“Let down by the food and features” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Staverton Estate

De Vere Staverton Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Watford, Herts
“Let down by the food and features”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

This isn't a bad hotel, its a big complex with a gym, golf course, pool on site. The staff were helpful and the rooms modern. However, little things let it down. First room was dirty and somebody had left a lighter in it. The TV in our room displayed 5 channels out of 45 it should, they weren't even the main channels and were scattered randomly without a working EPG. The WiFi doesn't work unless you are within 100 yards from reception. More importantly the dining area was a disaster. It resembled a school canteen and numerous empty tables had dirty glasses left and not tidied up. My wife asked for gluten free bread and received something barely defrosted on the microwave and still wet. The buffet service looked terrible, people cutting the same loaf of bread - wife counted 8 people putting their hands on a loaf in 2 mins. For £20 a head before drinks we expected better and not a limited gluten free menu ie chicken. We left early in the end as we live fairly close by, put off by the 9.30 checkout time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you very much for your constructive review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the size of our venue and all of our available leisure facilities also. I am glad that you found our team to be friendly and helpful and appreciated our newly refurbished bedrooms too. I am sorry to hear the initial bedroom you were allocated had shortfalls in housekeeping and will be relayed your valid comments to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure more thorough checks of bedrooms are carried out before they are opened up to our guests. I do apologise for the inconvenience of our television signal, we are currently working with our network provider to find a solution and will be replacing all televisions throughout the venue once the issue with the network signal has been resolved. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble connecting with our complimentary WiFi; should you need assistance for any reason during your next stay please do not hesitate to contact reception and one of our team will be happy to help. I apologise that when you came to dine with us in the evening our restaurant was at its busiest time and this meant our staff were focusing on service rather than clearance of the tables, and further that you felt the buffet needed better management. I will reiterate your valid points to our restaurant and kitchen teams so that they may review their practices for dinner service and look upon making improvements in this area. Our chefs always try to be flexible with dietary requirements and would have offered as much as they had available, I would however recommend upon booking advising of dietary needs so that the kitchen may order more options in advance. Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and allowing us at De Vere to always work upon improving ourselves and our standards.

Kevin Breeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Essex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I'm going to break this review down into the good, the bad and the downright ugly.

Firstly I have to say, like others I had read the poor reviews and taken them with a pinch of salt but how wrong I was.

On arrival to the hotel you are greeted by a large open reception, the cleanliness in this area was poor. Free coffee and tea is available in the reception area 24 hours.

Booked two rooms for a weekend stay, the nice thing was they were opposite each other so thumbs up to the staff.

The hotel has fast Wi-Fi which is free and the closer you are to the reception the better the signal is. As mentioned before the mobile (cell) signal is poor.

Rooms are larger than average, I only hope the room I stayed in was going to be updated (black wardrobes, tables etc.) are so 1980's. Bathroom was modern and clean, the room cleanliness was generally in my opinion below average.

The room was located down a flight of stairs not too far from the reception area. The issue with the room was the constant banging of the fire doors on the ground floor. The doors are not fitted with soft closers so when they are opened the slam closed shut. The banging from the doors continued into the early hours of the morning. I had hoped the TV would drown out the noise, however it had poor reception and was flaky at best so that did not work.

After a sleep interrupted night breakfast on the first day was like feeding time at the zoo. It was unorganised chaos from the get go. After finding a somewhat clean table I made my way to the buffet breakfast area. Plates were cold, the selection was poor as it was not being restocked quickly enough. I could not find any fresh fruit on display. The dining area requires a higher staff head count to deal with the increased number of diners at peak times.

The second day was better, went in much earlier and happy to report the plates were hot and a much better offering. Fresh fruit is available if you ask a member of staff.

Overall I would not return, recommend or even suggest this hotel to anyone.

I only hope the management team take on board constructive comments and take positive action.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Robbyroadwarrior
Kevin B, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your constructive and detailed review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and on arrival found the cleanliness of reception to be below par, I will ensure our Housekeeping Manager is made aware of this so that more thorough checks are made of this area. I am pleased that you enjoyed the use of our complimentary tea, coffee and snack station and further that our reception team had allocated you and your acquaintance rooms close to each other for ease. I am further pleased to hear that you enjoyed the use of our free WiFi and am sorry that you did not have very good mobile phone signal throughout your stay. I am glad that you found your bedroom to be spacious and the bathroom to be modern and clean and sorry that you found the housekeeping in the main bedroom to be below our usual high standard, I will ensure our Housekeeping Manager also takes note of this so as to relay these valid points to the rest of the team. Thank you for your helpful comments in relation to the fire doors outside your room causing a disturbance, I will notify our Maintenance Manager so that this may receive attention immediately, I apologise for the inconvenience caused. I am also sorry to hear that breakfast on your first morning was frenetic and service of both the restaurant and buffet were slow. I will ensure the relevant teams are informed of your constructive feedback so that changes can be made to service to ensure a more efficient and chaotic breakfast experience for our guests. I am glad however that on your second morning with us you were very happy with your breakfast and our team were helpful when required. Thank you for taking the time to give me your valued comments and allowing us at De Vere to continue to improve our practices and our product.

