“Beautiful Hotel. Service hit and miss.”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cap Estate
Yorkshire, England
“Beautiful Hotel. Service hit and miss.”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Bit of a long review, and we only stayed 3 nights. Hope it’s useful.

Arrival and check-in was fab. Champagne, cold hand freshener and quick tour. The room (apartment) was fantastic – it is their top room and therefore expensive, but in terms of space it’s really very good value for money. Was a bit hot in the living room at times as it has ceiling fans and no air con.

Service was great about half the time but for me, that’s not really good enough for a top-notch boutique hotel. Here’s why:
• Housekeeping called to ask if we would like a hypoallergenic duvet to go with our pillows or if we’d prefer just sheets (great service!) We said duvet, we got sheets. This was, however, rectified for the next night.
• There was blood on the shower wall. I mentioned it and someone arrived the next day, but to paint it (it was on the tiles). I saw the housekeeping girls myself and they cleaned it.
• One of our pool towels disappeared and wasn’t replaced. I didn’t ask for another as we were able to manage with one. But our hand towels also slowly diminished until we had just one between two bathrooms.
• A light bulb popped in the bathroom during the 2nd night, which blew the fuse. I mentioned it before breakfast but had to chase it up at 4pm (reception was suitably horrified). Annoyingly, it happened again the next night. So 2 dark mornings.
• The restaurant was nice but service was sometimes slow with big gaps between courses. Starter and main portions were small but desserts were enormous. Accompanying items (bread, amuse bouche, juice) were not always offered.
• The pen to sign the bill in the restaurant had been fixed with sellotape – it made me laugh but the thing that sets apart a great hotel from an ordinary one is attention to detail.
• At lunch while we were still eating, the woman at the next table seemed to be allowed or encouraged to smoke as she had an ashtray, although she had been on to the balcony to smoke at least twice previously. If I had been asked if I wanted smoking or non, I’d have chosen non.
• Late departure procedures are too laissez-faire for me. In the end, we were given a courtesy room for our late check-out and they did confirm this on the afternoon before our last night.
• An ice bucket and glasses that were cleared from the room were left outside the room for most of the day
• The iron had a European plug (which fits neither the UK nor US sockets in the room). The iron in the courtesy room had a UK plug, although the ironing board was alarmingly rickety. Also the bed was way too soft for me, but I like quite a firm bed.

On the plus side, there are some really nice touches, such as insect repellent and bite relief in the bathroom, washer and dryer (only in the apartments) and the receptionist saved our bacon when the car transfer didn’t arrive for the helicopter (which was the penultimate of the day and I already knew that the last flight was full). The US/UK sockets are great. The barman was a delight as were most of the restaurant staff (although one or two were quite the opposite).

3 nights (even with perfect service) would probably be enough for me as there is only one restaurant and a quiet bar (not that I want to party all of the time but I like a change of scenery) and after that you need to get taxis to Rodney Bay or Pigeon Island, which we’d already done.

In summary, Cap Maison really could be something if the staff training and follow-up processes were sharpened up.

PS At lunch, don’t order the fish burrito unless you order something else with it. It’s the smallest burrito I have ever seen (4 modest bites and you’re done) but at least it provided some entertainment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wanderluster2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Pepperell. MA
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We recently spent 5 days at Cap Maison to celebrate our 35th anniversary. The property is lovely and well maintained. Our suite (#50 Oceanview Villa Suite with Pool & Roof Terrace) was spacious, well equipped, relatively quiet despite several small children in nearby rooms, had fabulous views and an enjoyable roof deck with pool. Maintenance was also responsive to any reported problems.

The service ranged from curteous and professional, though impersonal (no one wears name tags and only Matt the head of food services and Maggie in the restaurant ever actually introduced themselves) to abysmal . Also, the dining staff does not appear to be trained to report issues to management.

Maggie and Alison in the dining room were both professional, willing to chat a bit and remembered us and our preferences from previous meals. We were sorry we weren't fortunate to have them serve us more often. There was also one gentlemen (we never learned his name) who recommended a lovely after dinner rum to us, who spent time with patrons and was very outgoing. We also thank Matt for remembering our anniversary and arranging to have our suite romantically decorated for our anniversary.

