“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caerleon
The Ship Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Caerleon B&B and Inns
Newport
“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I ate here today and I have to disagree with the last review I had the fish and chips today and although it is expensive at £13.95 but it was a lovely white piece of cod and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Went to the ship pub for lunch today with family. On arival its ur bog standard pub/resturant. Found a table quite quick the pub itself looked clean but in need of an update. Fair though for the price of the meals. The waitres that served us was not overley freindly but ok. I must say as strict vegetarian there was not alot for me to chose from on menu witch i find very poor. Had to settle for a backed pottato in the end. Food took a good half an hour to arive concidring it wasnt that busy seemed a bit poor. Food its self was ok but not amazing cafe standard i would say would say fair priced a fiver. If your looking for somewear cheep and cheerfull then give it ago. If your looking for a veggie meal dont bother.

• Stayed February 2013
Newport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Visited The Ship for lunch on last saturday morning with my elderly Mother, all waitresses were very helpful and lovely and helped my Mother up and down the stairs, order was taken quickly and food arrived within 20 mins, thoroughly enjoyed my meal and so did my Mother. Tasted homemade to me and we ate every last bit of it (which is rare for my mother seeing as she is 84!!) Desserts were lovely too, as always, I think they are from Gemelli's which is always a bonus. Eaten here a few times before and never had any complaints about food, but service has been a tad poor on other occasions. Great meals and good value. Waitress with the tattoos is brilliant and the short lady with brown hair. (Sorry did not know names)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JillT4782
Newport, South East Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

Went to the Ship in Caerleon for a family meal prior to watching Skyfall, thought we would make a night of it, seating was easy, not too busy and served quite quickly, the food came it was relatively good, no concerns and reasonably priced, however that's where it started to go all wrong, took 20 minutes to take our empty plates away, had to ask twice for the desert menu, second round of drinks never arrived, after waiting another 15 minutes for our desert order we had had enough (our drinks never arrived either), and we left the pub. What a shame as there are so many pubs in Caerleon, service has to be better. Next time we'll stick to the Hanbury Arms. PS gents toilets are a disgrace as well!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ewen65
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I went here on the spur of the moment with a friend. I havent visited in years, however my friend and others who live locally like eating here as a reasonably priced venue with good main dishes and Gemelli's wonderful puds! We had a nice lunch - the lasagne was absolutely delicious (tasted home-made to me), although the garlic bread was pre-prepared. Pud lived up to the hype and the waitress was friendly enough. The only slight drawback for me is more a matter of ambience (but is it fair to criticise what essentially was a good value pub lunch?) - well having started I may as well finish! I had forgotten how dingy the place is - it isnt the decor or the cleanliness of the place, its just, well dull. I think it is the lighting (its quite an old building after all) - but it just feels as if it needs something to brighten it up. There, I've said it. Not sure what could or should be done but I would like to go there and not feel like the bulbs need replacing - sorry...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We visited The Ship Inn last sat 9th of june as two couples before attending a Charity do at The Celtic Manor. We had an exellent meal, all had different dishes. Tasty main meals, delicious desserts, all at a very reasonable price, we will definately call again when we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mandy H
Newport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Ate here May 2012, food way over-cooked, over-priced (£12.95 for fish, chips and peas) NOT cordon bleu, waitresses were nice but it took 40-50 mins for food to arrive and when it did, the batter was burnt....... having waited so long and being so hungry we decided to eat. However, the fish on the inside was as bad as the batter on the outside, dry and tasteless. We complained to the waitress afterwards, and asked for a reduction, this was granted but just £2 each, which meant we still paid £10.95 for a dreadful meal. We also complained to the chef at the bar - his excuse was 'it was a thick piece of fish it had to be cooked longer' Ahem.......... banana boat comes to mind........ and incidentally, the fish was no more than an inch thick!! The last meal we had there was ok but this has really nose-dived. My advice, steer clear if you want a good meal at a decent price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mosskyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caerleon
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Premier Inn Newport Wales (M4, J24) Hotel
Holiday Inn Newport
Holiday Inn Newport
#9 of 19 in Newport

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!