“5 years later, still the best!!!”

Comlongon Castle Hotel
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My wife and I got married at the Castle 5 years ago. Everything was perfect, the place is fantastic and the staff are most helpful. We decided to go back this year to take some pictures with Tom and Sandra Bonnar (who took our wedding pictures), along with our son and were delighted to see not only the great improvements like the new lodge, but the staff remains as helpful and welcoming as they were when we got married. After the photo session, we were served complimentary tea with a smile.

Tom and Sandra are fantastic, they make you feel so relax and with Tom's humour you can't stop laughing, so the pictures allways look great. I told Tom that I lost my original wedding band and brought a new one, and he immediately offered to do a ceremony of the renewal of the vows. All the pictures came out great and our son had a fantastic time at the Castle!

Thank you all, we'll see you again soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bsmkm
comlongon, Owner at Comlongon Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Reviewer.
Thank you. As most will know, whether you read these reviews or have the opportunity to stay here we have something unique. We offer something not often found, and the number of clients that feel we have become a part of their lives always amazes me. Yet the fact that we do this on a daily basis assures me that we are doing something right. Couples from all over the world trust us to organise the most important day of their lives, with success, and then recommend and return. There is a huge amount of people to thank for this, without a group of trusted suppliers that contribute to this effort we could not deliver what we do.
Thank You.

There are newer reviews for Comlongon Castle Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife and I got married at Comlongon Castle 14th February 2012 and couldn't have dreamed of anything more perfect. The Castle and grounds were simply stunning. The staff just couldn't do enough for you, they were so polite and helpful and provided a first class service. The ceremony was so intimate in the stunning Great Hall and the food delicious. Would also recommended the fireworks as they were the perfect end to what was a quite incredible day. The accomodation was lovely and all the rooms that our guests and us stayed in were all to a high standard. Our only regret was not staying for another night and would definately go back to celebrate our 1st anniversary next year. Would highly recommend to any couple looking to get married or just wanting a nice weekend away!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adam G

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you. Leaving any review is something most of us do not do. But to get such praise gives staff a huge boost. They do this every day, but to get particular comment is very cool. Sometimes it really hits home what we do. We welcome couples from all over the world; deliver what we do in the best way we can. When we get letters of thanks, emails or comments from clients via trip advisor all staff know about it within a day. I know when I book somewhere I usually check trip advisor first, paying particular attention to the replies posted. We are in a very demanding business here; the slightest fault can be magnified. I am very lucky that I am, over the past 25 years, surrounded by a number of suppliers that I can trust to deliver the same level of excellence.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I got married at Comlongon in May 2010. We are from the USA and always dreamed of being married in a castle. Every detail of our wedding was beyond our wildest dreams. The staff at Comlongon met and exceeded out expectations at every turn. We rented out most of the castle rooms for 2 days so our family could stay with us. The castle, the grounds and the rooms were unbelievable. We opted to do the clay pigeon shoot the day be fore the wedding and it was a very memorable and fun experience for our whole family. We had the owl deliver the rings at the ceremony and had a falconry display after the wedding which was a great way for the guests to spend time while we had our photos taken. We also took part in the celtic handfasting ceremony. Our guests really enjoyed being able to relax and hang around the castle and we were all made to feel at home. I can not say enought wonderful things about our experience. It was perfect and I would highly recommend Comlongon Castle for any event. More than a year after our wedding our family still talks about it as the best and most unique wedding experience they had every had. Getting our visa to get married abroad was fairly easy too, as long as you have enough time. We traveled to a regional passport center and got the Visa's a few weeks later in the mail. As highly as I can I recommend Comlongon Castle - the grounds, staff, and customer service is outstnading.
We wish we could have this experiance every year!
Jenn and Greg

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn S

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments. We provide many different wedding ceremonies, each day is bespoke. Obviously the best way to experience what we provide is to stay for two days, which allows guests to have the chance to experience activities not often available for those who stay for one day. However there is an associated cost.
In this particular case to have the best we offer, and to be organised by staff from a few thousand miles away, without a prior visit is rewarding. Trusting a venue to deliver numerous details by email makes me certain we are doing things right. Often when clients leave here they become firm friends, certainly recommend us, and revisit. Checking the date that reviewers become friends it is humbling that they do so just after they were married here.
Our unique hand-fasting ceremony is now becoming very popular, conducted by Tom Bonnar; it has to be seen to be believed.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed at Comlongon Castle for a friend's wedding last summer and, I've got to admit, it was one of the best weddings I've ever been to.

The castle itself is fantastic and the surrounding area is simply stunning. I don't think you could ask for a nicer setting for a wedding. From the wedding chapel to the reception rooms, everything was jaw-droppingly beautiful.

The food at the wedding breakfast was delicious and the service from the staff was excellent. I was really impressed with how they made everyone feel relaxed and "at home" (seems a strange thing to say about a castle, but it's true). It really did feel like this place belonged to us for the night.

My only criticism was the value. I thought the price we paid for our room for one night (£250) was very expensive. While it was no doubt a beautiful room, I've stayed in far nicer rooms at luxury hotels which were half the price. The amenities in the room weren't great either (not even a free bottle of water) and the breakfast they provided was not good. I realise you're paying for the whole experience, but the room alone was definitely not worth the price, and I definitely would have felt annoyed if everything else wasn't so perfect.

