“A good hotel not too far out of Nottingham”

Village Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chilwell
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for one night 15/3/14. We had an upper deck room on a discounted price as I am a member of the leisure centre at the Blackpool DeVere. The hotel was clean and staff helpful. Tea and coffee in room along with iron etc (all the usual). The TV was a bit of a faff to get going but other than that very good. Very warm at night so we slept with the windows open. Average price for hotel drinks at the bar - Magner £4.55 but sort of expect that now. Cooked buffet breakfast was good and again staff tried to get us seated quickly. Swimming pool/Spa was fab! There were quite a few people complaining about various things as we checked out but we had a great stay. In a bit of a random spot on a retail park but would definitely recommend. 15 min drive to Nottingham centre.

Room Tip: Upper Deck only have tea/coffee extra as we had friends who had a normal room but i'd pay the ex...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the DeVerre on Saturday 15th March and all that I can say is it was a big dissapointment and not the standard I expected. The rooms are dirty and smelly and leave a lot to be desired. The lift is knackered and there were people struggling to manage the stairs. The location is on an industrial estate and it costs £15 to get into Nottingham in a taxi, breakfast was badly organised and not great x I would advise any one to steer clear and book a central Nottingham hotel. As the DeVerre is Travel lodge standard at an extionate rate

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jacfoster
Reviewed 15 March 2014

First some background - I've stayed in the Village at Chilwell for a few times now, not least as the "launchpad" for my daughter's wedding five years ago, and we often take a one night break to enjoy the lesiure facilities. Chilwell is not too far from us. On top of this, we have stayed in other Village hotels, so we can compare with some accuracy.

As might be expected, De Vere have been very precise in ensuring every Village presents the same image on arrival, with the same Verve Grill, same colour schemes, and same levels of very good service. We've always been happy with Village and that's the background. I'm surprised I haven't actually reviewed this hotel before.

On this occasion we booked a Friday night break to end a week's holiday in a log cabin - I had expected maybe a little cold and discomfort so thought a night in a nice plush hotel would be just the ticket.

The standard rate was £69 for a double room which we know are of good quality - more than decent Sealy beds, wifi, tea and coffee making facilities etc. BUT on this occasion I found myself enticed to spend £20 more on Upperdeck - a premium package with better bedding, a mattress topper, a "bespoke Starbucks drinks package", SKY TV and BOSE ipod dock, and newly refurbed rooms.

So, having checked in and been given the executive reception treatment - you cant fault the staff - we headed up to the room, which was on the first floor (lowerdeck?) and a reasonable walk from the lift.

So how does Upperdeck compare with the standard room. Size wise, the room felt smaller, and the view was - different - looking out onto a flat roof between the hotel blocks - I assume this is the upperdeck. Well, there was the BOSE ipod dock, nice but hardly hi-tech. We didn't use it. There was Sky TV, with the box strangely screwed to the underside of a limed effect dresser which strangely reminded me of a woodwork bench. The leather padded chair (no wheels) had to be dragged out of the way to allow the remote to see the box. I could understand if this had been to give a neater look by hiding cables etc, but there was a huge clutter of cables under the dresser anyway. Instructions were very precise for activating the TV and Sky Box - I'm sure there must be a less complicated way - but ours wouldnt work - with the sky box on, the TV tried to switch to HDMI 1 but then fell back on freeview TV, with a rubbish picture. Not to be outdone I quickly inspected the rear of the TV to find the Skybox plugged into HDMI 2. A quick cable swap and the box and TV fired up immediately as per the instructions.Personally, we dont watch a lot of TV but if we did, I would probably prefer to buy a new film than select from Sky Movies repeats.

A Strange chest, a leather chair and the normal hanging rail completed the furnishings, which made the room seem cluttered and smaller than we had been used to.

The room had been redecorated in what I can only assume is the new Upperdeck colours (I preferred the original design, brighter and less oppressive), and although we were told this was one of the newest rooms tobe refurbished, it was looking a bit battered. Gloss paint peeling on door frames and window sills (tip - better preparation, use proper undercoat and never paint over silicone sealer), and a badly fitted and badly stained striped carpet that somehow doesnt match the decor.

