“Golf Break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Lincoln UK
“Golf Break”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a two night golfing break as part of a group of twelve golfers. The hotel has a good sized lobby with free access to two computer terminals and two coffee machines providing a variety of free coffees. The reception desk was quite busy when we arrived but the receptionists were friendly and efficient and check in did not seem to take long at all. I had opted to pay extra for single accommodation and was allocated a double bedded room quite near to reception, the rest of our group were allocated twin bedded rooms somewhat further away. I would best describe my room as a standard corporate hotel room big enough not to be cramped but not large. The furniture in the room consisted of large desk with swivel chair, a double bed and side tables, a small table and an easy chair. There was also a double wardrobe with shelf space, an ironing board and iron and a safe. Also provided was a kettle, two cups and sufficient provisions to make several cups of tea or coffee. The built in television provided several TV channels but did not have the modern guest services system commonly found in most hotels today. I was however impressed with the number of power sockets available for use to power my Ipad and charge my various electronic devices. I was also impressed the free WiFi which was fast and had enough bandwidth to allow me to watch Sky sports on my Ipad. The bathroom was small but the over bath shower worked well providing a good supply of hot water. The bed was firm but comfortable and I was able to enjoy a good nights sleep, however this may have been made possible by the lack of an air conditioning fan which made the bedroom very quiet. Although the room did not have air conditioning it stayed at a comfortable temperature throughout my stay.
All meals were taken in the main restaurant and were buffet style. There was a good selection of hot and cold items at breakfast and guests could eat as much or as little as they required. There was also a good choice of starters, mains and puddings at dinner, but I would describe the quality of the main dishes as pretty average and disappointing. I must at this point confess that I detest buffet style dining at dinner but others in my party really liked the ability to eat at their own pace rather than having to eat at the pace dictated by the waiters. The restaurant was also quite noisy both at breakfast and dinner. The bar next to reception was always busy and had a large screen television showing sports programmes. Despite the bar being busy there always seemed to be the right number of staff working the bar and I never had difficulty obtaining service. Some of my colleagues thought the bar prices exorbitant but I found the prices about the same as I would expect to pay at any hotel of this quality. As part of our group booking we enjoyed a discount on all drinks purchased. My overall experience of this hotel was good and I would gladly come here again on a golfing break. I would not however choose this hotel to bring my wife for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you very much for your detailed, positive and constructive review of your golf weekend spent with us at Staverton Park. I am pleased that you enjoyed the size of our reception area, available computers and complimentary tea, coffee and snack station and further that although many people were checking in at the same time, our receptionists were friendly and efficient in their job. I am glad that you found your room to be of high standard and found everything you might need within it. I am sorry that our televisions are not up to date with guest services available on them; we are currently in the process of working with our local network providers to get to the bottom of our issue with Freeview signal and once we have we will be replacing all televisions throughout the hotel so this will soon be rectified. I am pleased that you appreciated the amount of sockets in your room and also our complimentary WiFi was of benefit to your stay also. I am so pleased that you found our shower to be just right for you and further that you enjoyed a restful nights sleep with us, aided by the fact there was not a lot of noise pollution from air conditioning, and despite this missing mod con, your room stayed a comfortable temperature. I am pleased that you found our evening and breakfast buffets to have a good selection but sorry to hear that you found the quality of the food average, I would have appreciated if you had expanded on this point so that our chefs know what aspects need improvement. I am glad however that the other members of your party enjoyed the buffet style dining, allowing them to eat at their own pace. I am glad you enjoyed your time spent in our bar and did not have to wait long at all for service despite how busy it was. I am pleased that you enjoyed your golf break with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kevin Breeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed on 9th August and was told we were not allowed to check in until 2pm when originally told 12pm. This was rectified. Room was clean albeit the plug hole in the bath was disgusting and you could barely see the holes, full of hair and debris!! Breakfast on Sunday was a disaster! Original thoughts were fab, great selection and ample amounts. On getting my grilled breakfast and sitting down I was quickly disappointed!! Food was stone cold, as were the plates. On closer inspection all food that had been prepared and stored on the back counter was not even under heat lamps so sat to get cold before even being put out for customers. Would definitely not recommend the food but the bed was comfy. Not sure I would stay again. Free drinks available was a good touch and although free wi-fi in my room there was no service/signal (with O2)

Room Tip: Don't have breakfast!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maggie T
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you so much for your constructive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear there was confusion over your check-in time but am very pleased our team resolved the situation efficiently for you. I am most disappointed to hear that there were shortfalls in housekeeping within your room and have notified our Housekeeping Manager to investigate the matter and remind the team of the importance of more thorough checks of rooms to avoid forgetting any areas. I apologise that you did not have an enjoyable Breakfast experience with us and that although you liked the vast selection available, your food and plate were both cold. I will inform our Head Chef so that the buffet standards can be reviewed and improved with the Kitchen team and have also suggested to our Restaurant Manager that we heat the hot breakfast plates. Thank you very much for these helpful comments. I pleased that you enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep with us and further that you liked our complimentary WiFi and tea, coffee and snack station in reception. I hope to welcome you back in the future and show you how your valid feedback has enabled positive changes toward improving our standards.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with our two children with the kgbdeal - excellent value for the price we paid. Breakfast was good with pretty good choice, the kids ate well too. Dinner buffet was quite good although limited vegetarian choice but good choice of desserts.

Our room was clean and had a safe, iron and ironing board and a fan in the cupboard. Flat screen tv but like others said very limited channel selection!

