“Beautiful and Peaceful”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Beautiful and Peaceful”
Reviewed 19 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017
people found this review helpful

I booked this directly with James and it was easy to make the payment to him and I always had timely and helpful email responses to any questions asked.
Stayed for 3 nights in the beach chalet by myself and this area was one of my favourite parts of Borneo.
Tried to hire a car but flying into Kudat options are limited. If you don't have your own transport there are bikes and also a few moped rental places although I didn't do this. Was given a 10 minute lift up to the tip of borneo beach twice on the motorbike which was great and it made a real difference that that was offered to me. When I arrived at the airport there were others staying in places nearby so 4 of us joined together to get a taxi - 20 each. Loved our local taxi driver - his taxi is held together with tape!
For eating I ordered some food for delivery to the chalet but as I was on my own the cost of the delivery wasn't being split by several people - the charge for delivery it's not expensive though. I walked along the beach to Secret Place for dinner late on the first afternoon - 10 to 15 mins - but decided not to walk back from there in the dark as one part is over some rockier ground and it was torrential rain. The owner of Secret Place took pity on me I think when I asked how to walk back by road and gave me a lift back - very nice of him. My favourite place to eat though was Tip Top restaurant and I went there for lunch on my second and third day - lovely food and they have wifi!
The chalet is fantastic and very comfortable - it is so peaceful and you just feel that you have your own beautiful, private beach. All the staff there are just great and very helpful and friendly. Loved watching sunset and listening to the sounds at night and the wonderful evening skies. Spent my time at the Tip of Borneo point and beach and on the beach in front of the chalet. Read some books, watched some DVDs in the evening and really had a very lovely relaxing time.
Can't recommend enough.

Harold R
“The perfect getaway with the beach at your doorstep!”
Reviewed 3 February 2017 for a stay in January 2017

The Cliff Top Chalet is a charming beach side cottage that had everything to make our stay unforgettable. We love the ambience and the privacy of the place that was made even more magical and romantic by the sound of the waves and the wind. We'll definitely recommend to friends and visit again!

6 Feb 2017
Hi Harold, I'm really glad you had a lovely stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again.
Holly B
“Perfect place to get off grid and relax!”
Reviewed 1 January 2017 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

Our stay was the perfect way to end a jam packed holiday in Sabah - we initially booked 2 nights then extended another. We loved the luxurious feel of the wooden villa and it felt like a treat to have aircon again, hot water and TV, lots of films, beautiful breakfast! I didn't miss wifi as it meant we weren't glued to our phones or work emails which was great! The views were spectacular, and we loved having our own private beach although the sand flies are a bit of a nuisance but that can't be helped. As we were visiting out of season the only eating places witihin walking distance were Secret Beach Cafe - a short stroll along the beach- which is quite basic but a great place to watch the sunset - just make sure you take a torch to find your way back. We also ordered takeaway from Tiptop which Jetol organized - food is delicious. My only criticism would be that as we didn't have a car we had to hire bikes in order to explore Kudat - Jetol arranged this easily enough but we found it expensive - 2 &1/2 days hire cost us around £40 which seemed expensive and my brakes didn't really work - I would have expected bikes to be included in the stay. Some mosquito coils would be much appreciated too!

Your age range 25-34
70gbowman
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful retreat”
Reviewed 5 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

After a few nights in the jungle this place is a wonderful place to recover.
We stayed in the larger retreat just a few meters from the beach. Clean and spacious with a really comfortable bed and great veranda with sun loungers.
There is a kitchenette with breakfast supplied and lunch and dinner can be brought in from local restaurants (Top Tip does really great food).
Would be 5 stars except we call for assistance on our second night to get food but nobody came (there was a big storm at the time). we ended up eating snacks for dinner as there is no other way of getting food.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: No wifi/internet this place is off-grid
Liked least: Missed dinner
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Pollydg
UK
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 4 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

Lovely place and big enough for 2 people. Well equipped, although after 4 days, the towels were a bit stinky and grubby and were not changed as advertised, after 3 days. Very peaceful with beautiful views. There were plenty of ants in the room, some of which were on the bed and in the bed, but nothing you couldn't brush off before you got into bed. There was some bug spray in the room but this disappeared after 2 days so we had nothing to zap them with after that. Nearest place to eat was a 10 minute walk down the beach to the Secret Cafe. Nearest Wifi place was a 45 minute walk, 2 miles away at Tommy's Place, where you can get reasonably priced drinks and food. The beach was lovely, it would have been a beautiful beach if it wasn't for the hundreds of plastic bottles and other plastics littering it.
Some of the village dogs appeared occasionally and so did the lovely Poppy, the owner’s dog, a lovely tan coloured dog, easily recognised as she is the only one around there with a collar on.
We saw Sea Eagles catching fish from the sea and we also saw Sea Otters, from the balcony.
Breakfast was 2 small slices of sliced bread (with butter, jam and marmalade), cereal and some fresh fruit. On the 3rd day, when James the owner appeared, this was increased to 3 large slices of sliced bread, along with cereal and fruit.
You need to take food and/or snacks with you because there is nowhere to buy food in the immediately locality.
We caught the bus to Kudat from Kota Kinabalu, cost 25 ringgits. 2 buses per day. Taxi from Kudat to the retreat was 60 ringgits.
Lovely and peaceful, just the place to unwind and relax.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peacefulness, location, excellent place for photography
Liked least: Dirty beach
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
HuiSin_Ta...
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 7 July 2016 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

We are 5 Terengganu girls who celebrated our nearly 3 decades friendship at Hibiscus Retreat last October. It was the perfect place! The beauty of hisbiscus retreat can't be captured in a photo, you have to be there personally to experience it!!!! Really appreciate all the detail in the chalet itself to make the stay such a wonderful one!
100% would recommend!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
9 Jul 2016
Thank you so much for your review. We now have a new and larger chalet so I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future!
Lee59C
London
“Perfect, stunning hideaway”
Reviewed 30 June 2016 for a stay in November 2015
people found this review helpful

Hibiscus Beach Retreat is a true paradise. The view when you walk round the corner to the villa takes your breath away. It's a stunning, remote location. Then you enter the villa and it also takes your breath away. It's perfect. Comfortable and well equipped...Lying in that bed listening to the waves outside was the most amazing experience.

The beach is beautiful. The sea is like a wonderful warm bath. I stayed in there for hours watching the sun rise and set.

There are plenty of places to eat locally - we were lucky enough to have a car (I'd say you need one). Or Jetol will deliver the food to you.

Jetol is a fabulous, courteous, wonderful host. He pops up several times a day to chat and find out if he can do anything for you. It's very hard to say we'd change anything at all, but if we did, it would be that perhaps you could have a little 'do not disturb' flag to suggest that you wanted some privacy.

Breakfast is yummy. Take some snacks though....there's little in the way of shops although we did drive to one of the many fruit stalls by the side of the road and pick up the most delicious corn on the cob I'd ever tasted.

I wish we'd stayed longer (we stayed 3 nights). We are always daydreaming about going back to Borneo just to return to Hibiscus. I'm sure we will one day!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
1 Jul 2016
Many thanks for your review, what a great idea about the flag... I'll look into it. Hope to see you again.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing