“Perfect gateaway”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cap Estate
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Absolutely amazing place! Accommodations are thoughtful and very comfortable. Restaurant in the resort just magnificent! Service, menu, quality and freshness of food, wine list, creativity of chef - impeccable! Beach - excellent secluded gem. The only minus is long ride from and to airport. Next time will try helicopter ride. Definitely will be back!!! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We have stayed at Cap Maison a couple of weeks in June and couldn’t have had better time. The place is 10 minute drive from Rodney Bay, the closest shopping area. It’s on top of a mountain therefore has the most beautiful views. Hidden location is perfect to just rest and relax. Coming from London we needed some quiet time for ourselves. The resort has a small private beach with clean water and it’s never overcrowded - another great hideaway place.
Staff was super friendly, they were looking after us everywhere we went, by the main pool, asking if need any help, bringing complementary mineral water. I must say that we have tried loads of restaurants around the island but The Cliff must be the best. Lunch is served either by the pool, in the main restaurant or on the beach. My favourite was fresh grill on the beach. Every day there was a different choice of fresh caught seafood or meat served with salad. Dinner on the other hand was a mind blowing experience. Restaurant provides fine dining carefully prepared dishes with life entertainment 3 times a week. On Saturday we had tapas based menu and it was divine (3 starters, 3 mains and 3 deserts) small portions so you can enjoy a little bit of everything. Living in London, I thought I have best restaurants here but coming back from Cap Maison I have quickly changed my mind. Food over there has so much to offer, fresh fish, meat, fruits, seasoning… delicious. Drinks and cocktails.. another amazing experience. I am simply in love in this place and can’t wait to go back.
Be prepared for mosquitos!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Basiaka
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We went to Cap Maison for our 25th anniversary. We had a wonderful and relaxing time. The suite was beautiful, the views were spectacular and the entire experience a great 6 days together. The restaurant at the resort is one of the best on the north end of the island; none of the other restaurants we visited was anywhere near as good. Food and beverages are expensive here but that is to be expected and it is in the same range as at other resorts of similar quality. The best bet may be to get an all-inclusive package (which we did not do).

We thought the service at Cap Maison was excellent for the Caribbean. When we ordered ice or needed a cab, e.g., the staff was very responsive. I've seen some of the complaints about slowness of service, but that's just a cultural difference and frankly it doesn't bother me -- we Americans are always in a hurry. The beach is also spectacular and relaxing, with cliffs on two sides, and there is a great (but again, expensive) beach bar. The spa was small but the staff was good. The only issue you may want to consider is that the resort is a long way from the airport and not very close to town, so this resort is best for people who truly want to kick back, hang out on the beach, read some books and enjoy being with your significant other. We did go to town one day (not much worth seeing) and I tried to kill myself on a mountain bike trail, but other than that, we stayed at or near Cap Maison. We have been all over the Caribbean and this was one of the best resorts we have visited for the money.

Room Tip: The suites with the rooftop pools are more expensive but well worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lllaroo
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I think this resort is fantastic......the rooms are excellent and the property is boutique style so it feels more intimate and romantic. I know some people prefer miles of white sand beaches but I often went down to the beach and the fact that it looks like it's nestled between two mountains into a bay is what I love. Occasional waves crashing made it fun but I have to say my favourite thing was to go to the pool close to sunset time and just look out into the sea. The resort is perched on a cliff so you get beautiful views of the water. First time I had breakfast at the resort I was blown away by the view, there is nothing but the sea when you look out and the waves constantly crash and roll onto rocks down below. Could spend hours looking out and all in between are little seats and spots to do this.
It feels like just a really special place and I'm a sucker for romance and this place along with the staff made me feel like a princess.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sayba12
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I can understand why some people review this property at a 4 or 5, but it's hard for me to do that. I will quickly point out why and let you make your own decision.

1. I had a different expectaion for service at something that is this expensive. My husband and I do a yearly trip and this was our first to the Caribbean. I'm not sure if it's that area or this hotel, but the service was not there. Don't get me wrong, the people were very nice and friendly, but you had to flag them down for a drink. It is slow season and there might be 3 people in the restaurant for breakfast, but you are flaffing them down for refill or hot sauce, etc. because they are standing around talking to 2 or 3 other employees. In the past I have went to resorts by the 2nd day they know what you like to order and come over with it or come over and ask you if you want one. I had times where my 1st drink was empty for an hour before anyone asked if I needed anything. That same service translated over to things like cancelling our helicopter. My husband and I discussed canceling the helicopter back to the aiport since we took one from the aiport. Nothing wrong with it, but you do it once and could have skipped it the 2nd time. The day before we left the entire town of St. Lucia was closed because of a tropical storm that was to be around for 24 to 48 hours. We assumed that if the town shuts down due to weather that a helicopter isn't going up. When we were told differently we said we would prefer to drive just because we didn't feel it safe and they shot right back with a cancellation cost. So wait you can call me and move around our sunset cruise from day to day based on other guests needs, but I cannot tell you I changed my mind on my transportaion method in light of a storm. Sorry, but if there was a fee I expected them to pick it up or fight the vendor that provides the service. When we did arrive to the helicopter that day they also added they had to move people around and change the type of flight back becasue they had 2 cancellations. I guess I wasn't the only one..I just never saw anyone go above and beyond the entire time I was there.

2. Quality-Our room was nice, but I will skip that story of calling Orbitz for a refund because the room they showed and what the hotel gave us was not the same. I don't know whose issue that was, but appreciate the hotel did do an upgrade after Orbitz called them. I did get an upgrade to a beautiful room and I still was not used to the fact they had the bottom level without air conditioning. Again just not something that I ever had experienced at any resort.I didn't hang out in the lower living room/kitchen level much because it was so hot, but thank goodness the air was great in the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. One day we were told that they were wokring in a neigboring room and we said fine no problem. We came downstairs to find the entire level flooded from a hose they left running off the neigboring balcony onto ours and flooded the entire bottom floor. They had a big rug in the lving room level and had to take it out and it ruined a pair of my shoes. I didn't ask them to pay for the shoes, but just shocked that they didn't offer a credit for dinner or something when you do that, but again back to the service I didn't see.

