“Such a disgustingly filthy hotel.”
Review of The Lodge Hotel

The Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Malborough B&B and Inns
“Such a disgustingly filthy hotel.”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We were booked in for 2 nights but after seeing the room and expected to pay £85 per night we couldn't stay there any more than 20 mins and had to find alternative accommodation.
There were cobwebs everywhere, the towels were dirty, window frames were bent and could not be closed, tea/coffee making facilities dirty, damp and cracks on the walls.
So basically not fit for the purpose and would not even consider putting a dog there.
Fortunately they agreed to a full refund and we found wonderful accommodation at Burton farmhouse for 1 night and at Auton court for 1 night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Thomas070909

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It advertises itself as a 'boutique hotel'. (Yeah, and I like corduroy and kaftans too !).

Very odd experience. No staff on site, or security, you are texted a code with which to gain entrance before arrival. (Code pointless as hotel is wide open all day (and night). Single female travellers beware.(Actually everyone beware !) Downstairs smelt of gas !

Room was freshly painted but tired, paint was already peeling, as was wallpaper. Bed was comfortable but room was dusty, curtain track fell off during stay. Bathroom lights all blew and were quickly fixed by a call to the mobile contact.

Bathroom was small, shower mouldy, towel rack dusty, no bathroom door lock. Parking consisted of 3/4 spaces for about 10 rooms so had to use public parking nearby. No meals provided (Unless you call instant porridge next to the kettle breakfast).

Room was not cleaned during stay. There is an overpriced pub a couple of doors up the street. Broken garden furniture.

It is a real shame as this hotel could have called itself boutique in the past but needs a lot of money spending on it to be modernised and brought up to any sort of standard. It feels like it is just kept open to make money until it can be sold, nothing more. Staff are helpful if you contact them. I booked it as I couldn't get anywhere else at that date. For £65 a night it is passable, Just, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel !
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Extraveltrade

Travellers are raving about these Malborough hotels

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I should have read the Reviews on trip adviser, will in future.
Things didn't seem right from the start when booking our weekend break the manageress was not
prepared to take a booking for a family room with only two people, I explained that I like
space, but she thought I was selfish when this room should be left for family's, (Who is paying
for this room?) I booked a double for my friends,
I booked The PentHouse Suite for myself.
We were texted a code on the day of arrival to enter said Hotel.
There was no members of staff to greet us, in fact it was a unmanned house NOT A HOTEL!!!!!
All room keys were on reception, we collected ours and headed to the PentHouse Suite, ................... or rather THE ATTIC!!!! what a let down, my partner is 6ft "4 he had to crouch to move around, The rooms were basic no frills, smelly and hot, we opened all windows to air it out, however it was cold that night and the velux window would not shut, I stuffed a towel in it .
our friends arrived a little later their room was ok but nothing like the pictures.
My friend asked whether there was hair dryers in our rooms, as we were celebrating their anniversary that evening and obviously would be washing our hair, I checked The Lodge Hotels Web site " Every Room Has A Hairdryer" I told my friend no need for us to take one......Yep
you guessed it NO HAIRDRYER!!!!! Where is it ?
I texted the manageress, asking her where the hair dryers are as my hair is wet,
Manageress reply
We have not got any,
me: your web site info says every room ?
Manageress: Then I must remove this from website
After texting too and fro I got no where, bottom line ....they just don't care.
The So called Penthouse Suite (Attic) was £95.00, based upon other hotels I have stayed in the
room should be around £45.00 as it was more of a budget guest house, but not even that as it was unmanned.
It was a bad experience at The Lodge Hotel, Management indifferent, they get their money no
matter what, surprised they are still in business, if you have read this DON'T BOOK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
wish I read the reviews...

You cannot call The Lodge a Hotel, it's a unmanned house,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank June M
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I had chosen the hotel through our corporate system, and although wasn't expecting much, I did rather expect something that more akin to hotel than Guest house. Even a guest house would have been considerably better than this sham.
Turning and parking in car park was difficult, I have a wide and longish car with not a lot of turning circle.
Wireless in the room wasn't available as no security code available.
Macerator on the toilet was VERY noisy, and I am surprised that it didn't shake and reverberate through the building.
And the check-in/security/reception service was non-existant. I would have refused to pay if anybody would have been there to complain to!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 7
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank James A
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked the Lodge Hotel in order to be close to a wedding we were attending in nearby Kingsbridge. Unfortunately, we were unable to book-in prior to the event due to unexpected traffic delays. However, as we were not planning on being late, we were not overly concerned about our later than planned arrival. Having left our car in town, we booked a taxi and arrived at the hotel just before 11:00 p.m. to find it in near total darkness. We rang the doorbell and discovered it wasn't working. I then phoned the contact number provided with the booking confirmation but only got through to voicemail. I left a message saying we were outside and were anxious to check-in - we still haven't received a reply! We were now in a dark street, in an unfamiliar town, with no transport and nowhere to sleep.

Fortunately, a passer-by directed us through an alleyway to the rear of the hotel where there was another entrance and another doorbell which I rang. After what seemed to be an eternity, an extremely irate half-dressed young man, who we took to be a resident, opened the door and started to remonstrate with me about waking his wife. He was not in the least bit sympathetic to our plight and, with a parting threat of physical violence, stormed off. We found a note on the reception desk telling us which room we are in and a key. With a sense of deep relief, but nonetheless more than a little shaken by our encounter, we entered our room.

The room itself was small but reasonably clean, the towels however were filthy. Having been woken by banging and groaning water pipes at 07:30, I went down to reception in order to discuss the previous evening's events and settle our bill. Unfortunately, there was no sign of any staff members and we left shortly thereafter, somewhat relieved that we were able to depart this appalling hotel without injury.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 149Ch123
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

DO not believe the brochure about the Lodge Hotel, "BOUTIQUE Hotel... ITS NOT", ther is NO service , continnental breakfast which is a rip off, again you asked to get it yourself from a grubby kitchen, the only staff I saw left alot to be desired so much so I wouldnt leave my mother ther or her belongings on her own, alarms goining off no one around, rather large lady appeared with a limp( looked as if she just got out off bed ) but missed the wash room, it was terrible there is NO Food and NO service you stay at your peril. no lights in carpark very dark, unkept garden I was told by a local that the owner doesnt care, about his places , One off the ladys I did meet says she was Manager, she was more like a " Hippy"There are Better B&B around the Pub nextdoor called OLD Inn does a better job for same price which includes Breakfast . BEWARE

Room Tip: Find another B+B
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank william b
torbay
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We booked to stay here to go to a friends wedding in the nearby thurlstone hotel, the only reason for picking the Lodge was because it was the only place nearby for under £70 a night! I was worried about going and even thought about cancelling after reading some of the reviews on here but I was pleasantly surprised. I think people on here have reviewed it a little unfairly! Yes it is bizarre there is noone to welcome you and your key is just left on a reception table BUT this hotel is situated in a convenient location, there is parking, and the room is of a adequate size. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and the shower was hot. If all you need is a place to sleep this is your place. I would of liked to pay a little less but most things around this area are pricey, I guess it's what you pay to be in such a beautiful location.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank xkrisx09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malborough
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove
The Old Inn
The Old Inn
#3 of 5 in Malborough

Been to The Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!