“Stunning location, nice hotel, not 5 star”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cap Estate
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning location, nice hotel, not 5 star”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the new year period. On arrival, we were warmly greeted and offered a welcome drink. As we had travelled a long way, we opted for room service on our first night and took the opportunity to have an early night. We found the wraps we ordered quite bland and when we called the restaurant to advise that we had left the tray outside once finished (as they suggested we do), they seemed nonplussed by this. The tray was still outside our door when we left to go to breakfast the following morning. Breakfast itself is a decent offering with a reasonable choice of fruit etc on the buffet and a chef on hand to cook omelettes and eggs to order. These chefs were without a doubt the most helpful and pleasant staff in the restaurant at breakfast time, though they had a tendency to go missing every so often. On day one, we both ordered tea and it arrived with hot milk. I tried to catch the attention of the waiter who served it to ask for cold milk and she returned a while later with a notepad saying, I couldn't take your order without this. I took from this that she had been aware of me trying to get her attention although she had not acknowledged that and continued to walk away to retrieve her notepad which I find particularly rude. I said that we weren't ready to order but would like cold milk for our tea. She told me that some people prefer hot milk and that's how they serve it. I asked again for cold milk and eventually got it. The next day I specifically said we would like the tea with cold milk and the waiter that day responded by saying that of course the tea would come with cold milk; it always does - go figure. I could cite several examples like this. All in all, we found that the staff were inclined to congregate around the till and it was difficult to find someone to assist you. On occasion, we were almost made to feel like we were interrupting conversations and whatever important work was going on around this seemingly fascinating till. No-one asked how our meals were or, once we had them, if we needed anything else. I can see from previous management responses that the reason no-one asks about how one's meal is, is due to the fact that this hotel prides themselves on an exceptional standard of food. What a pity. Had anyone taken the time to visit our table during the two occasions we had dinner in the restaurant or I would have been able to tell them things like our salt cellar was empty, we would have liked to order more vegetables as the portions weren't large enough for us and I'd have liked a second coffee after dinner.... The exception to this was when a member of the management team was in the restaurant at which time it was like being in a different hotel where the service magically went up a couple of notches. The other problem with the Cliff restaurant was the birds. While there will always be birds around in an outdoor restaurant, the fact that service is quite slow and a lot of time is taken to clear tables means you will often find yourself at breakfast sitting next to a table of birds eating your departed neighbours' breakfast remains. They also sit on beams and light fittings around the restaurant and there is bird faeces visible on these fixtures.

There is, as always, an exception to every rule. The restaurant at the beach here was outstanding. The first night we went, we had the tasting menu which was really wonderful. Beautiful seafood and steak and delicious cocktails to wash it all down. The team working here were fantastic, really welcoming and such fun. They created a great atmosphere to go with the great food, so much so that we ate there the following night as well and recommended it to several other guests. It's unfortunate that they only open from Thursday to Saturday.

The pool area of this hotel is nice and quiet and the cooler boxes with bottled water delivered to you at your sun lounger is a nice touch. I'd like to see more care taken with the sun loungers which are left out overnight and inevitably get soaked which is unpleasant when you want to use them the next morning.

We had to move rooms during our stay here. Having complained to reception for a number of days running about broken window blinds, noise, a serious mosquito problem and a shower with poor pressure combined with unpredictable changes in water temperature, no action was taken to resolve the issues. The final straw came when the shower room ceiling began to leak above the toilet and we insisted on changing rooms. Our new room was really nice and had a great view which we really enjoyed. Overall the rooms are decent but this is by no means a 5-star offering. They are described as having bathrooms with walk-in shower which I would take to mean there is a bath and a shower (after all, it's not a bathroom if there's no bath in it) but we had no bath which I found really disappointing in a hotel at this level. I found that as long as housekeeping left three bottles of something in the bathroom, they weren't so concerned whether you had three shampoos, or two shower gels or whatever so again my view was that the attention to detail just wasn't there.

