“Yummmy!”

Aupres du Clocher
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Pommard
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Evergreen, Colorado
“Yummmy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Exquisite dining experience. Forget about the stereotypical small portion, French dining experience. I had a hefty bloc of foie gras that would supply my cholesterol intake for the year. The main course was a deliciously healthy portion of veal that was so unbelievably flavorful. You have to have the Epoisse for the cheese plate -but don't tell your cardiologist. I couldn't agree more with other reviews comments on professionalism -exacting service and presentation. I had the 49 Euro menu and thought given the quality and quantity of the food it was a great value.

1 Thank portagem

Meursault, France
“An allround quality experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

There are many things to savour about Aupres du Clocher, the overall impression is one of professionalism, quality and attention to detail.

We like its `smallness` without being cramped; the service is `spot on`; the wine list extensive as is common in Burgundy, but we liked that there were many good choices of `average` priced wines such as the St Aubin prem cru we chose for 42 euros.

The food is very appealing, moderate sizes, tasteful and presented with measured creativity.

One small point is, for a 48 euro menu I would have expected to have a meat choice of say lamb or duck or beef as opposed to the veal that was on offer.

We were impressed that the chef appeared from the kitchen to farewell us, a nice personal touch.

Overall if you seek an excellent Burgundian food and wine experience, this restaurant is for you.

Kent
“A lovely first evening in France”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed in near by Beaune on our way to Nice. We chose this restaurant after consulting trip advisor and had a most excellent evening. The foods was beautifully presented and delicious. Our hosts recommended superb locally sourced wines for us enhancing our enjoyment. Fantastic service.

Wiesbaden, Germany
“Delicious dinner after a long drive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

After driving down from Germany, our accomodation host recommended and kindly reserved a table for us. Travelling with our dog, they also offered him a bowl of water with no request.

Expect the service to be a bit slow as is typical in Europe, but the food will not disappoint. We decided on the set menu and all of us thoroughly enjoyed the dishes, including a complementary soup at the beginning. The veal was amazing and the fish was also great! The chocolate gateaux was a perfect way to finish the evening.

Visited April 2014
“Apres du Clocher”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Opening Remarks:
-Located in the sleepy little town of Pommard next to the beautiful Chateau du Pommard winery.
-The name translates to “With the Clock Tower” which you will quickly come to appreciate throughout your meal as the clock chimes frequently.
-The Executive Chef is Jean-Christophe Tissage Moutet.
-It’s a fairly new establishment, having been open for only a year.

Ambiance:
-The restaurant features large windows that overlook the beautiful old buildings and clock tower and let in lots of glorious sunlight.
-The walls are simply white, with white tablecloths on the table to match and minimal artwork and décor – just a few lone modern art pieces. The mismatched chairs in subtle beige and sexy red offer the room’s only punch of colour.
-Even with the restaurant nearly full, it was strangely quiet in there at lunch time with the tables spaced so far apart. I don’t recall any music but if there was, it could have used a boost.

Service:
-The service was accommodating and professional, but somewhat cold. I had a spillage accident half way through the meal (hey, it happens and no, I wasn’t drunk), and the two gentlemen were somewhat stern with me after that. I don’t think I caught a single smile.
-It’s also worth noting that even at lunch hour, this will not be a quickie meal. We merely popped in here with no reservation as we were starving after our wine tasting next door and wanted something convenient. Plan for a lunch to take at least an hour and 15 minutes for the shortest of tasting menus.

Drink:
-Chef Jean-Christophe Moutet has carefully selected a wine list predominantly from the coast of Beaune including Chassagne-Montrachet , Puligny-Montrachet , Meursault, Volnay, Beaune, Corton and of course, the reds of Pommard.
-We had a long drive home to go and were already pretty tired so opted for coke and coffee. Classy. I know.

Food:
-The food is classic Burgundy style- the menu is represented by lots of wild mushrooms, snails, game and offal and freshwater fish.
-You have the option of ordering a la carte, where the menu is divided into Hors- D’Oeuvres (17-28€), Fish (22-37€), meat (21-36€), cheese (7-11€), and desserts (9€)
-You can also go with one of the pre-fixe menus including a 3 course for 25€
-Hoping to simply get back on the road as efficiently as possibly, we went with the basic three course (which was actually four with the complementary amuse) and each went with a different third course (the only place for choice on the menu)

Cold Seafood Bisque Amuse

Lots of delicious seafood flavour, but unfortunately I found it too salty to really enjoy.

Cold Mushroom Veloute with Salmon and Herbed Crème Fraiche

In contrast with the aforementioned soup, this one was under-salted and no, I didn’t complain about the first. Despite the inconsistency in seasoning, I enjoyed the light texture of the veloute and the sweet flakes of salmon.

White Fish with Green Lentils, Lardon, Raisins and Curry Sauce

While the fish was admittedly a touch overcooked, the lentil salad was absolutely divine. The sauce had a mild mustard-like tangy note that was delicious with the mild fish and earthy lentils.

Cheese Course (Mousse tiede d’epoisses au pain d’epices et sa tartine)

Absolute heaven. The idea here was to dip the cheesy crouton into the bubbling fondue like cream and let it slightly soften the bread. It was absolute heaven and had I only eaten this, I would have left the restaurant happy. The brie was mellow enough that I was happily finish off the plate, even for those less enthusiastic about bries.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble with Yogurt Iced Cream and Molasses Tuile

I loved the balance of sweet strawberries with the tart rhubarb and the satiny smooth tangy ice cream. Simple but delicious.

Concluding Remarks:
-For 2 3-course meals, 1 cola, 1 cappuccino and a bottle of water, the bill came to 66€ ($80 CAD) – not worth the cash in my opinion, but I imagine the choices are limited in a town like Pommard.
-My advice? Pack yourself a snack if you’re going to Chateau du Pommard, then b-line it to Beaune for lunch instead.

Visited September 2013