However, I really can't complain and it didn't dampen the overall experience. It was a beautiful day in a truly romantic setting and made for one of the most memorable weddings I've ever been to.

Room Tip: Stay at a nearby hotel. Rooms are way over-priced.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank KevHurst

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to leave these comments. Those that have been here know the efforts we have made to make the place a stunning venue to celebrate in. We continually reinvest every effort to improve the building and the grounds. Clients who return regularly comment on how the castle gets better with each visit.
I’m not too sure how many weddings people attend each year, but to continually get such feedback from guests is very rewarding. We do know that the majority of our clients are previous guests at a function, which means we are on the right track.
The world has rapidly changed over the last few years and we do everything we can to adapt to this. Although we advertise prices on the internet, we offer a bespoke service; which means we negotiate with every couple. So prices are open to a certain amount of discount. Although we offer a very unique facility here we will look at any option a couple may have.
Excellence does not have to cost a fortune. Thank you for your very kind comments. It really does make a difference to my team who try hard each day to make everything work like clockwork.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Myself and my husband got married here on the 29th of December 2011. From the very beginning the staff were great and kept in regular contact. When we arrived at the castle early on the day of our wedding we were made very welcome and offered tea and coffee until our rooms were ready. While waiting myself and Michael were talked through every detail of the day and then shown to our rooms which were lovely. The whole day went off without a hitch which was quite amazing as I had organised the whole thing via the internet from Ireland. The staff were amazing, the accommodation was fantastic, the food was of a very high standard and the ceremony in the great hall was absolutely magical.
Despite there being only eight of us, we were made to feel very important and great attention was paid to detail.
I would also like to mention our photographers Sandra and Tom Bonnar who were recommended on the castle's website. They were fantastic and made me feel at ease despite my nerves and the fact that I hate having my photo taken. What was even more surprising was that during our meal, only two hours after they had left us, we were presented with a booklet of our photo's to choose from which Tom dropped off! I would definitely recommend them to anyone and the photo's looked great!
I also booked Fiona and June to do my hair and make up, again recommended by the castle and they were great, they listened to exactly what I asked for and the results were just what I wanted.
Overall a great experience an a day I'll never forget. Thank you to everyone in the castle and I hope we'll see you next year for a return visit on our wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ann Marie B
comlongon, Owner at Comlongon Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Dear Reviewer, thank you.
Organising weddings takes a great deal of communication. It is testament to our staff that many choose us without a previous visit. We rely upon past clients to aid others in determining if we are the correct place for them. Reviews help. I think if anyone were to identify us as a potential location they should look carefully at all the reviews and then make a decision.
In this we are helped by a great deal of trusted companies, who are often identified in reviews. S and T Bonnar feature amongst many, along with others. These people have helped us over the last two decades to achieve the reputation we enjoy today.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Attended small family wedding in this most atmospheric setting. Pity it rained Wed/Thurs so were unable to enjoy the beautiful grounds surrounding the castle. The bedrooms were very comfortable and the staff were very accommodating. The food was very well presented. All in all a very memorable experience.

Room Tip: Everyone seemed content with the rooms and suites booked. We lliked the Maids Snug, compact and cosy...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for this particular review. For those who do take the time to read reviews and replies know we pay the same attention to a party of 2 as we do for 200. Luckily the level of investment we have introduced over the past few years means that the rooms and facilities are some of the best in the region, coupled with our staff make Comlongon a very special place to celebrate.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

My son, James, married his beautiful bride Joanne on New years Eve 2011 in this wonderfull dreamlike setting. We drove up on the 30th Dec from Weymouth (400 miles) to a very warm welcome from the reception staff and proceeded to the cosy bar for a well earned drink. After meeting more guests we had a superbly presented "hog roast" in the lavish banquet room before trying out some of the numerous fine malts at the bar.
Our bedroom was beyond belief a four poster bed that once belonged to Elizabeth Taylor was the highlight. A breakfast that could not be bettered in choice or quantity followed in the morning served in our room...what a way to start New Years Eve.
A very well organised clay pigeon shoot took place mid morning after which a sumptuous finger buffet took care of any hunger pains.
It was then onto the highlight of the day, the wedding held in the beautifully decorated Keep with a log fire burning in the hearth. We were all escorted to the Keep following the Scottish Piper who then piped in the lovely bride.
The wedding was followed by a five course banquet which was excellently presented and served and the evening progressed dancing to a lively band and then a very colouful fireworks display after which "bacon butties" were served before we finally retired to bed in the early hours of 2012.
To sum up the staff, setting, food, public rooms and bedrooms were all of the highest quality and the bridal suite was something very very special. This was a wedding that dreams are made of, my thanks to all the staff and of course to my Son and Daughter in Law for arranging it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank barry n

Dear Reviewer. Thank you.
We organise weddings on a daily basis, but some days tend to be more important than others. New Years Eve is by definition a unique occasion and to marry on this day is unique. Forgetting anniversaries would be impossible!
To get the best from Comlongon we recommend couples stay for two days; the first they can relax, organise clay shooting, maybe have a hog roast. Although it is more expensive the benefits tend to make this option very attractive. Some bookings remain with staff more than others. Everyone on duty over this period will never forget the delight from everyone present. It was an absolute pleasure to be a part of this very special day. Thank You.
Comlongon Castle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarencefield
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel

Been to Comlongon Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!