“Lovely place, bad food”

Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Caerleon
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The gorgeous gardens here are so badly let down by pretty poor service and dire food. The staff seem more focused on telling you what you can't do and what drinks they don't serve, than helping you with what they do offer. Friends tell me the fish here is very good, but I've not tried it. The meat: A chicken dish and a veal dish were really poor, certainly not what I expected of a place that looks so good and presents itself as more up market. Really disappointing.

3  Thank Spaced55

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Priory is very close to the Museum in Caerleon. We were three, and we all ordered from the two-course set lunch menu a little after 2:00 in the afternoon. Starters: goujons of haddock, paté and whitefish. Mains: the others had baked salmon, I had fish and chips (haddock), simple but very well prepared. The chips were the real deal. It is a large venue, but we were there off of peak hours. Really very pleasant, and an open, pretty and quiet setting on the patio facing the fields around the Roman amphitheatre.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great food at very reasonable prices. 2 courses for £17.95 excellent value but also a broad range of fresh options. Dover sole was outstanding

1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were here for our surprise 25th wedding anniversary meal along with other family members.
It wouldn't have been my choice but it had been arranged.
The out side seating area looking out on to the hotel grounds is really lovely.
It was a lovely summer evening so being sat outside prior to the meal was very nice indeed.
The meal itself was poor, I expected better for the money.
At best it was ordinary , I expect better from this hotel.
Several people had the Lamb for main course and it was very tough.
Starters were just ordinary.
What made the night were the people that were gathered there to be with us.
The food and service were definite low points in the evening.
I don't think I would go again if i could help it.
I would have given it 2 green circles but the setting merited 3 but only just.

2  Thank Tompkins25
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I dined here last night with my husband who had raved about it from a previous visit.
I thought it was expensive for what it was. Yes, the display of fish and meat looked impressive but since you were not actually choosing your own piece, what was the point?
I wanted lamb shanks and they were off so I had the chicken breast in 'Spanish sauce' which was tasty bit nothing special.
The gambas (prawns in garlic oil) was tasty but my husbands starter of fish soup was watery.
We shared a piece of pecan pie for desert. I asked if they could serve it hot and not warm as was described on the menu but the waiter said that they couldn't because of health and safety.
In the end it was quite hot and delicious. The staff were friendly but somehow the place is so dark which could have been so ambiant with some candles on the tables but alas ... no candles.

2  Thank vivienwelland