“At Best a 2 star Resort”

Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My review is based on my limited travel experience, the first trip l took three years ago was to Punta Cana, and we stay at the “Bahia Principle”, which is an Adult resort, rated five stars. We did not have one bad experience or anything to complain about, we would highly recommend this resort!

Now Smugglers Cove……………My husband, our two adult children (girls) ages 21 & 24, and myself went to St. Lucia and stayed at Smugglers Cove from Dec 23 to Dec. 31, 2012. We would NOT return to this resort, it is rated a 3.5, however, we would rate this resort as a 2 to 2.5 stars at best.

The resort is anywhere from 25 to 30 years old and it needs lots of TLC. The dining room ceiling had been repaired in several areas and is now breaking apart; the building is old, in need of paint, needs a new roof and is very untidy looking. There are stray cats everywhere in the dining room, birds flying around your head while you are eating. Birds are in the bread baskets, you see them drinking from the “milk”, which is then served to you for your tea and coffee. I was pooped on several times while dinning, not pleasant at all.

The public washrooms are failing apart, gashes and stripes of wood missing on the doors, dirty and in bad need of caulking, and paint, ants are everywhere. The toilet tank lids did not fit the toilets and most of the times 3 out of 6 toilets leaked water all over the floor and over your sandals. The other public bathroom 2 out of 4 toilets worked and was badly in need of paint and door and side wall repairs. (Just nasty to use!)
There was never any hand soap in the bathroom and the mirror where always dirty.

Rooms: Nasty! Rated -1
We had two Deluxe Garden View rooms and both room where VERY NASTY! They should rename the room and called it “Deluxe Jungle View”, the gardens where over grown and full of ants everywhere, the outside patio had spilled drinks all over it and looked like it never seen a broom and/or water for years. We had one plastic chair on the patio.

The room had ANTS EVERYWHERE, in the beds, on your toothbrush, everywhere. The maid never CLEAN the room, she would sweep the floor, throw clean towels in the bedroom, never placed nicely in the bathroom and make the bed.

The washroom sink looked like to have never been wash for years, it was black, and on our third day it was finally cleaned, only once for the whole week we were there. The shower and bathtub was filthy, old, never cleaned, need to have fresh caulking around the tub, just nasty! I didn’t want to use the shower; at least we had hot water.

The patio sliding doors in both rooms would NOT lock, we asked someone to fix them, and no one ever arrived. The patio glass doors and mirrors in the bedroom and washroom NEVER were cleaned once, finger prints all over everything from arrival. In fact, the housekeeper did not have any type of cleaning products on her cart. I asked to have our bed sheets change daily due to the ants and sand and I was advised by the housekeeper that she would changes the sheets every second day!!

Water Entertainment / Beach/Pools : For Dec. 24, 25, 26, 2012, we were told no water sports due to bad weather, however, the other resorts around us where offering water sports. The resort says it offers “lessons”, well that is not correct, many of us asked for lesson to sail, water ski, etc. and we were told all week “Sorry, we are not offering lessons today, and without lessons you cannot take out the sail boat, etc. Clean towels where hard to get, if you did not stand in line by 8:00 am in the morning, than you can forget about getting clean towels or signing up for water sports. The water sports where disorganized, they had everyone sign up at the same time and then you were told to stand in line and wait your turn. At times if you didn’t keep asking is it my turn, you never had a turn!

Some of the furniture on the beach and patios are old and need to be replaced. If you did not claim a chair on the beach or by the pool by 7:00 am, you would not have one for the day. My daughter sat in a chair all dressed up for supper and fell through the chair, she’s only 105 lbs. The pools where nice, and were kept clean.

Food: Compared to a five star resort, the food here is about a 3 star. If you want steak or lobster you had to pay $25.00 up to $45.00 for this. The meals at suppertime were good, not excellent, really no complaints, however, the menus stayed the same at each restaurant all week, except for Christmas day. The breakfast and buffet lunch was okay; they offered almost the same food selection each day. Tip for the day, when ordering your meal you can order more than on appetizer, however, no one will tell you this, we found out by asking. I recommend you book your dinner times on line, as we had to have some dinner reservations at 9:00 pm, way too late to eat! Furthermore, to book these dinner reservations I stood in line for 2 hours and could only book three restaurants at a time. They only had one person performing this job and it’s all done manually.

Night Entertainment:
The nightly entertainment was okay, something different each night, kept us all happy, and the drinks where excellent. Stay away from the spice rum, by daughter drank this for three days and they become very sick! Try drinking a BBC, very yummy indeed. 

People
The St. Lucia people are fine people, they made us feel welcome. There was always a smile and a hello, great customer service indeed. Buy your gifts, I would recommend your purchase your gifts at the little huts, its way cheaper than the gift shop and the Airport. The second hunt is operated by Marg, she offers hair braiding for a good price, I had my hair done, it was great, makes supper time easy to get ready for Pack a lot of sun screen it’s $25 in the gift shop. Also, I had a tourist steel our sun screen right off of our chair.

Tour:
Highly recommend you take the Exodus Adventure tour with “Caption Vicente” you will find him on the beach selling his package. His tour was the highlight of the trip. His staffs were wonderful, enjoyable, funny, and full of knowledge. Terry the guide kept us laughing the whole day. The girls parachuted and had a great and safe time. Price is noticeable with the tour guides, Jet Ski rentals, etc. Beware of those people selling necklaces on the beach my husband over paid by $45.00!

Conclusion: Overall St. Lucia is a wonderful place and I would visit again, however, I would not stay at Smugglers Cover again. With that said…. it was a nice vacation if you are used to staying in a 2 – 3 star resort. I have learned, if you can’t afford a 5 star, than keeping saving until you can! Hope this review was helpful.

Rooms: Nasty! Rated -1

Night Entertainment:

People

Tour:

2  Thank SonyaBo
There are newer reviews for Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 December 2012

beautiful island, sunset cruise was great. trip to rum distillery was good. favourite trip was the full day surf and turf trip

2  Thank julie t
Reviewed 30 September 2012

everything was just like a horror movie, everything was disgusting it's abandonned. I certainly don not recommend this place to anybody

1  Thank Audrey C
Reviewed 15 September 2012

what a fantastic holiday after speding 14 days Vince Abraham barmad and Kiesha from the Cove made our holiday more memorable with great customer service thank you so much to the both of you x x rooms,food,service excellent would reccomend Smugglers to all young,old,familys and couples great holiday x x The Greenwoods from Heywood Manchester

10  Thank carol g
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This hotel is one of the worst I have ever been too. Thank goodness I only had a day pass...I would have changed hotels if I was there for a week. The beach is terriable, The food is gross and the pools were dirty. I'm sure just going to the beach would have been much better than this. Sorry...I'm usually a glass is half full type of person but I can't be with this hotel.

8  Thank stafins