pad Thai at the Pool Restaurand wich was expensive but verry Good.. And participated at a Cultural dinner with Dancing show and Buffet, we liked! The Breakfast is verry Good... who needs more is verry Complicated.. Joghurt, 5 Juises, 1 Smoothie, Choice of 2 different toasts, two breads, Croissants and something Sweet like Muffin or so (dont eat Sweet in the morning).
Eggs your choice you can order at the Buffet, different meats and Cheeses, Warm stuff like oven Tomatos, Hashbrowns, Mushrooms ect. Lots of Fresh fruits. Flakes and Fruits for Müsli, Homemade Yam and more.. it variates a bit! verry good!

SPA: Sweet Spa Manager!
we did not get treatment at the Spa looked good thow.. I had one Manicure for 800B the quality was bit poor.. but I can imagine the Massages are verry good.

all in all it was just Beautiful.
Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank GabrielleTakata

Dear GabrielleTakata,

Thank you very much for writing the touching review on TripAdvisor.

I am more than happy to know that our effort and genuine hospitality have made your holiday memorable. The compliments would be definitely passed through all staff.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Sunset Beach for 3nights on my own last week.

Perfect weather helped to make it a memorable holiday,

First impression was fantastic, a refreshing drink and greeting from the resort manager. No one by the pool. It seemed quiet yet was fully booked.

I stayed in a Garden Jacuzzi Villa which was right next to the pool.

It had a large bedroom with a lovely courtyard including a sala, table & chairs, sun lounger and a cold water jacuzzi plunge pool. Behind the Villa was an outdoor bathroom which was huge, including a jacuzzi bath - great for star gazing at night.
The only down side was I felt this lacked a little privacy, with slight views down from above. I would prefer a few pot plants to block any view from the hotel rooms looking down.

The beach is breath taking, clean and quiet. No hawkers. The Intercontinental is right next door, and the only other hotel on the beach. There's a jetty where you can walk along, go fishing or jump off into the deep water.

The pool is lovely and as I said very quiet. Although the music was a little loud for my taste, and varied from classic, rock to pop, then blues. I would prefer no music or quiet lounge music.

I didn't use the spa as the weather was perfect for swimming and sun bathing.

The breakfast was adequate for my taste. Eggs, bacon etc always available, and then a small selection of the usual - cereal, great breads, croissants, yoghurts, fruits, meats etc. I was the only person at b/fast for 3 mornings in a row.

I found lunch/dinner was pretty disappointing. I didn't enjoy the prawns & calamari, pork fried rice or chicken chili stir fry. The garden salad was fresh, but nothing was really a great taste, so then I chose to eat at I-Talay and I would highly recommend it. Food was a much better quality and taste. Cheaper price. It's only a 2 min walk along the beach. Great atmosphere there too.

The service was generally good. The pool bar staff were especially friendly and happy.

Internet offered for free was slow and was not always working, but when you see everyone there on a mobile device it's not that surprising. I used roaming as an alternative when the free wi-fi wasn't working.

I found the bed ok, but I like a firm mattress. The only negative was that it could use a mattress pad so you don't feel like you are sleeping on 2 single beds.

I loved the location! I was looking for a quiet relaxing holiday. Previously I've stayed at the Amari Chaweng Beach but that is too busy these days.

This resort is about as far away from the madness of Chaweng as you can get. Loved it. They have bicycles for free hire, so I did a bike ride each morning which is great as the road is long and flat and quiet too.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Garden Villa Jacuzzi, while it doesn't have a view of the sunset, the beach is a few steps away so I actually preferred to sit there to watch it each evening, it offers lots of space and privacy.

The only complaint is that I think the gate should be lockable from the inside for maximum privacy, and the sliding door should also dead lock from the inside. Just for added security and important if you're travelling alone. Although, I should add this resort feels incredibly safe.

Definitely worth the extra money for me rather than a standard room.

I stayed in 204, all the Garden Jacuzzi Villas are next to the pool. On the next trip with family we will stay in the Beach Pool Villa - they look amazing! Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pablo1chuck
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear pablo1chuck,

Thank you for choosing The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa Taling Ngam and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

It is always cheering to hear that our guest enjoyed our many of our facilities and have so many positive things to say. It is much appreciated.

will take your feedback especially on the food quality as motivation to work even harder to exceed our guest’s expectations and beyond.

The Team looks forward to welcoming you back to Samui in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was amazed by the hospitality and friendliness of the staff at the hotel. It was nothing less than a 5-star. The room was nice and clean and faced the sunset. Activities were being held daily if you're interested in joining any. It has a clean and quiet surrounding being in this part of the island. The only downside is the food that I thought was not as authentic as I would expect.

1  Thank carmz1009
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear carmz1009,

Thank you very much for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to be part of your memorable holiday.

We are also thrilled to know that staff was the highlight of your stay and we will definitely work on the food quality.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights as part of our stay on the island.

First impression was great, large rooms with great view of the ocean. Complimentary water throughout. Beautiful pool, great quiet beach, lovely spa.

Spa
My boyfriend had a lovely spa treatment, really amazing, and can be highly recommended. Its more expensive than the ones on the beach, but worth it.

Restaurant
Although breakfast was adequate (beware of the unfriendly omelette-lady), lunch/dinner was truly disappointing. The service was decent, but where the restaurant lacked was the quality of the food. The first time we tried a local dish (you cannot go wrong with something local... right?), but sadly the shrimps and noodles were severely overcooked. The second time round (we had learned the chef was actually international), we tried the burger, which was overcooked and tasteless, and the bun was soggy.
Instead I would recommend to leave the resort and visit "The Five Islands", "The Island View" and "I-talay", much better quality at minutes walk.

In general the service was all-round good. The team was friendly, always smiling, always greeting. Although due to the lack of guests eating in the restaurants at the hotel (due to the food quality) they often stood around talking to other team members.

Rooms
The rooms are spacious and have all facilities you would expect. Unfortunately the bath products were cheap, and it was an all in one (who knew you could combine shampoo, shower gel and conditioner into one product?) solution.
Internet offered for free was slow and was not always working.

Sleep
The BEDS were DREADFUL, they had selected the hardest most uncomfortable mattresses available. I think a small investment into Super Topper bed covers will do wonders to the bed-satisfaction.

The main challenge of the hotel is its location. We loved that it was quiet, but due to the low quality food, we quickly ran out of lunch/dinner options. Leaving us bored after 4 days, and excited to move to a busier part of the island.

Room Tip: Go for the standard rooms, they have a lovely view. The Villas (more expensive) do not seem to have...
2  Thank MatthijsPrague
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear MatthijsPrague,

Thank you very much for taking time sharing your recent experience with us.

Your valuable feedbacks regarding food quality and staff manner are very useful and considered the learning tools for us to improve our service and products.

However, we are disappointed that some of your concerns were not brought to our attention during your stay, so we could not to be able to offer the solutions for your stay challenges or to share useful information to make your stay more enjoyable.

Should you return to Samui, it would be pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This resort was one of the best I stayed with on Samui, very beautiful with the very nice beds, great showers with the best water pressure. the views at this resort are very spectacular and the sunset is not to be missed. The resort is out of the way so is great for a couple that just want to relax away from it all

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Wesley D,

Thank you very much for staying with us here at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Taling Ngam!!!

It is such a pleasure to know that you had a relaxing and memorable holiday. Your feedback is really motivating our team spirit to carry on and to improve our product and service quality to the higher level.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards,

Sea Dance Resort
#2 of 185 in Bophut
Nora Beach Resort and Spa
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

Been to The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam? Share your experiences!