The setting here is really stunning with amazing views from the pool area and the restaurant and a lovely small cove with private beach. Its just a real pity that the hotel doesn't live up to its 5-star billing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SouthSideSpinner
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your stay with us last January

Clearly you have pin pointed some areas that were under par whilst you were with us and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation in certain areas

Thank you for trying to create a balance and I am pleased that liked the hotels stunning location and that you enjoyed the Naked Fisherman Restaurant

We always aim to provide great service and we would dearly love to have the opportunity of changing your impression and if you are ever planning another visit to the Island of St Lucia we would very much like to take care of you and show you Cap Maison in her true colours

Kind regards

Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We (me and my wife, my friend and his wife) stayed in the resort in Dec 2013 for about 5-days. St Lucia is a very beautiful place and Cap Maison fits the bill perfectly. We got villas (which were 3-storey) - the ground floor has a small kitchen, a dining space and a balcony overseeing the ocean, the first floor was a bedroom with a balcony and the top floor being a terrace. The view of the ocean is just superb in the morning, it feels you are just in front of the ocean. Cap Maison has a small beach, nothing comparable to the beach of Jade Mountain (where we drove down and worth a visit) or Sugar Beach, but a small cute one with a good bar. Other good facilities:
(1) Swimming pool - very nice, would recommend going during sunset,
(2) Breakfast area - full view of the ocean view, good food,
(3) Friendly staff - helped us in organizing the trips to Piton, Sunset cruise, Zip line.
Negatives: The service during dinner could have been much better. I presume the hotel is slightly understaffed and hence takes a lot of time in delivering food. We hired a car and used to drive down to the city center (10-15 mins drive) where you can find some good restaurants.

Overall would strongly recommend Cap Maison as a holiday location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saby C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very beautiful resort. Super private, quiet. Beautiful architecture and furnishings. Food was good. Staff very nice. Clean. The beach is fantastic with all kinds of non-motorized activities for you to partake it. Snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding and much more.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter, all the rooms are beautiful whether your looking at a parking lot or the beac...
3 Thank allosjul
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Having had 3 nights of a private pool with Piton view at the Stonefield estate I wondered if I'd done the right thing in booking 4 nights at Cap Maison but as soon as I arrived at the huge ground floor villa with pool it was clear CM is an exceptional resort.

They always say that the essence of a good hotel is in its attention to detail and it appears the owners of Cap Maison have considered every angle. The Spanish styled grounds and accommodation are beautiful and really tastefully designed to achieve a sense of privacy and luxury without ever feeling ostentatious or soulless. The villa was incredibly well appointed with kitchenette etc and a vast dining sitting area not to mention the terrace and private pool. The staff were universally friendly, charming and accommodating. Gorgeous Acqua de Parma toiletries and even complimentary mosquito spray and bite relief in the spacious bathroom. Welcome gift of rum punch, nutmeg and cookies , the thoughtfulness was very impressive. Breakfast was generous and varied and on the final day when I sat at the breakfast table watching whales in the bay I was quite certain Cap Maison is as close to paradise as you are likely to get!

Other notable points..The Naked Fisherman, great food, great daiquiris on the resorts cute little beach. Excellent gym facilities. Complimentary room on checkout when we had a late flight was a really kind and appreciated gesture. Honesty bar and shop is amazingly civilised and saves any queuing or frustration

Downsides: room service menu could have been more varied (I only realised on the last day that you could order off the menu ) but really that's all I can find and that's hardly a criticism!

If you get a chance, stay here. It's a truly exceptional experience and may just have spoiled me for anywhere else!

Room Tip: I'd make sure you get a room with pool as the complimentary room we were given for late check ou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stat2
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Fiance and I spent 6 days at Cap Maison for our Honeymoon. When we arrived at the airport we were greeted by our car service driver Ken. He was so personable and gave us a history about the island. The car ride was very nice. It did take about an hour and 20 minutes to get to the hotel, but the landscape and the company made it go by fast.

Once we got to the hotel we were greeted with champagne, and friendly staff members who took our bags, and walked us to our villa. We stayed in a two story hot tub villa overlooking the naked fisherman, which I talk about later. The villas are gorgeous and remind me of a villa in the Mediterranean. There is plenty of space and storage for all of your luggage and belongings. The beds were comfy, and combined with the sounds of the ocean and birds your guaranteed to sleep like a baby.

The food was amazing. I have to give a shout out to Cereal and Robertson who took such good care of us, especially on our private dining night. The staff here is unbelievably courteous, and seriously the best the staff that I have ever encountered at an all inclusive resort. They will bend over backwards to make sure you have a perfect time here. If you get a chance to eat at the Naked Fisherman, you must!! The burgers are amazing!! Scott the cook does a fantastic job, and is very friendly. Charlene at the Bar makes the best drinks!

