“Lovely stay”
Review of Great House

Great House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caerleon
Great House
Ranked #4 of 8 Caerleon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Had a lovely stay here in May 2013 - spring blossoms and spring weather! Dinah is a warm hostess and a great gardener and her pup Tasker is a treat. The back garden overlooks the Usk tidal river - I had a room overlooking it and greatly enjoyed watching the river and its flora and fauna. Convenient to Carleon town center which has remarkable Roman sites. Also convenient to the Bell Inn (award winning gastro pub - try the local ale and cider - but perhaps not at the same time - it is potent-!) A true village B&B experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I agree with pretty much everything the other reviewer said, so needn't repeat it all. I stayed here with my dad as it was convenient location but away from Newport which isn't my favourite place in the world!! Felt very far removed from the city but still close. Ideal in that sense.

Riverside location and the Bell pub up the road made for a pleasant stay overall. It was £40 per person per night with breakfast, which wasn't bad. But I'm from London and have warped perceptions of cost!! So judge for yourself. I can't see the holiday inn or some other bland hotel up the road being any cheaper.

For a short stay it was what we were looking for. Dinah is sweet lady who's glad to offer local tips and book a table at the Bell pub. Good real ale there. Top marks.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I stayed at this B&B as a 1 night stop-over on my holiday to Wales. After a long drive ... car parking is difficult as the B&B is in a narrow one-way street, in fact, I had to 'go around' a few times to claim my space, unfortunately at a distance from the house. Dinah seemed unaware of my Internet reservation, fortunately I had a printout handy to prove it! The house is really old, it is a listed building. Low ceilings, beams and a quirky room layout as you would expect. Lounge and breakfast are downstairs, guest rooms upstairs. I had a double which was full of stuff (antiques) so you had to be really careful where to put your luggage. There are tea making facilities in the room, also a small desk with flat screen TV. I could not get the wifi Internet to work but was not too bothered to be without for the evening. The room has a washbasin with H/C only, the bathroom and toilet are shared further down the corridor. Modern building regulations and listed buildings cannot be reconciled it seems to have en-suite. My room was street-facing but quiet at night. There are pubs within walking distance, however, they are very popular with tourists and locals alike so be prepared to wait. The Roman amphitheater in Caerleon is worth a visit. The B&B is on the river bank, garden facing, weather permitting a nice spot to sit and relax. Breakfast was plenty and quite pleasant (other guests at a shared table). Traveling single, I paid top price compared to other B&B on my holiday in Wales.

Room Tip: I believe there is 1 room garden facing, though not sure whether it is a single or double. My room...