“Distinctly Average!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Distinctly Average!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The layout of this hotel is somewhat strange with some bedrooms being a fair walk from the reception area and other communal rooms. Decor is drab, especially in the bedroom and bathroom. The shower facility is unusual and without instructions it was difficult to know just how to operate the shower without also running the bath taps! Corridors are odd with vending machines selling food and drink items at various points.
On arrival the lunch was awful and the dining area completely unatmospheric. Not being able to find a decent salad bar offering a salad for main course I chose 1 of the 3 hot meals, 'tuna bake', which was served from a school like hatchery. I thought this would be a tuna and pasta dish but infact it turned out to be a very plain tasting grilled tuna steak served with very liittle else. The tuna was very tough and I noticed I was amongst many who left much of it.
In the evening we had a function in a suite (the golf club) away from the main building. Very poor directions were offered by staff and there were no signs outside so a large number of the party were forced to walk around the large car park until someone stumbled across the venue!
Atleast the location of the hotel is handy being near the M1 and central to much of England.

Room Tip: Try and get one within 5 minutes of the reception!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your constructive review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that you found the décor of our hotel to be drab, especially in our bedrooms which are just recently newly refurbished. I am further sorry to hear that you found our shower difficult to operate and would encourage you to contact Reception at any point during your future visits should you need any assistance and our staff will be happy to help. Furthermore I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meal in our Restaurant and felt your meal was unatmospheric and not up to our usual high standards. I will certainly reiterate your valid points to our Head Chef in relation to the tuna bake and will also consider your suggestion of having a salad bar alternative for main course; thank you for this. I apologise that the directions given to you to our County Suite were not clear and that our signage was not clearly visible in the evening. I will certainly look into ways we can improve this so that it is clear for all our guests. Thank you for taking the time to give me your relevant feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alan Whiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Southampton
Reviewed 2 December 2013

From their website I expected something more from this hotel. When we got there I realized that it was an impersonal huge hotel that catered more for the business classes.The pool and leisure facilities were in a separate part of the hotel, which you had to go outdoors to reach. There is nothing wrong with this hotel but it is not suitable for a romantic stay or daytrippers as such.
Beware the satnav it brings you along tiny lanes that make you think it is in the middle of nowhere. They do offer complimentary tea and coffee and fruit and biscuits in the lounge, but that is not enough to make me want to stay there again. The bed was very small and uncomfortable, so for those wanting a good nights sleep this is not the place.

Room Tip: No idea about good rooms, there were hundreds, ours was a fair trek.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and felt the service you received was impersonal. Usually our guests are very complimentary about the level of customer service they receive from us as in De Vere we aim to excel at giving our guests memorable experiences, be it business or leisure customers, and I apologise that you feel this is not what you received. Whilst we are primarily a conferencing venue many of our customers find our unique location beneficial to so many surrounding points of interest and I am sorry to hear this was not the case for you also. Thank you for taking the time to give your valued feedback.

Preston
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night en route to visit family and were amazed at the quality and value for money . We had a 'deal' (£43 B and B for two!!)and received excellent service from staff, spacious, clean accommodation including bathroom with bath and very good choice of food including as much tea/coffee and biscuits as desired and free wi-fi. Best value we have experienced for many years. We shall be on the look out for similar deals from De Vere.Thank you

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you very much for your upbeat overview of your recent one night stay with us at Staverton Park. I am thrilled to hear that you managed to find one of our fantastic online offers and would encourage you to keep an eye online when planning your next visit for similar great offers coming soon! I am glad to hear that you found your bedroom spacious and clean and that you experienced our first class customer service that De Vere always aims to excel in. I am pleased that your evening meal was plentiful and of good standard and that our complimentary tea, coffee and wifi were a nice surprise. I look forward to welcoming you back soon for your next stay.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely welcome.....clean homely comfortable rooms...beautiful views....enjoyable swim, sauna and steam.....pleasant drink in the bar....cannot find a single fault......sadly we are only here for one over night stop and would have loved to have stayed to watch the golfers on the lovely course......will definitely stay here again for longer and will recommend to all my friends.....look out for their great offers.....we only paid 39 pounds ...a real bargain..