My fiance and I will be coming back here again and again! We already miss it, and it's only been 2 days since we returned. Thank you Cap Maison for making our Honeymoon so special, and a trip that we will never forget.

1 Thank Megan H
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Megan

Thank you very much for posting your review so soon after your return home!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your Honeymoon spent with us at Cap Maison and I am delighted also that you found our Cap it All (all inclusive package) met your needs entirely

Cyril, Robinson and Charlene were also very proud to be highlighted within your review and they, like all of us, look forward to your return to St Lucia and to Cap Maison

Kind regards

Ross
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I attended a wedding at Cap Maison. Our room was not oceanfront, but the bride and groom's was. Our room was very nice with Caribbean colonial design and decor, including tile floors, native wood shuttered windows and doors, and rustic ceiling. It was a good size and well appointed with a porch that had an ocean view. The bath was large with a big walk-in shower and two sinks. The hot water in the shower fluctuated in temperature from cold to hot.
The bride and groom's unit was like something you only see in magazines. Full kitchen, open living room with ocean views on three sides, giant shaded ocean view veranda. The unit was 2-story with huge rooftop that included seating areas and a private pool. It easily accommodated our group of 32 and steel drummer for a "before" party. The rooftop had the grandest views of all.
The restaurant is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean. There is a wonderful view from every table. The food in the restaurant is above average.
Beaches on the island are public, but the one at Cap Maison might as well be private. It is very quiet and has a great beach bar and restaurant.
The service at the resort may be the best I have ever experienced. Everyone we encountered seemed genuinely friendly, and the staff went out of their way to accommodate every wish.
We stayed here for four days and then moved to another resort at Rodney Bay, which was a giant step down from Cap Maison. The biggest downside of St Lucia is that to get to the good resorts on the island, it is a long two-hour cab ride.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank OcalaTraveler2011
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We LOVED Cap Maison! Stunning location, grounds and restaurants - above all, I loved the service! The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful from the restaurants to reception. We were really pleased with our choice.

Grounds/Atmosphere
The grounds have a 'small' and quiet feel to them - not the place if you're after a party as there is no pool bar/music and it's generally not very loud. But if you're after luxury in a completely 'un-stuffy' and relaxing way, this is the place for you! Cap Maison became even more perfect for us when we caught glimpse of some of the other massive Sandals style resorts - I love the Spanish style layout and architecture, the rooms, the Cliff restaurant in particular, the pool and the beach!

Pool/Beach
There main pool is much nicer than the secondary one for obvious reasons (the view of the sea is a big plus!) but it is small. The beach is lovely, I just don't understand why there are only 4 sun shades - they always seem to be busy but this wasn't a massive problem. As above there isn't a swim up bar or loud music playing, it isn't that kind of place. The Cliff bar is only a few steps away from the pool so not a big deal. We actually played music (quietly) out of some speakers which didn't seem to bother anybody.

Restaurants/Bar
We are vegetarians so the Naked Fisherman wasn't really for us (although the setting was lovely) but we loved the staff and food at Cliff at the Cap. They made an effort with us (even though there were a few miscommunications) but we never left unsatisfied. On the nights they do entertainment it's lively and fun to stick around for a few drinks. The staff here are absolutely amazing - we specially loved Wendy's cheerful attitude! :)

Location
I know a lot of reviewers have mentioned the location is a bit off - I completely disagree! I thought it was perfect (unless you expect to just walk to places - this may not really be possible!). Pigeon island is a longish walk if you fancy a hike. Otherwise a cab to Rodney Bay costs 15USD each way which really isn't bad and it's full of restaurants and bars. Gros Islet is also similar but smaller.

My recommendation:
Get a Bed and Breakfast only package with Cap Maison, do a couple of dinners at Cliff and Naked Fisherman, the rest of the time get out and see the island! If you're there on a Friday night be sure to check out the street party at Gros Islet for cheap food, drink and dancing. If you're getting cabs, ask the reception to call Charlie the driver for you, he's friendly, reliable and a lovely person.

All in all I highly recommend Cap Maison for the picturesque sunsets, relaxed luxury and incredible service - I would go back!!

Room Tip: We were in room 26 - it was garden facing and it was generally fine. However probably because it is...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap Estate
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!