“A joke”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“A joke”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We've stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party and can't really think of anything positive to say. The room was hot (no air con) and badly ventilated and there was dust on all sorts of surfaces. Breakfast was average but the receptionist has topped it all! We've had a late check out (11am) booked as part of our reservation. This was confirmed to us at the check-in, but at 9.15 the next morning, we had a knock on the door from housekeeping telling us to vacate our room by 10am. We went to reception to point out the mistake (nicely!) but an extremely rude receptionist told us we were wrong (our booking confirmation proved that we weren't) and will have to vacate our room. We refused and went to breakfast only to be told by the same receptionist that breakfast had finished at 9.30 (it hadn't)! In the restaurant we met another member of our party who had been waiting for quite a while to be ticked off the breakfast list and had now decided to take matters in his own hands and do the job himself. By the time we finally checked out, the receptionist had been informed of her mistake (she tried it with everyone in the party) and the check out went smoothly. However, looking at the receipt at home (I did the booking, my husband paid at the check out), we realised that we had been overcharged by £10! A phone call to the hotel got us nowhere:"You need to send proof." - which we did. Have heard nothing since. We've stayed in hotels quite a bit both privately and on business but we've never come across "service" like this before. Terrible.

3 Thank Ute T
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am crestfallen to learn of your disappointing stay with us and would like to investigate these matters and look toward a resolution for you. Please contact me directly at kbreeze@deverevenues.co.uk so that I may look into these issues in further detail with you.

Kevin Breeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
northants
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived here to spend 4 doors on Business attending a training event. Checkin in was fine. Rooms are dull and in need of updating. No air con and a basic wall heater if its cold.Windows didn't open very far. No doors on wardrobe and no refridgerator. The bed as two singles put together and very hard.

We were dining from the buffet and although the food looked good, it didnt really cater for the more health concious or those dietary issues. Everything was in oils, sauces and pastry. There was a small salad selection, but again oils used and it was udner lighting rather than refrigerated. Jacket potatoes were offered at lunch but not at dinner. The first day I asked if I could have a plain chicken breast, rather than one is sauces and was told a flat no. On the 3rd day there was a change of staff and this time very helpful in providing a plain peice of fish with new potatoes and veg.

The breakout areas had plenty of tea, coffee, porridge and biscuits. There was a note to say that gluten free biscuits were available on request but there was no one about to put the request to.

On the last day I ordered breakfast in my room. This arrived 15 mins late and was luke warm.

I certainly wouldn't stay here if I was paying for it and had a choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lovecatz
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your constructive review following your recent business and training trip with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that you felt the décor of your bedroom was in need of updating but am very pleased to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms and will certainly take into consideration the points you have mentioned in your review in relation to the facilities within the room. I am pleased to hear you found our evening buffet to be appealing and thank you for your comments in relation to the dietary content of the food. Should you wish to have something we have offered at lunch, or have dietary requirements, our team are always happy to assist where possible and I would encourage you to notify your event organiser prior to arrival, or on the day of arrival and our chefs will be more than happy to provide a flexible menu to meet your requirements. I am glad to hear that this was the case on the second day and am sorry to hear that our team were less helpful the previous day; I will be sure to investigate this. I am pleased that you found our breakout areas to be fully stocked and beneficial to your training event and as mentioned previously, please do not hesitate to notify a member of staff on arrival or alternatively your Meetings and Events representative and our team will ensure any dietary requirements are met. I am sorry to hear that your Breakfast was late on your final day and you found it to be luke warm also. I will ensure all staff are briefed on the standards and prompt service we always pride ourselves upon to avoid this happening again.

Guiseley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

An excellent venue and restaurant. Bizarre late night residents drink policy though whereby the bar only accepts payment on room after a certain time. This was not enough to put a damper on the trip though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your concise and positive review following your recent trip to Staverton Park. I am thrilled to hear that you found our venue and our Restaurant to be of such high standard and that you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that our payments policy was an inconvenience for you when drinking in the evening and just to clarify, this is a policy that we will not be able to alter unfortunately as this is in line with Alcohol Licensing legislation. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thornton, Lancs, UK
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed overnight en route to an event which necessitated a very early morning start. Checking in at reception, I enquired about the possibility of some sort of early breakfast. The receptionist said of course, there would be a continental breakfast waiting for us to take away the following morning.
Our room was on the first floor with a view of the golf course. It had a "patio door" window which was great, unlimited fresh air! The room was very comfortable and although not luxurious had everything we needed, except somewhere within reach to hang your towel, and a bath mat, so we had to use a hand towel on the floor after showering. I expect that frustrates the housekeeping staff as well.
The bar staff were very pleasant and attentive, as were their restaurant colleagues in the airy restaurant where we enjoyed our meal with the wine which was included in our package.
After a comfortable night we checked out at 05.30, collecting our breakfasts which were ready and waiting for us.
And what breakfasts! Croissants, pastries, strawberries, apples, yoghurts, sultanas and orange juice. (Might have been bananas was well).
All in all, a good experience, and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your complimentary review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that our location proved beneficial to your long journey and that you were made to feel welcomed immediately with our Reception team allowing flexibility for Breakfast times to suit your needs. I am glad that you appreciated the beautiful views over our golf course from your room and that you were pleasantly surprised with the patio doors within, allowing for fresh air to circulate. I am pleased you found everything you might need in your bedroom and enjoyed a comfortable nights’ sleep too; most important! Thank you for your helpful comments in relation to a towel rack closer to the showers, I will certainly consider this as we continue to refurbish our bedrooms. I am glad that our Bar and Restaurant teams were pleasant and attentive and that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal also. I am overjoyed that our venue has exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back when you return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Big hotel with large car park. Walking to the hotel from the far end of the car park was a real pain and then a really long walk to the room was not a great experience.