Kevin Breeze

Travellers are raving about these Staverton hotels

St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here as a kgb deal for 2 nights b+b with evening meal on first night. We have 2 small children aged 4 and 9 months. We had a lovely stay. The food was tasty with plenty of choice even fir our 4 year old. The room was clean and had enough space for the 4 of us. We used the pool on both days which my son loved. I thought the complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit was a nice touch. I only have a couple of very minor niggles.....tables not cleared quickly in the restaurant, the high chairs weren't clean and on booking in the staff could offer a little more information e.g restaurant opening times. And finally for us with small children the evening meal time was a little late at 6.30 start. But overall we has a thoroughly enjoyable stay and would definitely return and recommend it

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your positive account of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am thrilled to hear that you found our venue to be such good value for money for you and your family and that you all thoroughly enjoyed your meals throughout your stay. I am glad that you found your family room to be spacious enough for the four of you and also that your son particularly enjoyed the use of our swimming pool. I am further glad that our complimentary tea, coffee and snack station was well received. I am sorry to hear that you felt service to be slow in the restaurant and that you were given a dirty highchair; I will ensure that the team are briefed on your valid points so that necessary changes can be made to service to avoid this reoccurring. I am further sorry that you were not given the restaurant opening times on check in as you should have been, I will ensure the reception team are including all information in their welcome to our guests in future. I look forward to welcoming you back again for your next family break.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent Customer Service from Catherine, Laina and Siobhan/ what an assert to the place , nothing was too much trouble/ Siobhan did everything right to surprise my chap with a sparkler and dessert- thank you :) hotel is of good standard for what we needed / please De vere - sort your website out as booking was a repetitive nightmare ! All in all will definitately return.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Cathagree
Thank you so much for your complimentary review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. A further thank you for such wonderful comments about our team and the excellent customer service you received from them during your stay, I will be sure to pass this on to the team who I am sure will be thrilled. I am glad the team in the restaurant were able to make your partner’s Birthday that much more special and went the extra mile. I am glad that you find our venue to be of high standard and thank you for your helpful comments in relation to our website; I will ensure these reach Head Office so that this can be resolved. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Prior to booking, I read the reviews and figured it would be ok despite the concerns about the refurb need. We stayed 2 nights for my husband's 40th (22/8), in total we had 3 rooms. I was unimpressed by the blaze attitude relating to my concern about mould in the bathroom. As far as I am concerned undergoing room refurbishments is no excuse for a poor standard of hygiene and a lack of regard for guests. No one books time away in a reknowned hotel to be exposed to a mouldy bathroom with a room with what appears to be a hole in the wall. When I first raised the concern, I was asked if I would like someone to bleach the mouldy area......surely that should have been done when the rooms were being prepared! Then the chaos at breakfast on Sunday, where we were told by the staff member checking us in that it's busy so we need to find somewhere to sit. It was obvious that they did not have enough staff as tables were left uncleared and it was utter chaos. That was the last straw for me. We left without breakfast and checked out immediately.
The last room we were given should have been the first room and maybe I would not have left feeling so cheated. Thank heavens it was our first stop on our trip.
The mobile phone signal is extremely poor but they do give free wifi, the signal is better the closer your room is to reception.
Perhaps management should consider decommissioning some rooms or improve on hygiene/quality assurance whilst the refurbishments take place.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodelled room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank donovan j
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that our team did not seem concerned when you informed them of the issues with your bedroom, but am very pleased that they were quick to try and resolve the situation by initially offering for Housekeeping to sweep the room and instead moving your room to another available. I have reiterated your valid points to our Housekeeping Manager so that they are aware of the shortfalls and can ensure the team make improvements where necessary to avoid this situation reoccurring. I am sorry that when you came to Breakfast on Sunday it was at the busiest time and this meant it was difficult to find a vacant table and this meant you left our venue without Breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and allowing us to make changes where necessary and always work toward improving ourselves and our service.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great little break away to DeVere Staverton Park Hotel this bank holiday wkend on a KGB deal.
Arrival and checking was swift and easy- reception is well presented and there is a drinks machine- for tea/coffee free to visitors- nice touch. The room was a nice size with a side view to the lovely golf course that hotel backs onto. There was tea making facilities inside the room which is always nice to have aswell as an iron and iron board, plasma TV. As part of the deal we had dinner in the first night at the hotel and it was nice. Buffet style hot meal- plenty of food- to have as much or as little as you like.
Breakfast the next day was buffet style too- hot and cold-best to get there early before it gets too busy- We used the hotel as a base to go visit woburn safari park- 40mins approx- the park is def worth a visit with children. Our son enjoyed the swimming pool which is on the grounds too and they have set times for children so adults can avoid if they wish. Again the facilities were very good and there was a jacuzzi and sauna( i didn't use on this occasion ). All in all a nice stay away in a nice hotel and nice surroundings.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you very much for your complimentary review following your break away to us at Staverton Park over the bank holiday weekend. I am pleased that you found check in to be efficient and our reception area to be well presented too. I am glad our free tea, coffee and snack station was well received by you and further that you were very pleased with the high standard of your bedroom. I am glad that you enjoyed the beautiful view over our golf course and found all the amenities you might need within. I am pleased you thoroughly enjoyed both our evening and breakfast buffets finding them plentiful, varied and tasty. I am glad that our location was beneficial to you for visiting local attractions and also that your son was ever so pleased with our swimming pool. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another enjoyable stay.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Staverton Park is well located and has a huge range of facilities (golf club, pool, leisure centre, etc.) but the rooms need a bit of a refurb. Carpets and decor were tired and we experienced little niggles like broken bedside lamps. Saying that, the staff were welcoming and very helpful, and the whole experience was very easy. Would recommend for short functional stays - business, etc. - rather than something like a romantic break.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive and constructive comments in relation to your recent visit to us at Staverton Park. I am pleased that you felt our venue to be well located and enjoyed the use of all our leisure facilities and our golf course too. I am sorry that you found the décor of your bedroom to be tired, but am glad to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms and so this issue will soon be rectified. I am pleased that you found our team throughout your stay to be welcoming and helpful where needed and am glad to hear that you will be recommending our venue to others in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kevin Breeze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,236 reviews
Sedgebrook Hall
Sedgebrook Hall
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!