On the other extreme, we arrived for our reservation on Valentine's night to be offered either an interior table right next to the entertainment (not an option because of the noise) or a poolside table (complete with biting insects). We opted for poolside and were handed our own bottle of bug repellant. Our waiter (again anonymous) began by delivering our appetizers to the table beside us. Despite their and our indications of where the items belonged, it took almost a minute to finally convince him to bring our food to our table, In his rush to do so, the bowl of soup included on my plate flew off and landed upside down on the table. Fortunately, it missed me, but since there was no offer to change my seat to the opposite side of the table or to refresh the linens, my choices were to sit there and avoid the entire right side of the table for the rest of the evening or to get up and move myself and disrupt the other diners' evening. No one from management ever appeared to address the issue. It also took a very long time between courses - about 20 minutes between entree and dessert. This wait could easily been mitigated by pouring one more glass of the wine pairing that we ordered as part of dinner, but evidently you are only allowed the 4 ounces of the inital pour. Note from my wife - listen to your husband when he says "let's just order a bottle of wine".

As a final note to the Valentine's dinner. Cap Maison bills itself as a "green" hotel but during the evening each couple was allowed to launch a small chinese hot air balloon and make a wish, a practice that is evidently done on other occasions. While a single launch might be cute, the idea that several dozens of probably non-biodegradable ballons and bits of metal were launched out over the ocean was very disturbing to us and a few other patrons who refused to participate.

The food at the restaurant is good but not memorable. Portions are small but adequate though sorely lacking in vegetables. We had to resort to ordering a salad in addition to the meal to try and get some greens. We do highly reccommend the rum punch!

The beach is small but lovely, but the the 90 or so steps down/up should be seriously considered if you have any physical limitations. My wife unfortunately strained a calf muscle after our first visit and was unable to make the descent/ascent again.

In closing, the resort is great if you are looking for isolation or you rent a car, but it would not be our choice for a repeat visit to St. Lucia. We would probably return to the Royal for its equal/better service, greater dining options, and easy access to the ocean and to Rodney Bay.

18 Thank WinterVacationer
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review following your stay with us

I apologize for the way in which your experience on Valentines evening was handled and clearly the situation should have been handled in a much more professional manner - your comments have been shared with all our restaurant team and lessons learnt from your feedback

Our people are our biggest asset and as can be gleaned from previous reviews, they go out of their way to make sure that our guests have a great experience through the service they provide. Introductions are important and this has also been emphasized.

We also realize that perhaps Cap Maison is "not for you" and we appreciate your honesty and would thank you again for choosing to stay with us and when you are next in St Lucia we would love to have you back at The Cliff at Cap restaurant with my compliments – please let me know when you can make it

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Cap Maison. We were in a Garden Room which was well appointed and provided a great night sleep. The staff were anxious to please and addressed any issues we had such as arranging excursions. We absolutely enjoyed The Cliff at the Cap restaurant and found the cuisine to be superb. My only regret is not taking advantage of the spa.

Room Tip: It all depends on your budget at this place.
3 Thank cakesbyamy
Chicago
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This resort is beautifully perched on top of a hill. You must walk down a steep set of stairs to access the beach. It's worth the walk / climb, but could be difficult for anyone with mobility limitations. The main pool is adequate though chaises are limited so get out there early! Rooms are spacious and bath products / amenities are of high quality. Be ready to take pics of the gorgeous beach and sunsets. Hotel has its own 46ft yacht for private charter. We did not take advantage as we found it expensive and water sports available at the beach were enough. Limitation of the hotel is the quiet, secluded location also means any shops you wish to access have to be reached via taxi. Taxis are not cheap. Hotel has a great chef so the food and wine quality is high. But again, take a fat wallet. Wireless access in the rooms was poor, but on patios seemed to work ok. They have an honor bar and same room contains a computer for all to use. It was fairly fast and reliable but printing has to be e-mailed to Reception. Fitness room was small but surprisingly well equipped, clean and empty during mid day when everyone was enjoying the hot sun. Staff were attentive to minor problems that occurred.
All in all a posh place that you will find quite lovely and romantic.

