“very good value for money”

Village Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilwell
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Booked a 2 night mini break (B&B) with dinner included on the 1st night. Very friendly and welcoming staff. I did not have high expectations for the dinner, given some of the reviews on the site, but was pleasantly suprised - was very nice. Pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub were all very good and I agree that it is very good having child free times for these. The hotel room was clean and quiet. Breakfast was fine, but a wider selection of cereals would have been appreciated, especially some museli or granola. Also, fresh fruit. I would also recommend eating at the Corn Mill across the road - good value food with a range of good ales. Overall, if you can get a deal, I would definately recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank F B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,258)

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stay in this hotel several times a year because of its convenient location to my family who are scattered around. I have reviewed this hotel before unfavourably. However things are slowly changing for the better. No more tussles at the reception desk because I only have a debit card and not a credit card. Friendly reception staff during my stay this time. No more demanding of cash for room service without a credit card. Mind you it would have helped had I actually received the meal that I ordered.. And the best bit. The hotel bedrooms have been shabby for years and many still are but a whole lot have been upgraded and are 'upperdeck'. The shabby rooms have been converted to chic rooms and are a real pleasure to be in. They smell fresh and clean. The king size bed and pillows are superbly comfortable. There is a sky box but sadly no radio 4 unless you bring your own radio. I suspect though that families may complain as the upperdeck rooms are adults only. Breakfast is OK with the usual buffet. However I seem to be invisible at breakfast, maybe all over 60s are invisible. For some reason you cannot help yourself to tea or coffee even though everything else is help yourself. I never seem to be able to get anyone to notice that I am eating without a hot drink. I always have to get up to try and find someone. Inevitably by the time I get it then I have finished eating. This seems to happen to me everytime I stay here. I would like to put in a plea for the facility to help yourself as other hotels do. Surely it would make life easier for the staff. The spa and gym are always good value and a real asset to the place. This hotel is, in the main, good value for money particularly if you can utilise some of the special offers..

Room Tip: Splash out and pay for the upperdeck rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jennifermsNorwich
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We arrived at reception early (12.30pm) to check in, hoping to get the paper work out of the way before going out again. We didn't actually expect to use the room or anything but we were quite rudely told we were far too early and none of the paper work would be printed until 3pm. I think she could have told us this information in a more friendly and welcoming manner. We just wanted to inform the hotel that we would be out late and therefore late checking in and not a 'no show'. When we eventually checked in we had a very pleasant and friendly receptionist.

Car parking was free and it is easy to park at the hotel. We had a basic grade of room. 2 twin beds pushed together, no zipper, so there was an uncomfortable ridge. However, we still had a good nights sleep and heard very little noise from within or outside the hotel. The room was clean and it was nice to be able to open the window. The soap dispenser by the toilet was hard to use so we walked over over to Lidls and bought our own soap. We had plenty of towels and extra pillows. The decor in our room was OK but the corridors look in need of re decoration.

We went to breakfast early to avoid the queues. Breakfast is only for 2 hours and as we stayed over Easter the hotel was very busy. I ordered poached eggs each morning which was nice plus there was the usual hot and cold buffet, but no veggie sausages. Porridge could be ordered too. We didn't use the restaurant in the evenings. We had an excellent meal at the local pub the Corn Mill within a 5 mins walk. Also McDonalds 3 mins away.

We used the swimming pool facilities each day. The staff 'manning' the reception generally were not very helpful regarding towels and directions. The sauna, steam room, hot tub and pool were all good. I like the fact the hotel has set times for adults only.

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel but I think this hotel could be so much better especially the breakfast experience. We stayed on the Easter offer but I have had better rooms and service at Premier Inns. The only bonus here is the pool area. We would stay again mainly as we have family in the area, but if there was a Premier Inn nearby, the Permier Inn would be my first choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We, my husband 13 year old son & myself stayed at the Village in Nottingham for one night. We could not check in until 3pm but could use the facilities. The walk from reception to our room was about 5 minutes up & down stairways, it was like a maze I never thought we would get there. The room was tired looking & the bed my son had was terrible. It was a pull out sofa bed & the matress was about 1" thick, the quilt was thicker!! He did not sleep well at all. I was suprised that there were no toiletries in the bathroom apart from handwash on the wall & shower gel in the bath, I have never stayed anywhere where you dont get shampoo conditioner etc. We stayed on a Dinner Bed & breakfast rate, the food was mediocre not as good as other Village hotels. The breakfast was poor with limited choice, there was a lack of staff & we could not find anyone to seat us so just sat down, then had to find someone to ask for Tea & Coffee. The pool area is nice & relatively clean. We wont be rushing back to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Hotel ok, long walk to rooms if your unlucky. Restaurant food ok but very over prised and staff nt the greatest. Overall an ok hotel but don't expect it to be a great stay! Reception staff were helpful as a positive.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Four of us visited for a ladies spa weekend. The rooms we had were basic and in need of refurbishment. We had a hole in our carpet and there was mould on the bathroom cieling as no bathroom extraction. There was also no safe in the room.
The evening meal which was part of our package was poor. The starters were ok, but 2 of us had the chicken kiev and the coating was rock hard, they only came with either chips or a small salad. The wine menu was overpriced.

In contrast the ladies in the spa were fantastic and the trestments we all had were first rate.

As other people have said the pool is used for lessons and is noisy and full of children and not really relaxing.
Not bad for the money but not a patch onthe Fairlawns at Birmingham

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed at the Village Nottingham recently with my wife, it was a solid but unspectacular stay.

The reception staff that checked us in were nice, at least the women who appeared to be management seemed friendly and efficient. The man seemed a little less friendly and more flustered. I didn't get any names so can't pass those on.

Our room was of a reasonable size but extremely tired and dated. Our sink had a gigantic crack in it, and had some sort of filler in it. All the furniture was old and needs updating urgently, sides peeling off the desk etc...

On a positive note, the bed was big. None of the 4'6 rubbish hotels still think is acceptable. It was quite hard though, some people like this, I don't particularly. Had a sore back and numb leg when I woke up. At least we weren't bashing into each other all night though!

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. I must add here that we had a fantastic value package, which was £69 for dinner bed and breakfast. Therefore I feel that I cannot criticise the hotel too much based on this.

What we got with this package was a £29 allowance for dinner and this enabled us to have a very decent meal. I had the steak, which was cooked just as I asked, and overall both my wife and I were very impressed with our meal. Very decent value. The breakfast also included was good too. My wife has special dietary requirements which were also no problem to the kitchen and waiting staff.

We used the swimming pool as well, this was decent although not the warmest. Not freezing by any means though.

Overall because of the excellent price of the package I gave this hotel 3 stars. However my wife said that if we had gone the day before, we'd have paid £129 for room only. If we had paid this then it would have got 1 star. No way does it justify those kind of prices.

Long and short my opinion, is that if you can get a decent package, stay here, you'll get a nice meal, leisure facilities but don't expect the earth from the room.

Room Tip: If you can get a cheap upgrade to a newly refurbished room, do it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilwell
Best Western Nottingham Derby
5 mi away
Park Plaza Nottingham
Park Plaza Nottingham
#20 of 41 in Nottingham

Been to Village Hotel Nottingham? Share your experiences!