A large panelled headboard had been fitted in the room, which looked like it was designed to accommodate a kingsize bed. The bedside shelves were a stretch to reach from the bed, and the headboard was cold and hard to lean on when sitting up.

The bed was a very comfortable bed as usual, and I assume a Sealy - I didnt check - but it certainly wasn't brand new as could be seen from slight marks on the mattress, After a comfortable nights sleep, I checked the topper to find the thinnest topper imaginable had been fitted - the ones we looked at for home had been 40-50mm thick - this was more like a mattress protector than a topper. So, I don't expect we gained much advantage from it. In terms of luxury bedding, the linen was good quality (we've had better) the duvet was indeed snuggly as advertised - in fact so much so that it was off most of the night - the room was incredibly hot with the heating off. The pillows were far to soft and in the end we both used the themed cushions under a single pillow to add some firmness. A Upperdeck emblazened throw finished the ensemble.

So, OK, what else did I get for my £20 extra? Oh yes, the "bespoke" starbucks drinks package. Now, to be fair to De Vere they don't actually describe what this is, but with a Starbucks downstairs I had expected some sort of deal or offer. But no, it was a tea and coffee tray, but instead of Nescafe it was VIA, allegedly the type used in Starbucks, with a couple of teabags, some cartons of milk, sugar sachets etc. Neither bespoke or a package. So no latte- disappointed!

You also get a luggage tag (in case you lose you luggage on the way to the room?) with a special ID number which you use to sign up to an exclusive Upperdeck website and get exclusive member offers and discounts. Only they had run out of luggage tags and didnt know a code so we couldnt get this benefit.

So to recap - a branded tea and coffee tray, a badly decorated and scruffy room, some cute cushions, Sky TV and no exclusive luggage tag or website. Represents excellent value dont you think?

Everywhere you turn in the room, you are reminded that you are, for tonight, Upperdeck. I assume this is either because you might not realise it otherwise, OR if they say it often enough you might start to believe it.

Dont get me wrong - Village hotels are comfortable and normally good value - watch the breaks advertised for cracking deals. And I firmly believe you will get the same experience from any Village.

Food on this occasion wasnt impressive, but they did seem a bit rushed. The barman who chose to make a string of quips about my surname should probably learn some manners.

So my advice - Go Village, but give Upperdeck a miss. It isnt quite different enough or good enough to warrant a 25-30% price hike.

Room Tip: Go for a standard room. If you dont mind walking, get a room as far away from the lifts as possibl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WTMEUK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This must of been the worst meal I have ever had. Don't eat here. Steak was full of tube and not edible. Husband had ribs and they tasted off and the mushroom tart was bland and tinned mushrooms not fresh. Been throwing up all night and would never eat here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Tlwtlw2109
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here for a night for a surprise for my partners 30th, on arrival the staff were friendly and well mannered, the room we had was spacious and clean and we were provided with tea and coffee facilities. We ate out at the local pub just across the road as this was more our taste and budget, we had drinks in the hotel bar where there was entertainment on but the drinks were a little pricey, the gym and swimming area was clean and there was plenty of staff around to assist you if needed, overall a great clean, friendly hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank 10louise83
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed with colleagues for a conference.on the 4th February.
For the evening meal we were well looked after by Oliver Allcock.
Excellant service, good choice of menu, quality wine.
Buffet lunch the next day was also good.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for a Spa Break more like a leisure centre in a hotel. The relaxing pool was over run with children, not enough loungers or chairs for people to relax. Booked a meal for 7 where there was confusion over a purple voucher we should have got but not given. Very poor service due to a large hen party so our party of 4 were continually ignored. No communication between between the different departments and nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank shefftribe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilwell
Best Western Nottingham Derby
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Holiday Inn Nottingham
Holiday Inn Nottingham
#19 of 41 in Nottingham

Been to Village Hotel Nottingham? Share your experiences!