“There's no reason to stay here - unsafe and horrible breakfast.”

Rajapruek Samui Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lipa Noi
London, United Kingdom
“There's no reason to stay here - unsafe and horrible breakfast.”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The reviews on tripadviser made me book this hotel however it was a big mistake. I usually agree with the reviews on trip adviser but I don't understand what good aspects previous reviewers see in this place.

My partner and I were backpacking and this was a treat, expectations were not high however we did expect more for a three star. I did notice that there were some improvements going on whilst we were staying so I'm trying to make this as constructive as possible.

The building and rooms are tired looking and worn. The grounds are unkept and the whole place looks a bit messy, e.g parts of sun loungers left round the back pool, which kids threw into the pool. Our room (standard) was clean but very basic no kettle and very old units.

The thing that bothered us the most was the safety issues. The back swimming pool had broken tiles all over the bottom of the pool and round the edge seriously sharp broken tiles like blades. On one occasion a woman jumped off the end of the pool and cut her foot on one of the broken tiles. That pool needs to be shut until the tiles are replaced, it's so dangerous especially for kids.

The beach had rubbish all over the place and the staff did not address this issue. I saw other guests tidying up the beach. There was broken bottles and planks of wood with nails sticking up. Obviously not the hotels fault for what gets washed up overnight but surely would be nice if they tidied it up before the guests showed up on the beach.

The way you get onto the beach is again another risk you take at Rajapruek. You have to jump down around half a meter onto pipes and concrete, perhaps build some steps?!

There is just a lack of management at this hotel where basic things like safety is not a priority. They need more people sorting out and maintaining the grounds.

The staff were lovely and helpful though.

The breakfast was shocking. Hot food was cold and flies were all over the fruit. Breakfast finished at half 10 but get down to breakfast after 9 and there was nothing left. It took ages for the staff to refill empty trays which was annoying. The atmostphere in the restaurant was terrible reminding me of a work cafe, silent and weird, put some background music on!

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the evenings as on the first day we stayed we were told there was a buffet every night and we couldn't order of the menu. We decided to go to Big John's restaurant on around 50 meters walk along the beach. I'd recommend eating there, lovely setting and great menu.

In terms of the location, it's in a quiet part of Koh Samui. Nothing around in walking distance.

We put up with it as we were on a budget but if we have come to Rajapruek on holiday I would have been very upset. People with kids did not bother, it's dangerous. Remortgage your house, take out a loan or save for another year to stay somewhere better than this!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
RajapruekSamuiResort, Manager at Rajapruek Samui Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Dear AnnaT

Thank you very much for taking your time to write the constructive review on TripAdvisor. We are truly appreciated your valuable feedback in order to improve our service in the future. Our guest’s satisfaction is the main objective in our hotel and we are trying hard to meet the customer satisfaction.

We are very sorry to hear that your recent stay at Rajapruek Samui Resort does not meet your expectation.

We have now built the stairs to the beach as you can see in the picture.

During the breakfast time in the morning, we have received other guests complaint for the music as it is disturbed his sleeping so we decide to keep it quiet. We need to find other solution to manage this issue.

Your satisfaction and well-being are of most importance to us and we hope to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Wanlaya Thamsuntorn
The Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This hotel is located on the beach and this is definately the only reason to stay here. Bed was comfortable and air conditioner worked well. Hotel front desk staff was very nice. The rooms are tired and the room amenities were poor. The location is not convenient to dining or shopping and taxis cost us 600 to 900 baht each way, depending on where we were going. Breakfast items were always cold so we did not try any other meals at hotel. The beach is not large however great for swimming and for kids to play. If you want a reasonably priced stay on a beach to just chill for a couple of days, great beach. Rooms are just acceptable and location not good for anything else!

Room Tip: Definately all about the beach so if you can afford would definately go for the bungalows right on t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberly29
Broken Hill, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My partner and I greatly enjoyed our stay here. Clean, nice rooms, friendly staff, good restaurant, lovely pools and all on the beach front.
Far enough away that it is nice and quiet but only 5 minutes ride from Na Thon pier which has restaurants and a large street shopping district.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I hope to stay here on my next visit to Koh Samui :)

Room Tip: Make sure you specify 'double bed' if you are a couple, otherwise you may end up with a sing...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my wife from 24 - 26th December and found that their service are excellent. Good customer service. Quiet and relax environment. Far away from the 2 main beaches of Koh Samui and a good place for relaxation.

If you are not looking into those 5 stars hotel amenities and most of the things that you do not need in the first place, I would recommend this hotel.

Lipa Noi beach are also much calmer as it is facing the mainland and not the Gulf of Thailand thus definitely much more suitable for kids or non swimmer to enjoy the sea. Two swimming pools and it can be quite private on the bigger one.

After 26th, I moved to Marina Villa to experience Lamai Beach and suffice to say, bad choice to move to that hotel.

My final comment, a 3 stars hotel but with a 4 stars customer service

Room Tip: Do you really need a room in front of the pool? If not it's lower cost for you to take upstairs...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rian L
Reviewed 2 January 2013

After my 1month backpacking travel in Thailand, I booked this hotel to be my last bit of luxury before I went home. I was really disappointed to say the least. I was a solo traveller but I was given a twin room with 2 single beds because they were fully booked. After that I went to the restaurant to order food and another lady and I found hair in our food. The cost of the food was overpriced and the staff serving the food couldn't speak English at all. I think the hotel is overpriced and a huge let down if you intend to have a luxurious stay. I hope this helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

If you are lookin to escape the hustle and bustle of Koh Samui this hotel is the one for you. The rooms are decent, the A/C and hot water work (when there's water pressure and / or power) and the beach is decent in that you can actually swim easily.

If you want to say, have a moderately decent meal outside of the resort or neighbor Nikki Beach, you will be out of luck. Down the road, a right out of the resort and roughly 500m, there is a little restaraunt / conscience store run by a friendly lady that is decently priced for good Thai food. Avoid the pizzeria across the road - its not worth while.

Rates for things like laundry (40-60 baht per kilo) and scooters (200-250 per day) are very high in this area in comparison to other parts of the island. The free kayaks are a nice way to go and see the little that occupies the beach in either direction.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this resort with my wife and 4 year old. The easiest way to review this place is with straight pros and cons...... (please note that this was not my first trip to Koh Samui but it was my first to this resort)
PROS
- amazing beach access. A couple of bungalows which right on the beach. The beach is very clean and one can just all along the beach from one end to the other
- two pools if you really don't like getting into the sea water
- good wifi (in case this is important)
- decent breakfast
- flexibility of reception staff
- good massage service even in rooms

CONS
- the biggest drawback is the lack of English language skills of 90% staff. And I mean even relative to other hotels in Koh Samui and Thailand in general. We encountered only three staff members who understood English. When I mean lack of skills, I mean even simple words like: towel or umbrella.
- lack of room phones. Hence regular trips to reception desk
- place is understaffed
- restaurant food wasn't good. So we went to the more expensive Big Johns restaurant for every other meal.

All in all we had a very relaxing stay. We might even go back to this place if we get the same room.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Uttarakhandi
#11 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Lamai Buri Resort
Lamai Buri Resort
#13 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Rajapruek Samui Resort? Share your experiences!