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your positive review of your short stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased that you found your welcome and check in satisfactory and your room to be clean, homely and comfortable. I am glad you enjoyed the views over our golf course and sorry that you did not get a chance to enjoy watching any games during your stay. I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed the use of our leisure facilities and that you also had a lovely relaxing drink in our bar during your time with us too. I am glad you found your stay such good value and that you are already planning to stay again. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you do.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The food was not up to it's usual standard at the function. The starter goats cheese tartlet that you expected to be warm was cold straight from the fridge. The vegetarian option was cold. This is the 3 year we have been to a function here & must say the worst food we have every had. Breakfast next day tables were not cleared off the previous people & you had to ask for cultery &cups.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your constructive review following your recent dinner and dance event with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that you did not find your evening meal up to our usual high standards. I will certainly reiterate your valid points to our Head Chef so that he and his team can work to improve upon the points you have raised. I am sorry to hear that at Breakfast the following morning it was very busy when you arrived and that you had to ask for your table to be cleared. These matters will be relayed to all waiting staff so that they are aware of your important feedback and can look toward improving the efficiency of service at Breakfast. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here with friends for 1 night. Rooms were good standard. Situated on a golf course so lovely views
Evening meal was lovely although I ordered an Etonian mess for dessert and it had no meringue in it! Breakfast was probably one of the worst I have seen it was buffet style and all looked as though it had sat there for hours even though it was 8am on a Sunday morning! Most of it was inedible especially black pudding that you could not even cut into. However when we complained the management did apologise and remove from our bill

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you found your rooms to be of good standard and enjoyed the beautiful views of our golf course too. I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal and am sorry to hear of the lack of meringue in your Eton mess. I am equally sorry to hear that our Breakfast buffet was not up to our usual high standards but am pleased that the management on duty were able to rectify this issue by removing the charge from your bill. I will reiterate your valid comments to my Head Chef for investigation so thank you very much for taking the time to inform me of this. I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the near future.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here on a Friday evening, the staff are very friendly, the room was good although the TV needed sorting out. The leisure complex was brilliant and it was free and they provided towels. the scenery and golf course made the hotel look as if it had plenty of space.They even had free tea, coffee, and biscuits in the reception area.
THEN it went from 9 out of ten to 1 out of 10 quickly, you are welcomed in the car park by the open sight of the biffa bins and other bins and barrels,how do you allow that.The Friday night meal i assume for the large party of 240 people and other guests, which seemed to be prepared and served by 1 chef was a running buffet of just a salad starter no accompaniments the soup had, had it, main course of a chicken leg or overcooked gammon in a congealed sauce, some kind of swimming courgette dish or another congealed pasta dish followed by frozen bought in gateaux. At £19.95 a head, terrible in this day and age it screamed of what we used to get in the 70s this is the worse bit ? how can you charge over £ 20 for a bottle of wine and that's the cheapest when you serve crap food ,We obviously skipped breakfast, please tell me. i was up all night obviously due to over indulgent of flour and a noise from other peoples fans in bathrooms . So you see very good and very bad nothing in the middle. oh and when we paid the bill the reception didn't ask us if we had a nice time/ evening. It could be so easily rectified.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and the standard of your room was as expected. Please do not hesitate when you next stay to contact Reception should you need any assistance, such as with the television, and our staff will be happy to assist you in any way possible. I am glad that you enjoyed the use of our leisure facilities and our beautiful views over our golf course too. Furthermore I am pleased that our complimentary tea, coffee and snack station was an added bonus to your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meal with us; as with any buffet the downside to freshly prepared and cooked food is a little wait for replenishment and I apologise that when you came to get your starters this was the case. I am sorry to hear that you found the soup and our options for main courses were not up to our usual standard I will certainly reiterate your valid comments to our Head Chef so that he is aware and can work with the team to rectify this. I apologise that you found our prices for wine to be too expensive, we always keep our prices in line with our neighbouring competitors and I am sorry this was too much for you. I am further sorry to hear that a neighbouring room kept their bathroom fan on all night and this meant you did not enjoy a restful nights’ sleep. I will work with the team to improve upon these matters and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alan Whiteley

Travellers are raving about these Staverton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Sedgebrook Hall
Sedgebrook Hall
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!