“Friendly Pub/Hotel (Motel?) - OK for the occasional stay”

The Stuffed Dormouse Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Caerleon B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Friendly Pub/Hotel (Motel?) - OK for the occasional stay”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Situated overlooking a minor road there was no issue with noise. I stayed in July and my room was under the eaves. There was only a small opening window and it became oppressively hot over-night. The room was small but ok - in the morning the plumbing showed several signs of needing maintenance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chainset

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I felt I may have made a mistake booking this hotel after reading the reviews, but how wrong was I! I found the hotel the be clean, comfortable and unbelievably friendly. I was staying on my own but was made to feel at home. So much so, that I will be returning again very soon. A big thank you to everyone at The Roman Lodge

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
brian a, Owner at The Stuffed Dormouse Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Newport
Reviewed 9 January 2011

My girlfriend had training at St Cadocs hospital, as she lives in Caerphilly we thought it would be easier and cost us around the same in travel costs to stay at a local hotel in Caerleon.
I booked a couple of days off work as i seen it as a good time to relax when she was at training and i wasn't wrong it was just what i needed, i had a relaxing time at the hotel, the beds were comfortable the room was nice, warm and cozy.
I had easy access to the internet, and the staff were very nice and very helpful.
I don't agree at all with the negative comments i have read on here, i recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank daleo4
brian a, Owner at The Stuffed Dormouse Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My title review tells it all,what dump of a place.We had a room you could not swing a cat in.The bathroom was as one of your reviewers said so small the basin so big you could sit on edge of the bath and lean on it and shave at the same time.Their was a pump outside our room which went on at 6.ooam and went of at 11.00pm so you could not go to bed early for the noise.Also you could not flush the toilet during the night as the pump was used for pressure to the toilet,so you had to wait till it went 6.00am the next day to flush it all away.The shower was useless no pressure till till 6.00am as well ,it did smell rather damp and noisy floorboards.The food was awfull and the price of his beer at five pounds a time was a bit over the top.The breakfast was basic as other reviewers have said,also it was Ryder Cup week but this was a total rip off at £198.00 a night.As we had to stay an extra night we thought we would revert to normal tariff, but Basil Faulty (Brian) was having none of it ,as he said it was still Ryder Cup.We spoke to people at other places and they just laughed at the price and said we could have stayed at Celtic Manor hotel for that kind of money.I had an American friend with me and he could not believe what they were charging, he said they should be taken up fraud.I diffinately would not reccomend this aged property to anybody and their friends avoid at all cost.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Well where do you begin was charged £170 per room, OK it was the Ryder Cup week but what a shock, Rooms are in need of extensive refurbishment! mouldy smell everywhere, smelly, dirty carpets,food was unbelievably poor ( frozen food crap ) Landlord was like Basil Faulty, when asked why they charged so much for such a poor quality room he said @ well its Ryder Cup Week' we can charge what we like! say no more! breakfast consisted of tea/coffee & toast!
Never Again!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Wirral
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Most of the descritions that describe the hotel as tired and in need of attention are correct .It does feel like something from "Life On Mars" , not a place to stay if you intend to spend any time in your room .
I found the hotel alright for my perpose of wanting the cheapest available location near to my place of work within my subsitance budget .
If spending my own money would not stay in this hotel or purchase a breakfast . However adequate for one night only if on business with colleagues , intend to be out for most of the night and want no fuss .
Found the people who worked there friendly enough and the bar seemed to pleasant with reasonable prices .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

On entrance to the hotel we asked if we could see the rooms as we had alot of suitcases with us to put away, the man rudely said "pay first" no please and said it with attitude, that was already enough for me until i got to the room to find the television doesnt even get a picture without it fading away every 2 seconds to wait 10 minutes for it to come back. The bathroom tiles wer loose and ripped off. the floor boards were squeeky, the ceiling had cracks in it and the hot water supply was terrible and after 2 minutes the water smelt like sewege.

The breakfast price was disgusting and i found a bone in the sausages.

I will NOT stay there again and i really disagree on there 3 star rating!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caerleon
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Newport Central
Holiday Inn Newport
Holiday Inn Newport
#9 of 18 in Newport

Been to The Stuffed Dormouse Hotel? Share your experiences!