The pool looked nice but we didnt get time to use although this was in another building. Tea and coffee available from reception area which was handy too. Overall a good stay and my kids liked the restaurant and hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your positive review following your recent 2 night family break with us at Staverton Park. I am pleased to hear that you found our venue excellent value for money and would encourage you to go direct to our website or follow us on Twitter to be the first to find more great offers for future stays. I am glad that you enjoyed our plentiful Breakfast and evening buffets, particularly our desserts, and that the children thoroughly enjoyed it also. Thank you for your helpful comments in relation to the available vegetarian options on our evening buffet; I will suggest to the Head Chef that we review this to offer more for our vegetarian guests. I am pleased that you found your room to be of high standard and that you found everything you might need throughout your stay within it. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the time to relax in our leisure facilities but very glad to hear our complimentary tea, coffee and snack station in reception was well received. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

On the whole this is a good hotel but needs some improvements.
Good sized room but needed a more thorough clean.
Bad reception on tv.
Excellent 3 course buffet meal in the evenings and good choice of breakfast although it was very busy and noisy on Saturday and Sunday morning.
Good leisure facilities and swimming pool.
We had some other issues during our stay but we spoke to James the hotel manager when we were checking out and an amicable agreement was made

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floor with patio as rooms have no aircon
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank allan2952
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your positive and constructive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am glad to hear that your room was of good standard and do apologise that the television signal was not great. We are in the process of replacing all televisions in rooms and our local network provider is looking into the signal issues so we are hopeful that this issue will soon be resolved. I apologise for the shortfalls in housekeeping in your room; I will be sure to inform our Housekeeping Manager so that more thorough checks of rooms are made before opening them up to our guests. I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed our plentiful evening and breakfast buffets, finding a wide selection and good quality food, I can only apologise that the Restaurant was at its busiest times when you arrived in the mornings. I am pleased that you made the time to enjoy our leisure facilities and do apologise for the other issues you came across during your stay but am so pleased that James was on hand for you to communicate with and dealt with your situation efficiently. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

west midlands
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from 2 day stay everything was 5 star5. Food rooms service all very good. In reception are tea coffee cold water cold milk apples all free all day never seen that before will definatley be trying another de vere hotel in future many thanks de vere

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your positive and concise review following your recent 2 night stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased that you found our venue to be of such high standard. I am glad that you found every aspect from your room through to our customer service to be pleasant and that our complimentary tea, coffee and snack station in reception was well received also. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel on Saturday the 02/08/2014, on arrival things were good went to our room very nice, went for a drink in the bar expensive but ok, went for a meal at 9pm CHAOS, the restaurant was emptying but there was dirty plates all over the tables, we were told to help our self's to starters, looked like people had been messing about with and there was very little left, went for the main meal and this food was just slopped on a plate by a not so very happy chef, I don't know his name but he was of rather large proportion. we went back to the table then al the sudden the staff came in to clear up so much noise and scrapping of plates we decided to leave the restaurant and go back to the bar had a couple of pints off to sleep, up next morning and it was really chaos at breakfast it was a right mess, tables with dirty plates stacked on tables, I did no more checked out and left, I would compare the restaurant to a local Hungry Horse Public house or Butlins, I would not stay there again .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lee r
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was disappointing and that our Restaurant appeared chaotic throughout your stay. I have reiterated your valid comments to our Restaurant Manager so that he may review the service procedures and make necessary improvements and give further training to staff also. I can only apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you and further that this left you with a bad impression of our venue. I am pleased however that you found your room to be of good standard and enjoyed your time spent in our bar. I do hope to welcome you back in the future and show you how your valued feedback has allowed us to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

Kevin Breeze

Travellers are raving about these Staverton hotels

Ruffec, France
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel was in a perfect location for visiting one of my suppliers, the bed was comfy but that's about all. Hotel seems to cater for large groups, so the bar where I'd have liked a quiet drink was full of very rowdy people. The corridors to my room (401) were shabby and room service trays littered the passageway to my room at the beginning of my stay and hadn't been moved by checkout. TV in the room didn't work. Ground floor room and security on the window didn't work so I couldn't even leave it ajar at night. Carry on at checkout when I asked for an invoice - apparently because I had booked online it was down to the online booking agent to supply the invoice. After checking out I saw a pool of vomit outside on the right hand side exit door - nobody had thought to clean it up. All in all not a good stay, but luckily I only paid £39 for the night. I visit Daventry monthly and thought the De Vere would be upmarket, but it was less good than I expected (and certainly less good than my last review).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your recent business trip to Staverton Park. I am pleased to hear that our location was beneficial to your trip and further that you enjoyed a comfortable night’s sleep with us. I am sorry to learn that another group staying with us were rowdy in the bar on the evening of your arrival and this disturbed your evening drink. I am disappointed to hear of the shortfalls in housekeeping standards in the corridors and will be sure to inform the relevant heads of departments to remind the teams of the importance of efficient service to avoid such discrepancies in future. Thank you for informing me of the maintenance issues within your room in relation to the window and also the television, I will ensure these are seen to immediately and apologise that these had been overlooked. I am further sorry to hear that there were problems when you came to check out in supplying an invoice; I will speak to our Reception Manager and look into this issue as it is most inconvenient for our guests. I apologise that these matters meant you did not enjoy your stay with us and fell short of your previous exemplary stay with us. Thank you for informing me of these issues and allowing us to make improvements and changes where necessary in order to continue to strive to exceed expectations and excel in customer service.

Kevin Breeze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!