“Ruby Wedding Celebration”

Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Caerleon
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We held our Ruby Wedding Anniversary Celebration at the Priory last Sunday. We had invited 50 guests to Sunday lunch and we had a really special time with our family and friends. We found the staff to be professional and friendly with nothing being too much trouble. Our family and friends all enjoyed a really lovely Sunday lunch with plenty of choice and generous portions with lots of fresh vegetables and super desserts.
As the weather was kind, we were able to sit outside and enjoy the lovely grounds where our grandchildren could run around and the adults sit around and enjoy a leisurely drink.
A special thank you to Miguel, Steve and all the staff for helping to make our Ruby Wedding Anniversary celebration very special.

3  Thank Mamgu2014

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Beautiful location, grounds and building with ample car parking. Having been here a number of times with friends, family, for lunch, dinner and special occasions, thought I would write a review after lunch with my mum recently.

We stopped by for Friday lunch and was greeted promptly and given a table, without booking in advance.

Having been before we knew how to order, and had an idea of what comes with what (as generally all additions to meal are extra - so if someone asks if you want potatoes with your meal, check it is included in the price).It would have been nice to have been asked by staff if we had been before, however this was not the case this time. We went on to order our meals from the two course lunch menu (good value for about £12, cant believe I've forgotten the exact price already, and evening two course is around £17)

I had the anchovy brushetta which was wonderfully portioned with very large anchovies draped over peppers and drissled in oil, sumptuous!
My mum had goujons of cod, which were long thick strips of tender fish in a heavenly light and crispy batter, and were floating (rather quickly) into my mums mouth.

I had a main of sea bass which was delicately flavoured and fell off the bones with ease, and my mum had hearty lamb which was served with a red wine jus and mash, it made her day!

Service wise average, little interaction, waited a while to be asked if I needed another drink as had finished my just prior to starter and waited 10 mins for water. Decor same as several years ago, and creaky moving floor area near our table.

Overall very enjoyable largely due to surroundings, company (my mum) and beautiful food, could have been much more improved with more attentive and warm staff.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd time here and never disappointed large selection of food on the menu and as always everything we have had has been good. The breakfast in the morning is also very good.
Lovely place to stay and great food. Would recommend to anybody

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a lovely time. The rooms are cozy, the staff friendly, the grounds are lovely,the restaurant was fabulous. The manager came over at the bar and visited. We could not have found a more perfect place!!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Looks very nice, lovely grounds and ample parking at the rear. It has an upmarket feel but cosy and welcoming. Most of the staff were very attentive, especially the Maître D', though I didn't get the impression it was a happy workforce. However, having brought an unordered starter to our table which obviously wasn't claimed, the male waiter mumbled in a disgruntled and sarcastic manner, yet loud enough for most to hear, "I'll have to throw it in bin", as if it was our fault! Having expected the service of a quality restaurant, I was also not impressed to have to go to a deli style counter to view chalk board listings of the menu on offer, and order over the counter like a late night takeaway. Various fish or shellfish seemed to make up most of the dishes, and the uncooked samples were on display in the front of the counter as you'd see in the Newport market fishmongers. The strong fish smell is extremely off putting to anyone not keen on fish, especially when you're about to order! The meals only come with potato options, so if you want vegetables or side salad you pay extra. The chips were the best I've ever had anywhere though. I also note the restaurant only had a rating of 1 by the Food Standards Agency in July 2013, which was not encouraging. If it hadn't been a specially planned celebration for a colleague I wouldn't have stayed. Having said that, the meals were very nice and our whole group enjoyed what they had, which between us was a fair range from the menu. I wouldn't venture there again though.