Room Tip: If you have a big budget, some rooms have their own plunge pool and double patios. These were incred...
5 Thank lisainthestates
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Cap Maison is breathtaking and is just as pictured! It just about has everything wrapped up in one paradise package. Excellent staff, lovely rooms, fine dining and bar, quiet poolside, curious exploring among the grounds and down below the cliff when low tide, and especially loved the "honor system"! (not that I would remember those good ole days but greatly appreciate the concept of when everything was based trust). Wish I could confirm and speak of value as this was a surprise trip from my boyfriend for our Valentines but he assured me that we we're getting a great deal. One little ity bity thing that wasnt anything to us but could be for others; the shower would fluctuate between luke warm, cool to hot. Even with that and have traveled quite a bit with staying at a variety of places, this is luxury!

3 Thank Crista B
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us and just to let you know that the crabs are recovering!

I am sorry that we were less than attentive with regards to your roof terrace and I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure that we do get it right consistently

We are blessed with the people we have working with us and I agree with you that the beach crew, Charlene, Miguel, Dunstan and of course Tricky the chef provide great service and fun to our beach.

Great to read that you would return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cap Maison and to Villa 16

Birmingham
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Just spent a week from the 5th-12th Feb catching up on some "me and the wife" time which was brilliant and we chose Cap Maison which we do not regret one bit. We took the helicopter transfer and that was great fun and well worth paying for. Upon arrival, the champers and greeting was just as previously reported then we were shown to our one bedroom suite with roof terrace and pool and OMG...ask for room 16 when you book...stunning views, stunning location on the complex- impossible to fault. When I say nearly perfect, it is because we seek perfection and that is very hard to get anywhere in the world no matter how much you spend-so here are my gripes and it’s all about the room cleaning or lack of it on the roof terrace. One night dinner with some new friends on the terrace and we left bottles, glasses and all the place settings which we assumed would be cleaned up the next morning...wasn’t impressed when they were still there 4 days later. Now to us, that was just a shame. When the staff are so willing to help, the resort so amazing and really looking to be as good as they can be in all areas, it’s just shoddy that general tidying up and care of the guest rooms doesn’t follow in the same high standards elsewhere. It is worth noting in balance, that the general daily tidying was just fine (except a lack of loo rolls which was most bizarre)
A couple of major “shout outs” have to go to Miguel and Charlene and the crazy chef at the beach bar-exceptionally warm, welcoming, friendly and just good fun helped make our daily visit to the beach that much more rewarding.
The Restaurant is very good-we eat there every night and the only time we could slightly complain is when we tried something new and didn’t actually like it that much so no criticism of the restaurant and it probably has the best views anywhere in the world (hope the trees and bushes don’t grow any higher)
Be warned about the plunge pools- they are colder that the sea and you need a few brave gins inside you to take that leap of faith-note to the management- I would have happily paid extra to get it heated a bit to make it more pleasant.
Other than the odd light bulb not working, the reality is this is a very high quality resort and you get out of the staff and Cap, what you put into it. We would definitely go back and have the same room but I am left wondering just how much my “frequent tipping” helped get me the service I wanted..
Just to leave you on a humorous note, I challenge anyone to have a few rum punches at the beach bar and not “boo” the crabs as they dart in and out of their holes on the beach-hilarious-well, it was for us !..
Book this with confidence, you will enjoy it loads.

2 Thank Winnyman
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We spent a week in January at the Cap Maison- it truly is a romantic paradise. We had a gardenview room- but this actually provided an amazing view of the ocean from our veranda. The view while dining is breathtaking. Everything was perfection! The staff was top knotch! The food was great! Often on other Carribean islands- we have not felt welcome. We had such wonderful times with the staff at the Cap Maison- they couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating. The resort and rooms are beautiful. We have stayed at Sandals and other wonderful resorts- but Cap Maison was the best.
The beaches in St. Lucia are small and sit in various coves. I would not advise renting your own car- there is really only one road- and nothing is marked. Cabs are pricy- but it is the only way to travel. Some of our best memories and a long lasting friendship came from our excursions with our cab driver. The Cap Maison was perfection and the St. Lucian people are wonderful. It is a very, very safe island. We will return!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LDP1
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time spent with us at Cap Maison

Thank you also for acknowledging our wonderful staff who are a joy to work with and who are inherently beautiful people in both spirit and in their kindness

It was great to read that you would choose to return and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our island of St Lucia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap Estate
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!