“Lovely Experience - just what we wanted”

Village Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilwell
Swadlincote, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Experience - just what we wanted”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I really can't say anything wrong with the place.
Went for Valentines night with my boyfriend, we wanted a hotel that wasn't too far away from us but was nice and relaxing. We were impressed with the location of the hotel, (it's on the back of a retail park and minute walk from a couple of pubs) and the outside of the hotel looked lovely.
Got inside, the booking in was quick and easy and the staff were very polite. Our room was lovely, clean, tidy and basic -but that's what we were expecting. The décor was quite nice and modern and the whole hotel, I felt, had a lovely feeling of modernness.
We ate out, so can't comment on the restaurant, but the bar was nice, very relaxed and good atmosphere.
Next day breakfast was very nice, all you can eat buffet of both hot and cold foods, all the things you could expect. Very nice.
When we booked out, (12 o'clock book out - we were impressed as some places it's 10) we were still able to use the facilities and we took full advantage of the swimming pool and the spa facilities. Everything very clean. Our only problem was the amount of people there, it was very busy (mostly with children + babies)
It's not really possible to fault this place, everything was great for us, exactly what we wanted and needed. Absolutely brilliant value for money too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessm14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Hull
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was going to Heathrow to collect a family member and so thought I would book in my son (12)and I to break up the journey. Booked 1 night B & B through Laterooms £89 for both. I chose upperdeck (I don't know why it's upperdeck as there is another floor?) as it boasted Wii Fi, I Pod dock, Sky and a 'Starbuck's Package'. Staff member checking us in was polite and friendly. The room was fairly small and there was a funny rancid smell but seemed clean. Sheets really clean and bed comfortable. Lovely view over a yard containing at least 10 crates absolutely rammed with dirty laundry. The carpets in the corridor were stained and it felt grubby.

Now I really don't get the Starbuck's element. It consists of six sachets of strong coffee and one Biscotti biscuit, presumably to share. There were two Starbuck's mugs. In the mugs were slips saying 'if you really can't bear to be parted with this mug we can charge £10 (each mug) to your debit card'. I was expecting sachets of lovely creamy Starbuck's coffee. We left it anyway as it was too strong.

Wii Fii only worked if we sat at the desk in the room.

The pool seemed
clean but the jacuzzi part had to be closed as the staff could smell it overheating. Under 16's are not allowed in the spa pool, sauna and steam room so my son was a bit miffed. Towels are provided but these need updating as they are worn and a bit raggy (same in rooms).

We didn't eat in the hotel. We went to a McDonald's which was really close by. We did see some of the meals go out as we used the bar later on. The meals looked quite small for the price but unable to comment on the quality.

Went to bed at about 11 and woken at around 12.30 by a most annoying 'humming' noise. I checked all around the room but unable to identify the noise. I couldn't leave the room or phone down as I didn't want to wake my son who was fast asleep! I was still awake at 02.30 and woken intermittently after that. The pillows were also an issue as they kept sliding up the slippery headboard. It 'clicked' in the morning that the noise may have come from the laundry (given that the crates of dirty stuff were outside....all night in fact)

Breakfast was buffet but tea and coffee were brought to the table so these were not unlimited. Breakfast was ok but just ok. Sausages, bacon, eggs etc

I addressed the room noise when checking out but I was told that the room was not above the laundry?

Therefore very tired in the morning and had 2.5 hour drive to airport and four hour drive home! We did go to Woburn Safari Park on way to Heathrow however and this was good!

Room Tip: If you're going to sleep then do not choose upperdeck 119. Apart from the noise the outlook is...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Chilwell hotels

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed 16th Feb for 1 night. We booked this through a KGB deal (which could be why nothing was right?). The problems started beforehand, i wanted to book a spa treatment with my stay and rang through to the call centre who told me I needed to call the hotel directly. When trying about 5 times the phones just kept cutting off, so I rang the call center back and they informed me there wasn't an issue and to keep trying. So for 2 days i kept trying, there is "apparently" no direct number to call do on the 0871 number of tried upwards of 50 times over 2 days on the advice of staff members, sent a couple of emails and even resorted to tweeting the hotel! Only when I rang another branch on Cardiff did they inform me they were having an issue with phone lines but didn't think to inform the call centre! This alone cost me over £20 in phonecalls!! After eventually getting an answer on twitter I was offered a spa voucher for £10 for inconvenience but also informed there was no availability in the spa while I was there! I asked if I could just have £10 off the room upgrade I was paying for and was informed this wasn't possible.

