“not bad but wouldn't return”

Village Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilwell
Reviewed 31 December 2013

visited here in October as we were visiting family in Beeston. I have stayed in a similar hotel before in Cheadle Hulme so knew what the deal was. The lady on reception at check in was nice and it was dealt with well. We got the key for the room (think it was 301) She gave us directions but due to various expansions the place is an absolute labyrinth and it took a good walk to ever get to the room using two lifts and various stairs. Hotel is fine if you are not unlucky enough to get such a room.

Inside the room was good enough. Bed was comfy and the room was large enough to spread out. Did not have food but did have a drink at the bar. Young lad on the bar polite so a tick for that.

The big negative is the leisure facilities. I agree in part with the guy from swansea who has reviewed before me. My issue was there seemed no policy at all to prevent children swimming! Couldn't swim because of the wide array of floats etc. Children splashing in the pool. A real negative for me. I would not be a paying member of the health club. If i was in a caravan park I would accept it, but hotels with leisure clubs are not the place for children for me, they are adult facilities not family ones. The leisure facilities were way too small for the number of guests. Struggled to use the steam or sauna.

Had breakfast on the Sunday. Despite having to wait, mainly because most people went late ( I think breakfast service could be extended at weekend) the food was good.

Overall I was a bit disappointed with the money spent. Weird layout. Poor leisure facilities and too many guests for the size of leisure facilities. Would not probably return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Duty_Manager_VNO, Manager at Village Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for your review. We are a family friendly hotel and with a 25 metre pool we do attract a lot of families especially over the Christmas period which would explain the large numbers of children in the pool. We do have limited children’s swimming times so for guests and members who want to swim without children in the pool which is before 9am between 12noon and 2pm and after 5pm midweek and 7pm at weekends, this is a company initiative so is in place throughout all 25 hotels in the group. We also have a ratio of x2 children per adult so children can be controlled by parents. Our poolside assistants regularly monitor the numbers in the pool to ensure we don’t go over capacity. I'm sorry if the family time was an inconvenience to you but if you would like to visit again please make note of the timings above. Please note children are not allowed in the Steam room or Sauna.

As for the layout of the hotel we have added signs to make it easier for guests to locate the newer section of the hotel which is just at the back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have relatives living near this hotel and find it very convenient to to stay here. We have just spent another night at the hotel and it was a good experience. I requested another pillow and when we returned to our room, there were 2 pillows on the bed.
The requested morning paper was waiting at reception and then we had breakfast. This is a full English buffet breakfast and there is toast , cereals and croissants too. We had an extra pot of tea with no extra charge.
The beds were comfortable and the room was warm. All in all it was a great night away from home and it only cost £49.00!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue M

Hi

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back! Thank you for the top rating!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

On the whole this is a good hotel but our visit was spoiled by the hotel policy on the restricted times children are allowed in the pool. Please beware, this hotel puts non-resident health club members needs in front of guests. My daughter is an accomplished swimmer but was not granted access. In addition, the swimming times available were after breakfast, not ideal on full stomach. This made swimming impossible and became merely "splash around" sessions because the pool was also very busy. This may be fine for some but if your children are swimmers this policy doesn't work. It doesn't happen in other brand hotels in my experience. I feel the sharing of leisure facilities between non-resident members and guests is always going to be compromise and never works for anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are a family friendly hotel and with a 25 metre pool we do attract a lot of families especially over the Christmas period which would explain the large numbers of children in the pool. We do have limited children’s swimming times so for guests and members who want to swim without children in the pool which is before 9am between 12noon and 2pm and after 5pm midweek and 7pm at weekends, this is a company initiative so is in place throughout all 25 hotels in the group. I'm sorry if the family time was an inconvenience to you.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just spent Xmas at the Royal Court Hotel in Coventry (see other report) it was lovely to return to the Village Hotel again.....Great service,clean,helpfull,good food....big beds.....quality.....just like slipping on an old pair of slippers....if you know what I mean.....nice to see some old faces there too........and quite a few new pretty smiley ones.......new SMILE logos seem to be working too....Good on yer.......nice to see the place buzzing again.
Thank you for restoring our faith in the midlands hotels......we were suffering from 4 nights of broken sleep in the royal court hotel in Coventry.
Thanks again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi

What a great review thank you, we hope you visit again with your slippers!

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Lots of things to say about this and unfortunately, for the most part it's not good.

This booking began with a small party, my family eating on Boxing Day. We got told that if extra people wanted to come along then all they had to do was phone up and pay via phone up secure their extra place. I booked on via this method with little issue (although I was on hold for a long while, whilst the 'lady that does the bookings' was just becoming available) unclear why all staff who answer the phone can't take bookings. Anyway after little fuss the place was secured. However when my sister and partner then tried to book on, they had a right nightmare. The first issues with my sister were around calling back to speak to the right person and that person never being there at the specified time. My partner had similar issues and this time they concluded "the original booker needs to call us as people are booking onto parties when they weren't invited".... well that was new news! So lots of frustration and things not running smoothly even before we got there.

The weeks then passed and time for the meal.

We were shown to our table, drinks orders taken but it was an extremely long time before they arrived. I'm talking 20 minutes to half an hour. No water on the table we had to ask twice for that. Arrived for the Christmas menu to be told "it's the buffet in the corner" which was actually the corner for starters and puddings. We did think it was strange filling up on prawn cocktail and lettuce leaves.... it was only as we finished those, chatted and waited (and waited) for drinks to arrive that we were told we could head up to the carvery when we wanted to.

I asked for Turkey and was cut 2 slices and they had veg you could help yourself to. It was all just average tasting. The sauces were in dessert bowls and that area was a mess - sauces spilt all over it hadn't been cleaned down at all you could tell.

There was also a strange clown/performer walking around which I don't know.... I understand wanting to entertain kids at large parties but it just felt odd and a bit out of place. Also spotted him interrupting people's dinner so he could interact with them and do tricks which I thought was a bit rude

All in all, ok for the price but I wouldn't go back.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Booked for a family Christmas stay. The experience was, as per my rating, ordinary on all fronts. Nothing was unsatisfactory , but equally little was notable or memorable to leave a smile in your memory. The staff were all very pleasant and attentive, but there was a sense that no lateral thought had gone into finding ways to add a little polish. Very much that corporate management feel of monoculture mediocrity. In conclusion nothing wrong but where's the sense of pride?

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Booked the Vibe in the Basement of the Hotel for a special birthday party for my wife. The hotel were great. Lou-Ann was the party co-ordinator and Tom did a brilliant job in ensuring the room was perfectly set up and the event went smoothly. We had nearly 60 guests and a live group (The Crew). I heard only compliments all evening. This is the place to come if you want that special occasion to be really special.
We stayed in the Upperdeck, the TV was poor, but who cared, the bed was big and comfortable, the shower hot and the towels big.
Breakfast was very enjoyable. We didn't use the gym or swimming pool
We had a great time at the Village

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilwell
Best Western Nottingham Derby
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Holiday Inn Nottingham
Holiday Inn Nottingham
#19 of 41 in Nottingham

Been to Village Hotel Nottingham? Share your experiences!