“Shame about the food”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Shame about the food”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I took a golf break.Com vacation at Staverton Park.
Two days, two rounds of golf, dinner, bed and breakfast.
The quality of the hotel was average De Vere standard.
The golf course was in superb condition considering the heavy recent rains we have suffered.
The greens were perfect. The fairways were faultless. There are plenty of bunkers, at least we found plenty, there was always a rake within reach and the sand was good quality. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our golfing experience.
HOWEVER, there was no a la carte menu in the restaurant for dinner, and a buffet was compulsory.
The quality and choice of food was awful. Two starters - tepid soup or salad. for main course there was dry (overcooked) hoki fish, bbq chicken legs, or lasagne. A pot of boiled vegetables, and that was it. The desserts were ok. Our table was never cleared of used dishes and cutlery. We removed all our debri onto the vacant table next to us.
The food was very disappointing and certainly not up to four star standards.
Breakfast was also of poor quality. All the eggs were hard, and the bacon had been cooked for hours and was like leather.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your positive and constructive review following your recent golf break with us at Staverton Park. I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our golf course finding it challenging and well maintained. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food throughout your stay and you did not enjoy our buffet style evening meals. I will reiterate your valid points in relation to temperature and quality of the food to our Head Chef so that this may be improved upon. I am further sorry to hear that there were shortfalls in service during your evening meal and will address this matter with our Restaurant team. I apologise for any inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back soon and showing you how your feedback has enabled changes in service.

Kevin Breeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at this even from 19-22 May 2014 at this hotel and the service I receive u wouldn't recommend to anyone friends or family. I checked in on the 19th May 2014, I went to have a shower and could not control the power of the shower, I spoke to reception and they told me they would send maintenance man to sort it. Instead they send housekeeping. Housekeeping came and said they would send maintenance first thing in the morning. On the 20th no maintenance person came I went back to reception and this time they send the housekeeping manager and she again told me she would send maintenance man. No one came through my stay there for I could not have a shower throughout my stay. All I could do is have baths, service was absolutely poor and staff did not keep their words.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you very much for your constructive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so very sorry to hear that there was a breakdown in communication when you came to inform our Reception team of the faulty shower in your room and that our Maintenance team did not come to attend to this during your stay. I will be sure to speak to the relevant departments in relation to your valid comments as we always try to respond as quickly as possible to any queries our guests may have or assist them in any way possible. Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your dissatisfaction and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent 2 nights here on a work conference. The rooms were clean but quite basic. There were no tea/coffee tray in the room but when we mentioned it to the reception they arranged some to be sent to the room straight away. The staff were very friendly and professional and the food was excellent. Meals were buffet style (apart from our evening 3 course meal) and there was plenty of choice. I would be more than happy to visit here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for your positive feedback in relation to your recent conference stay with us at Staverton Park. I am thrilled to hear that when you had a query, our team were efficient and fast in finding a solution to assist you and can only apologise that the tea tray was initially omitted from your room. I am pleased that you found our team friendly and professional and thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast and evening meals with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, perhaps for a leisurely stay.

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed in this hotel many times and always find it clean, well maintained with excellent staff. The only downside is the pool and spa area isn't attached to the main hotel building.
We will definitely be back

• Stayed December 2013
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park and thank you also for your valued custom, we are so glad you are returning customers of ours. I am thrilled to hear that with every visit you find our venue clean, well maintained and all our staff to give you excellent customer service. I am sorry that you find the outside location of our leisure facilities to be an inconvenience. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Comfortable rooms, lovely bar and excellent location for Silverstone. Most comfortable bed i have ever had in a hotel! Excellent room service, food was delicious. Football was on in the bar which pleased the other half!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive comments in relation to your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased you enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep and that our location was of benefit to your visit to Silverstone as well. I am glad that you found our bar pleasant and thoroughly enjoyed your room service, finding our food to be of excellent quality. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the entertainment for the evening too (football). I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely resort to stay, but I would advise not to go cheap, I found the welcoming hotel on one of the cheap website for a last minute room reservation and it wasn't up to my expectations but visited the other double rooms and they were delightful. No free view and week wifi for those with older generation phones or tablets, but there is the option to plug into the mains in the room.
You have full use of the swimming pool, gym and leisure centre which is lovely. The staff are welcoming and very professional and the grounds are massive, even if it happens to rain throughout your stay you have things to do and just exploring the building itself is a good time consumer. But the food we had from the bar was less satisfying. Don't let the few minor negatives put you off of experiencing the hotel as it has a lot of pluses. I would stay here again but will get the dearer room the next time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hereford
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Hotel was nearest to civil wedding venue. A special deal was arranged for an agreed number of rooms. Initially, when trying to book a room, central reservations could not take the booking as the agreed rate was not showing on the central reservation booking system.
Hotel set in nice surroundings but it clearly is a conference hotel. Bedrooms are adequate but lack modern level of standards. Fridges do not appear to be provided. There are no drawer units, tv channel choice is limited and room illumination is poor, particularly in the bathroom. The shower operation is difficult to grasp and no shoe cleaning cloths are provided . A single basic sheet on hotel facilities was provide in room 381 and no listing of tv channels. Lack of air conditioning was a major deficiency. Bar prices were expensive
Morning breakfast on the two days we stayed was chaotic . Tables had not been cleared, tables not set out. Certain food trays not replenished.
Reception staff (2) we're good but major delays at latest check out times.
Room service ok.
Sheer size of the conference facilities will probably secure its future but for the casual user it will be a case of convenience of location rather than wow factor of the hotel which will justify its commercial success.

Room Tip: There are lifts near reception but long corridors and wings may involve walking down long corridors...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you very much for your positive and constructive review following your recent stay with us for such a special occasion. I am sorry to hear that there were complications when initially booking your group of bedrooms but glad that this issue was resolved directly with our venue. I am pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings and sorry to hear that you found your bedroom and amenities below our usual high standards. Unfortunately we do not provide fridges or shoe polishing materials in any of our bedrooms and I am sorry to hear this was an issue for you. I can only apologise for the lack of choice in television channels; we are aware of this issue and there is a project in motion to address all televisions in the venue. I am further sorry to hear that your room had no air conditioning and this was a disappointment for you; with any future visits, please do feel free to request this when booking your room and our team will do their best to accommodate your needs, subject to availability. Thank you for your constructive comments in relation to lighting in 381, I will ensure our Maintenance Manager addresses this issue immediately. I am sorry to hear that when you came down to Breakfast it was at the busiest period and felt chaotic, our team always endeavour to work as efficiently as possible and I apologise that you had to wait for a table to be relayed and the buffet to be replenished. Unfortunately there can be a little waiting time for our hot buffet to be replenished; one downfall to freshly cooked food, but we believe fresh is best and the benefits out-weight the downfalls! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the room service you ordered during your stay and am sorry you felt our bar prices were too high, we always keep our prices in line with our surrounding competitors. I am pleased that you found our Reception team efficient and sorry to hear that again, you were caught in our most popular check-out time and this meant a slight delay. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and allowing us in return to improve upon these matters.

Kevin Breeze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!