When we arrived at the hotel at around 4 to check in there was 1 member of staff on the check in desk. Based on the time and the fact a que was forming this semt a bit of a bad choice. Check in itself was really easy but I had to prompt her for information on our stay, like the 3 course meal we had included she didn't mention anything about (I'll get back to this).

The room itself was nice, relatively clean so no issues with that at all!

We went down to have some dinner (which was included) walked into the "pub" and was met by noone to greet us or seat us, which is fine as its a pub. Once we found a seat I then had a job of finding a menu which apparently are only kept behind the bar?

After deciding what we wanted I thought to myself, how would they know we have already paid for our meal as nothing else has been said to us, so I went to ask at reception where it turns out I should have been given a voucher for my 3 course meal.. After getting my voucher I was told "I'm not sure how much you get on it though" turns out it was £29, when you see the prices you'll wonder how you can really get a 3 course meal for 14.50 each!

The food took ages to arrive which the staff didn't really offer a reason why. My partner had 2 bratwurst sausages on her meal which she said she didn't like so I ate them, this turned out to be a big mistake as I still have the runs today. We got another drink each and retired to bed via the reception desk to see if they had had any cancellations in the spa, after waiting 5 minutes and no staff actually coming neat reception we just went back to our room so I could enjoy my night on the toilet!

We were woken at 2.33am by the couple in the next room having sex, i normally wouldn't bother complaining about this but the fact when they moved, our bed moved aswell! Not sure if the walls were made of papermache but I feel like I was involuntary included in group sex!

We were shocked to find that breakfast was stopped being served at 9.30am so had to just wake up and check out. Upon check out I was issued with a sum total of what we had charged to the room the pervious night,which seemed a little high. I paid but asked for an itemised bill. It turns out even though I was signing receipts for what I was charging to the room they still managed to double charge me. The lass on reception (hannah, the same girl who checked me in ) questioned what I had and semt reluctant to believe what I was saying even though she had signed receipts infront of her.

After a brief discussion I was told I would be refunded and she would email me once it was done, I'm not sure why she couldn't process it at the time but notification of it being done seemed faith to me.

Come Monday night I still hadn't recieved an email so emailed them myself to see if this had been completed. By Tuesday morning I hadn't received any notification so decided to call the hotel, which there was no answer, I tried several times and only managed to get through to event booking who said they would email front desk... 2 hours passed so I tried the hotel again... This time I was told I would be called back, I waited another 2 hours, called back and was told that the manager (Jenny) would call me back after a meeting... The woman who runs the twitter site then rang me to ask the issue and put me through to the manager who wasnt in a meeting anymore but hadn't called me back.

I was told I would be called last night to confirm the refund but wasn't and instead called this morning to say I had been processed. I told her I wasn't happy at the service I'd received and the fact I'd had to chase this several times over the past few days and the cost I'd incurred which she offered me a bottle of wine for next time (ha) and wasn't interested in compensating me for the phonecalls or the generally terrible experience I'd had at the hotel!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Keef32
leicestershire
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Although some of the rooms are on the small side they are clean & comfortable, the food is good although the breakfast selection could be better.
The staff on the other hand are fantastic, polite & extremely helpful & efficiant as you would expect but dont always get.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We'll just a word of warning too anyone who is elderly or who struggles with stairs be warned . Part of the hotel is difficult to access to a new wing, to get to the rooms it's a long walk going up & down different stair cases. Considering I paid £90 for a night I had no tea, coffee, or milk in my room. Could be better....

• Stayed February 2014
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I had an overnight stay here. I used the facilities (gym, pool, sauna etc) The gym was extensive and had a real good feel to it. I stayed in an upper deck room, excellent! The bed was huge and seriously comfy. The upper deck includes starbucks coffee and sky movies, extra large bed etc. After having a gym session and a swim, it was great to go back to the room enjoy a starbucks coffee and watch a movie before going down for our evening meal. We enjoyed an evening meal and breakfast the following morning. All excellent and great value. I would definitely recommend if you fancy a chilled out, relaxing stay.

Room Tip: If you can, pay that little extra and opt for the Upper deck room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCarey76
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed on business at this hotel and it was great, lovely bathroom, great food, good service. My room was on the 'upper deck' and I found it to be fantastic. Having sky TV was a nice touch. I would also commend the house keeping team they were so very helpful.

I would recommend.

Room Tip: Choose upper deck.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iloveholidays88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilwell
De Vere Orchard Hotel
#1 of 49 in Nottingham
Jurys Inn Nottingham
Jurys Inn Nottingham
#6 of 49 in Nottingham

Been to Village Hotel Nottingham? Share your experiences!