As for the food at the restaurant it was good and not great. I think the difference between my reviews and others could be that I live in Chicago. We have lots of good places here and I think they all have air conditioning. Again just amazing to me that a hotel like this doesn't have one option to eat in a air conditioned place unless you order room service or leave the property.

The good was the people were nice, the views were amazing, but I'm shocked at the 5 star. That is really the reason I wanted to leave details for potential guests to figure out for themselves. If no AC or average service are things that don't bother you because you want to be close to the ocean and have amazing views, etc. this could very well be the place for you. I personally don't like to be uncomfortably hot on vacation and I only do it once a year so service is important to me and this place just didn't have it.

Again I want to say that some guests who had stayed at other resorts in St. Lucia said this was so much nicer. It just wasn't better compared to our last two trips in Costa Rica and Riviera Maya that were half the cost.

One more thing that I have to add is sleep quality now that I have to rate it below. The beds are fine, but as soeone else wrote you can hear everything. We didn't have annoying neighbors, but we were close to an area of the external road where people beeped as they rounded a corner and we heard it each time and any truck or car that was loud or people yelling at the beach. I'm not sure if that is just the structure, but I ddin't sleep well becasue I was always woken up by some noise right outside the room.

Since Ross replies to all the reviews that are not favorable with comments of why the person is wrong I will add that we tipped that help, but I did say service was bad. My husband and I just cannot drive up to a resort like this and see how many of these folks who work there probably live and not give them something extra. Just in case he wants to write that I tipped them and complained of bad service, heads up.

Room Tip: I don't have anything for you here. I know some rooms have their own pool, but I think those are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Ravingfan_10
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Great staff. Location is the usp. The restaurant is.so open. It feels like its in the middle of the sea. They have very Gorgeous pools too. Lovely architecture. Very clean and well maintained. Must visit the beach next door and sit on the hammock tied to the rocks.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank chanda_10
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Cap Maison really is a lovely resort, we stayed for a week and had an amazing time in St Lucia. The hotel has stunning views, our room was spacious & had a large private terrace with ocean views, which provided the perfect backdrop for breakfast in the mornings. We arrived to a very warm welcome, the private beach is very sweet & peaceful. Service throughout the resort is excellent, the grounds are well kept with beautiful flowers & we saw a few humming birds by the cliff edge. Breakfast was absolutely perfect & especially delicious every morning, when we weren't having breakfast on our private terrace, we had breakfast by the infinity pool, overlooking the sea, which was a particularly beautiful start to the day.

We definitely suggest hiring a photographer to capture memories of your holiday, Bill Mortley is incredible & we can personally recommend him. Bill is one of the island's best photographers & is one of the 3 recommended wedding photographers on Cap Maison's website. Bill is very friendly, fun, efficient & relaxed and knows all the best photographic hotspots both throughout the island and on the Cap Maison resort. His pictures are especially stunning, thanks to Bill, we have beautiful pictures from our time in St Lucia which are now up on our wall, we wouldn't have hired anyone else.

St Lucia - activity wise, Cap Maison's staff are very knowledgable & can recommend & book lots of fun things to do outside of the resort. Cap Maison booked us horseback riding along the beach at sunset with the International Pony Club, which was FANTASTIC!!! International Pony Club have very well trained horses, we went on a two hour ride, which included riding the horses into the sea at sun set, such an incredible experience.

We also went zip lining above the rainforest tree tops at the Morne Coubaril Estate, yet another highlight of our holiday. There are lots of zip lining companies on the island, but the final zip line at Morne Coubaril Estate has one of the best views possible of the Pitons, the staff are friendly & we absolutely loved it.

Cap Maison is a stunning resort, they are able to recommend many other activities to do on the island off of the resort and will book taxis and tickets so all is taken care of whilst you relax. For two days of our holiday, the island had rain storms so we stayed solely on the resort and had such lovely days. The resort is on the smaller side in comparison to some of the Island's other resorts, Cap Maison have a gym, a spa with a full range of treatments, the restaurant is on the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean, the food is good, the menu changes daily which is nice for some but can be difficult for fussy eaters as they won't know what the dinner menu will be until around lunchtime, eating off of the resort generally means a cab ride. The resort's private beach is small and picturesque with cliffs either side and a bar serving cocktails and grilled food at certain times as you chill on the sun loungers. Complimentary non motorised water sports are also provided on the resort's beach, we particularly recommend kayaking.

Three tips -

1) the cab ride from the airport to Cap Maison at the North of the Island is quite long, the hotel can book you helicopter transfers which are good fun. If you do get a cab, you will get to see lots of the island & the drivers we met were all very friendly & knowledgable, ensure the cab has air conditioning though as it is a long ride with lots of bends.

2) St Lucia is a beautiful island, at sunset & throughout the entire night, millions of tiny tree frogs join together & fill the normally peaceful island with the loudest chorus of whistles and chirping, it starts at sunset all the way through to sunrise, it is part of what makes St Lucia unique, but it can be hard to sleep through, especially if you're not used to it - we'd recommend bringing some ear plugs in case it gets too loud to sleep through.

3) If there isn't a mosquito net above your bed when you arrive, ensure you ask for one to be placed above your bed every night.

Cap Maison is a lovely resort.

TJ

Room Tip: The gardens are lovely, we would definitely recommend paying the extra for an ocean view room though...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!