“Great no frills resort on St Lucia”

Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa
LAKEFIELD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great no frills resort on St Lucia”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We just came back after a week at Smugglers Cove which we booked as a sell off so the price was great . The resort it self is all one story cabin type units on a very large property we were in room 417 so close to the main bar and buffet restaurant. The resort has 6 pools and 3 alacarte restaurants which we went to twice each and all were very good, at breakfast you only have the buffet restaurant which was good and at lunch you have buffet and the Italian which is alacarte and has great pizza panni and more. The staff were all very friendly and helpful , the bar was well stocked but your not going to get the more expensive liquors but what they had was great. The beach is not your white sand but it is a mixture of brown and black due to this being a volcanic island. We did take a trip down the west coast but due to the very dry winter they have had it wasn't nearly a lush as I had heard it would be (blame mother nature for that not the hotel or your travel agent). If I were to go back which we would not hesitate to do I would skip the land trip and maybe do a water trip down the west coast. Anyways for anyone that complained that the rooms are dated well they were clean and in good shape and the hotel has spent over a Million dollars in the last 18 months on upgrades and will continue with more in the future. So if you have to have a 5 star plus resort so people and wipe your face during dinner then got elsewhere and spend a lot more money but don't complain when your paying much less for a great holiday. Oh I will add that we have been travelling for over 25 years to many all inclusive s so my rating this hotel as a 3.5 to a 4 star is a pretty accurate rating.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Craiga

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The, dining room is infested with cats”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The first two days, I went hungry because the food was cold. After speaking with management, they acknowledge the problem and it was corrected.

My other issue was the birds. The bread is uncovered, so the birds have free access to food. I approached a worker and stated that the birds are eating the bread she looked at me as if I was crazy.

The most disgusting item is the infestation of cats in the main dining room. They are all over the place where you are eating. Thank God, I take allergy shots or I could have never endured my stay. They asked the guests not to feed the cats and they continue to feed them.

On my last night a guest was feeding at least 5 cats where I was eating. I asked the executive chef to please ask the guest not to feed the cats. His response was to get up and walk away.

Finally the entire place is run down. The public bathrooms are atrocious.

I want to point out, that some employees was very nice, Natacha, Sherman, and Niles were very nice.

Mauriac, France
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Just the Cove”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

You can access Smugglers Cove down some steep steps just before the hotel/spa complex. This means you can go on the beautiful cove beach for free and use the Naked Fisherman restaurant too. A lovely place to spend the day and do some swimming, sunbathing and snorkelling in a very pretty sheltered cove.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Nick A
Niagara Falls ny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun in the sun”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went with six other couples Resort had all the capabilities of being a four star minor little amenity issues that we contacted management and they solved right away enjoyed going there but will not go back again just a personal preference all the reviews that we have read prior to going we're somewhat misleading it wasn't as bad as some people had made it to be . Had a great time food was suitable to just about everybody is taste we had people with medical of food preferences and the staff more than accommodated them

2 Thank Dennis W
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We visited there from 3/25 thru 4/3.. We were afraid it was going to be awful because of the reviews on trip advisor. . But it was a really beautiful vacation. We stayed in a beach side room. .. totally worth it! The room was so nice and so close to the beach. The restaurants were all great! We visited the buffet and the Asian, Italian, and waterside. The food was excellent! Jasminder, at the waterside was so nice and friendly. I don't remember the waitress at the Asian place but she was great too.. As was the bartender, Bryan. All of the guys at the water sports area were friendly and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. So lush and colorful. We met some other vacationers, who also read trip advisor, and were going to cancel bc of the bad reviews .. But were glad they didn't.
For those of you who are worried about leaving the grounds and driving around the island. .. don't be afraid. I did it.im 43. I normally drive in the states. But got used to the other side of the car and street pretty quick. The streets are twisty and turney and it takes a while to get anywhere but it was worth it. For the most part everyone outside of the resort was friendly. There are beggers &they can be pretty aggressive but. . Every County I've visited has had beggers. (Except maybe Australia). In conclusion... St Lucia is GORGEOUS. GO THERE NOW! ! And SMUGGLERS COVE... was perfect. Best vacation ever! !

3 Thank Mary Ellen J