“Its paradise... in paradise.”

Nikki Beach Resort Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lipa Noi
New York City, New York
“Its paradise... in paradise.”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I’ve just checked out of Nikki Beach two days ago to continue our well-rounded Samui visit and move to another hotel (review to come!). But the truth is: I wish I had known a bit about the location so that I would have booked rooms for our entire holiday! When I was last on the island the resort had yet to open up but since I’m familiar with the Nikki Beach brand and enjoy the whole beach club concept, I figured I’d give the hotel a try. Initially, we were really worried we would confront the boisterous nightclub setting after sundown but when we called to ask a bit about the place, we were ensured it’s a very laidback location and there would be absolutely none of that. It could not have been more of a perfect atmosphere to really unwind… It is on the other side of the island, completely removed from the tourism madness of Chaweng and Lamai, which was all I really wanted this trip. I know Chaweng and Lamai have the attractions and majority of the high-end restaurants but the staff at the hotel really never had a problem arranging for us to be transported wherever we wanted – with the friendly staff even recommending some really great places to check out since so many new places have sprouted up in the past couple of years.

There aren’t very many bungalows on the property but the pool is open to the public, so visitors stroll in and out through the day. However, they’re all likeminded, never encountered anyone obnoxious (I have some previous Samui horror stories)… everyone was just looking to have some good food and great mojitos while they enjoyed the pool and the music being played by their resident DJ. It was really nice to be in a low-key environment that didn’t seem like a retirement home. Additionally, there’s plenty of staff so I never felt, as a hotel guest, that I was being ignored for day-customers. Every employee was really attentive and everything we ordered came out just as we expected in a timely fashion (very hard to find in Thailand).

If anyone knows a thing or two about Nikki Beach and its food, it’s no secret everything is amazing. I had many morning trips to their gym out of pure guilt because I was a bit gluttonous the entire time. I never turned down the opportunity to have their lava cake after every meal; I’m not proud but it was THAT good. We even had the chance to chat a bit with their sous chef and find out how they’ve incorporated all the fresh ingredients of the island to really make their signature dishes stand out. Apparently the original chef works out of this location, so we got to enjoy food just as the brand’s menu intended. With the original chef on board, the notorious Sunday Brunch that started my loyalty to the brand years ago is wonderful here. Always fully stocked and having just about everything I could want, brunch really is a must-do when on the island… guest or not. Something I've never experienced at the other locations is this Mediterranean buffet they have every Wednesday. The set-up is pretty similar to the Sunday Brunch except it only features food from various Mediterranean countries and it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Luckily, they have some availability open for the last few days of this trip, so we’ll be checking out early and returning… Looking forward to days of wandering from beach to pool, having cocktails on one of the poolside beds and taking in the best sunset I’ve ever witnessed. And the beeeed…. Oh, the bed in the bungalow – it is absolutely everything like what I imagined being swallowed into a fluffy cloud feels like. I became very fond of my post-mojito afternoon nap every day. Obviously, I really enjoy time off from work and Nikki Beach is now my perfect escape.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SalFemke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I have stayed at Nikki Beach now for 2 new years in a row and love the place! The staff is on point to make sure you have everything you need. It is on the quiet side of the island away from the back packers so if you are looking for that type of stay this is not the place for you. The pool is filled with beautiful people and great music. It is a little far from everything but all you have to do is take a taxi or rent a scooter and you can get around. I would for sure stay here again and with the new edition of the larger villas they are building it will be a must stay!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Bungalows were nice, very comfy beds. Breakfast is the same everyday, you have 3 breakfasts to choose from...basic, thai, american..which is the basic one plus eggs and bacon. A bit of variation would be appreciated.
Stayed there for 3 nights, were the only guests as it is low season. There's a massive amount of staff running around who notice every move you make...quite uncomfortable. Had lunch only once and were not so impressed. The pool area is splendid...as per nikki beach's level, but also with staff to be as pretentious as in other clubs. This is what we would expect in Europe, but not in Thailand; it's quite inappropriate.
What we would have expected as hotel guests is a little extra e.g. if you go to the pool area after breakfast, it would be nice to get complimentary chilled water to start your day...not a menu card pushed in your hands and having someone ask you every 30min if you want to order anything to drink.
Location is quite remote...you need a scooter or car to go anywhere if you don't want to stay at nikki beach 24/7.
All in all, Nikki beach is nice to go to for a day, just to hang around the pool, have a drink, snack or dinner, but not perse for an overnight stay...except if you had too much to drink to drive to your hotel safely;-)

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Bo-Boheme
BFH1981, General Manager at Nikki Beach Resort Koh Samui, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Hello, Thank you very much for staying at Nikki Beach here in Koh Samui. Also, Thank you as well for taking the time to write your comments about your experience.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the bungalows themselves. They are indeed very well put together, stylish and very comfortable. We do have a large staff, employees here become "permanent" after 3 months, and we need to carry a fairly large staff, especially for the high season (even though we must carry them through low season as well), and also because (thankfully) demand here has grown quite a bit since the resort opened until the present.
I am concerned about your comments about the food and the "over selling". On behalf of all of us here I apologize for that experience, and I am happy to say that for some time now we have been receiving mainly superb reviews (on internet and in person),about our food, service, and the resort in general.
I will keep your comments in mind though, as we go through our daily operation to insure that we excel and continue to give our guests' the great food and service that they deserve.
I surely hope you'd give us a try again in the future, I am positive that you would have a great experience. And if not here at Nikki Beach Koh Samui, maybe another of our Nikki Beach locations!
Thank you again for your stay as well as your remarks about your experience. They are duly noted and much appreciated!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lipa Noi
#2 of 187 in Bophut
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Nikki Beach Resort Koh Samui? Share your experiences!