“Fabulous Seafood”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caerleon
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Exceptional seafood restaurant (if a bit pricey) in an average hotel. Comfortable but basic, and the wifi just didn't seem to work properly. Reception staff friendly, breakfast staff surly. The full English looked good, but my scrambled egg on toast was just two scrambled eggs on a plate, with an expectation I'd help myself to toast. Oh, and the real ale in the bar the night before was very poor. But the location is good, and a choice of pubs nearby

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Phil L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We had stayed here previously (Nov 2012) and enjoyed it. We booked the same room (the blue room) with Jacuzzi bath for an indulgent relaxing night away. The bath was great, not so good was the loud Music thumping away below us and the raised voices of people trying to hold a conversation over it. At 12:20 I was just about ready to pack up and leave when the music finally stopped, the raised voices did carry on though until just before 1am. In the morning we got up for breakfast and used the shower. I know showers in hotels have a reputation for running hot and cold as other people use the water, this one stopped dead 3 times with no water at all for several minutes, once while my wife was in the middle of washing her hair. When the water did return it was cold, so not such a great start to the day.

Breakfast was disappointing too. For the cooked breakfast there wasn't a choice (no menu), just the full English or not. The was only one waitress on and we watched as 2 other tables that came down after us got their cooked breakfast before us while we waited. I could have ignored it but I couldn't even while away the time with a coffee as I like mine hot and this was tepid and unappealing and I didn't finish it.

And that was that... Except for the niggley bits, bits that I'd never normally dwell on and might have been like it when we stayed before, but without any other reason to look too closely would just have ignored.

The sink in the bathroom, the drain thing is broken, The only way to empty the sink is to pry the plug out with your fingernails.

The mini bar, nice cold, and well stocked. Just so long as you don't want any ice. There are 2 ice cube trays, both just about consumed by the ice monster in the fridge. this fridge is many months past being in desperate need of a defrost !

The restaurant (which we didn't use) makes a big play of selecting your food from the display counter. Which unfortunately meant the was a fairly strong smell of raw fish which was still with us upstairs in our room.

I did raise the issues of noise and the shower on checkout (and also filled in the customer questionnaire). The receptionist said she'd tell the plumber and made a bland apology for the noise. neither of which made us feel any better about the situation.

Such a shame really, Caerleon is lovely, we will be back again, just not staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colin H
east mids
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've stayed on business - not my choice - several times now and although it is possible that there has been a small amount of painting along the long dark corridor of bedrooms there is still no attention to detail and no apparent plan to renovate. Service is indifferent and hostile - breakfast pad at the ready before you have seen the menu, surly dinner service etc. It is a shocker of a hotel. Food is the best bit and always good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank millie239
Richmond
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here for one night whilst visiting the Roman Army Museum. It is a perfect location for this s it is right opposite the Roman Baths and the Museum is two minutes walk away. The Roman Amphitheatre and Barracks are five minutes walk straight down the road. Come out of the hotel car park, turn left and you can't miss it.
I was very pleased with my room. It was well equipped, even had an ironing board and the bed was very comfortable. Good wifi too. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a good private car park and I enjoyed my breakfast.
The restaurant looked excellent but I didn't eat here as it was a la carte and rather expensive. Thy didn't seem to cater for people who just wanted light meal at reasonable price. I ate out.
The Bed and Breakfast price was very reasonable and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ronwooduk
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in January 2014,We were told we had a upgraded room, No 1, it was really nice, large with antique furniture, a very large window overlooking the gardens. We had a good size well appointed bathroom with complimentary shampoo etc. There was also a walk in wardrobe, there was a hairdryer, Iron and also a mini bar in the fridge ( we did not use this) Although we did not have a evening meal there it was well supported by the locals, our relatives who live nearby spoke well of the Priory. We did have Breakfast on both mornings, the service was excellent, with a choice of cereals, yogurt fruit juice etc, we chose the cooked breakfast which was cooked well and was very large, enough to keep you going all day, it was that large.
Caerleon is very interesting being an Roman fortress with many roman sites.
The Priory is Highly recommended and of course we found it on Trip Advisor

swansea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

booked in the priory to visit my son who is in uni in caerleon. on arriving i was offered the choice of 2 rooms . a modern one and a dated one ? chose the modern one .as you would.could not really see what made the room "modern".large bathroom,decent t.v.,good bed.tea making facilities.the usual things.but there was a slight damp smell .not happy with breakfast as when i arrived in the dining room at 9.10 a.m the staff told me it was over.breakfast finished at 9.00a.m. i was not told this on checking in. the kitchen made me tea and toast to compensate .wow.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

As a surprise birthday treat for the wife we stayed one night in the Blue Room (no 22) last week. I was surprised it was available at short notice and was given a very good rate including breakfast. The room itself is a treat from the moment you enter the 10 foot high double doors and climb onto the kingsize four poster bed. The quality of the fittings and carpets are exceptional and in keeping with the style and age of the property. The bathroom is huge with a twin person jacuzzi and a large shower and is luxuriously appointed.

I've eaten at the Priory before and it never disappoints with an excellent choice of fish. Portion sizes are generous but be aware as other reviewers have pointed out the vegetables have to be ordered at a cost otherwise you will only have your choice of fish/meat and the potato that accompanies it. Deserts were generous in size and I certainly felt that I had eaten enough food when I retired to my room for the night.

Breakfast is full english with a choice of toast, yoghurts, cereals ,fruit juice etc and was good quality.

As a final note to anyone booking the Blue Room especially in the winter, it is a cold room. The radiators pump out a good amount of heat but with the size of the room, the height of the ceilings and the fact that this building is 12th century it is barely enough to keep it lukewarm on a very cold January evening. Likewise the single radiator in the bathroom which results in very cold feet on ceramic tiles in the middle of the night.

This however should not be enough of an excuse to put you off staying in this fabulous room at a price that would otherwise get you a standard double room in a holiday inn express

Room Tip: Room 22 The Blue Room is a gem, perfect for that special occasion