Check-in could have been smoother with the receptionist taking time to find my reservation when you just want to check in. The room was not easy to find as the room numbers sign was obscured. The room itself was fine if a little dark it could probably do with a little work to spruce it up.

The food at the hotel was good and the service in the restaurant was fine.

WiFi was free but not not strong as it kept dropping out....which is really annoying. This needs to be improved.

It appeared to be full of golfers and professional types........some a little noisy from enjoying the bar facilities.

Good value

Room Tip: Get a parking space near the hotel entrance and ask for a room near reception. The hotel is spread o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JonnyBerlin
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your constructive and positive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that when you arrived our car park was very busy and this meant quite a walk to the entrance of the hotel, and further that you found your room to be too far from Reception also. As you have quite rightly tipped other future guests, should you request a room close to Reception, our team will be happy to try and meet your needs as long as we have the availability. I am sorry that you felt that your check in was not smooth due to the Receptionist taking too long to find your booking, I will reiterate this to our team behind Reception to improve upon. I am glad to hear that you liked your room and further that you enjoyed your evening meal in our Restaurant, finding our team to give good customer service also. I am pleased that our complimentary WiFi was of benefit to your stay and sorry to hear that the signal was not as strong as it could have been. I apologise that some of our other guests were too noisy in the bar and disturbed you but very glad that you found our venue to be good value. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

It was painfully awful.

Scolding shower, broken lights resulting in darkness for 30 minutes at midnight (we had only just arrived), broken TV, DISGUSTING customer service, 10 minute walk to our room (literally), lack of Wi-fi and no real windows. But the absoutle highlight was being woken at before 9am on a Sunday morning from a choir singing.

But hey, the bed was comfy.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Jade C
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am most disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit and of the problems you incurred. Thank you for your comments in relation to the shower being too hot, and also the issue of the television; I have relayed your valid comments to our Maintenance Manager to attend to. I am sorry for the inconvenience of the lights, but very glad that when the problem had been highlighted to our team, they resolve the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible. I apologise that you could not connect to our complimentary WiFi and would encourage you to contact Reception at any point during your next stay should you require any help and our team will be more than happy to assist you. I am sorry that you found your bedroom to be too far from Reception, unfortunately we do offer our closest rooms to those less able primarily, or those with children, but should you wish for a room close to Reception on your next stay please do request this upon booking and our team will endeavour to meet your needs as long as we have the availability. I am glad you found the bed to be comfortable and sorry that the choir awoke you on Sunday morning. Thank you for taking the time to give me your constructive feedback.

Kevin Breeze

Travellers are raving about these Staverton hotels

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I think this is a last-resort 'hotel' for those of you that want a stay, but even then you shouldn't expect a suitable room straight away.

This was a strange experience, almost like De Vere were totally unprepared to provide a suitable hotel room. Easily my least favourite hotel of this year, and I'm certainly worse off for having been there.

We arrived at 11pm for our pre-booked room. The lady on reception was so busy looking at papers that it took her 2 minutes to realise we were standing there. Nonetheless, when she did notice us and we paid for the room, we traipsed to our room a fair walk away and found that to our surprise half the lights didn't switch on. We walked all the way back to reception with our bags to explain that the lights were not working, so one of the members of staff walked us back to the room to investigate. After half an hour of playing with switches and lights, while we were asked to sit in the dark room, the majority of lights were on. The staff member was friendly enough, but it was hardly the best start.

So, we connected to the wi-fi... and then it immediately fell out of signal for both of us. I actually didn't get connection until I left the room.

But fine, it's nearly midnight - who needs lights and wi-fi at that time? So we fall asleep in the comfy beds... to be awoken at 9am by a choir singing loudly and proudly. Don't get me wrong, it'd be lovely if I were on a Fijian island or if I'd slept at a church or if I'd stayed at the Ladysmith Black Mambazo appreciation centre, but I'd chosen to stay at a De Vere hotel in Daventry after a day travelling from Birmingham to Milton Keynes to Northamptonshire. When I mentioned this at reception, apparently this is just a thing that happens - the choir are aware of when they should and should not be singing, and I was told that they tend to ignore the rules of when and when not to sing, so this is what it is. I guess it's just something that other guests have to just find out on the day. Lovely singing, of course, but not necessarily for me at 9am on a Sunday when I'm absolutely knackered.

A particular highlight was the shower. You can't reach the taps to turn it on without leaning around a glass pane or, ideally, standing in the shower. I opted for the lean-over approach. What I didn't appreciate is that when I turn the dial, I will be scolded - so I now have a burnt back. I genuinely can't believe that you can only turn the shower on this way. Surely I can turn on a shower without having to lean in, and then get immediately soaked with scolding water? I imagine this is a health and safety incident waiting to happen for other guests, but then I guess this is also just another surprise for the guests.

So, in conclusion, the bed was good, the guy that helped with the lights was pleasant, but you should expect a comfy bed and friendly staff in any hotel worth its salt. Poor wi-fi, waiting for lights in our room, morning choir wake-up calls and impractical showers are a low point. Definitely one for the masochists out there.

1 Thank Oscard17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!