“Sorry, we were underwhelmed here.”

National Roman Legion Museum
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Caerleon
Swansea
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Sorry, we were underwhelmed here.”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We expected more from this visit after reading tripadviser and other reviews, but it simply didn't excite us. We found the museum very average, the staff friendly but a bit patronising to the children, the garden mediocre...I had to double check I was reviewing the right place as our thoughts differ from others do much! It was very hard to find food too eat here on a Sunday as the museums had nothing and the local cafe we were directed to was hard to find and, true to form, very mediocre. The amphitheatre was an amphitheatre - also hard to find with poor directional signage, and incredibly cold as so exposed. The baths were presented in a modern building and these were good. When we arrived there were folk having a tour and they seemed to be enjoying themselves and receiving lots of useful
Information...but this seemed to be a private tour and not available to visitors in general. I tried to earwig but they were near the end!! Overall an average day out and I would only return if the kids are studying Rome and Romans.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Cartiger

Ross on Wye, null, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Really Fantastic”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My son (6) and I spent a lovely afternoon wondering around Caerleon.

It was my first visit and I was extremely impressed. The Museum is beautiful really well laid out and the fact that a lot of the artefacts are nearly 2000 years old is literally mind blowing. The staff were wonderfully friendly and knowledgeable.

The museum is full of artefacts of varying types from delicate glass to a legionaries helmet. the garden outside is of an authentic Roman style and when we went there was interactive demonstrations for the children. The mock up of the barrack room was a delight.

If like me you have a limited knowledge of Roman history in Britain this wonderful place will provide an excellent starting point, for those well versed in all things Roman I'm sure it would be equally enjoyable.

If I were to go again I would take a picnic to eat at the amphitheatre but there are pubs to hand if not.

Go you wont regret it!

2 Thank Clairebrampton08
Escondido, California
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A window into Roman life”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

OK, so it's a little hokey. But Caerleon is all about Romans, and here you can try being one! They have all sorts of interactive stuff; I'm sure it's great for kids. My teen and I tried on the Roman helmet and armor--it was all such fun.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank MegDesc
Cardiff, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“so interesting”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

all good well put together exhibition,ideal for adults and children ,very informative .Nice items in the shop also not overpriced

1 Thank ellenkidd
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Shame it got spoilt”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I live locally, and when family visit we always take them to the museum, and we have always had a great time.we have taken several groups of children who always do the quiz and really enjoy it and get given a pencil or toy at the end by the staff who mark their answers. This time when I took my cousins children they weren't given anything at the end. Not a problem, but the children before us were, and the children afterwards were. We are English, they were Welsh. I was upset as I didn't expect to be treated like that at the museum. we always tell people how lovely it is there, but now, I don't think I will go again. Such a shame the staff was so racist.

4 Thank Rachel W