“Excellent, tasteful accommodation, marvellous food, friendly staff.”
Review of The Cricket Inn

The Cricket Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Beesands
Price range: US$16 - US$41
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A village gastropub specialising in fresh, local seafood.
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Having eaten here twice a couple of years ago we wanted to come back and were delighted to discover there were now rooms available too. We stayed two nights and found the quality standard of the decor and amenties in the rooms excellent, the food fantastic (breakfast and dinner) and the staff (from the owner down) friendly and helpful. The location is of course excellent but that's a given. it is what they make of it which counts, and they have done a great job. We will definitely be back and hopefully this time for a week.

There are newer reviews for The Cricket Inn

Reviewed 22 March 2011

We came here to celebrate my 50th birthday, and while the setting (and the room view) are excellent, I was left feeling disappointed with the service from indifferent staff. First of all, the bathroom bin hadn't been emptied and was full of horrible stuff.
At my celebratory dinner I ordered lemon sole and was disconcerted to see that pink fluid was leaking from the fish into the sauce; when I knifed into the flesh I was horrified to see red, pulpy and bloody mush, ie uncooked. The fish was taken away without question, but also without apology, and I felt sick the rest of the evening. I was given an alternative greasy battered 'chip shop' type fish. No apology or comment was given to us.
At breakfast I asked for more toast and was told that the bread had run out. The coffee was undrinkable as the cafetieres didn't filter properly and so coffee was full of chunky grounds. The breakfast wasn't that great and in fact we walked down to Torcross to order an all day breakfast from one of the cafes there.
I am usually very easy going and accept normal ups and downs of service, but this place needs more than vacant smiles from staff when things go wrong.

3  Thank MDL11
Reviewed 7 January 2011

OK it was back in July 2010 since our visit but it wasn't on this website. Expensive and pretty rubbish really, £18 for a fish dish with oven ready chips! Lovely spot by the beach but don't recommend the food

2  Thank Blatters2008
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We visit the part of Devon every year and have always enjoyed coming back to the friendly atmosohere and great food at the Cricket inn. This year could not have been more different. Alot of money has been spent on the decor however it would have been better spent on public relations.
I had cause to complain because the fish that I was served smelt really unpleasant. My fellow dinners all agreed. The waitress whisked the affending plate away but noone came over to see me. I eventually got up and was told that there was nothing wrong with the fish. I sat back down. I then felt I needed to try again this time with the owner, he was very intimidating and said "we won't be charging you for the fish!" I went home feeling rather upset not to say rather hungry. 0/10 for customer service this time.

4  Thank kimCBristol
Reviewed 15 November 2010

With a family home in Beeson just up the road we have known the Cricket Inn for many years. The attraction had always been drinking a good Guiness with a great outlook on the sea, the food had not been a feature. However I visited my family recently from my home in New Zealand and we went for a meal on a Monday night in Ocotber. The new fit-out is stylish and modern, with great size tables for groups, and space around you. After the obligatory Guiness aperitif, we all had seafood starters. The local scallops were cooked well, not overdone, and the portion size was just right. The mains were a bit huge, we could have easily shared, but we probably would not have got a look-in on Dad's fish pie which was probably the pick of the table. There were enough choices on the wine list to suit the table. The other great plus is they welcome children and could cater for my niece who has a good pallet and enjoyed her seafood pancake and my nephew who would eat sausage and chips at every meal given half a chance. I will definitely go again, it is a great combination of a welcoming local, good chef and a stylish bistro.

1  Thank AmandaEleanor