“Just dont do it!”
Review of Tri Active Lodge

Tri Active Lodge
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This is my 2nd visit. It has been horribly negleglected and is now run like a hostel by the staff with no mngt on site. This is how it went.

The grounds look like a building site. Unkept, broken waterpipes leaking and building junk lying around everywhere. Path lights broken and pool was dark green (it is mid summer and over 30 deg every day apparently it had been broken for over a week).

In the rooms the coffee cups and spoons were caked in thick dust. At least there was hot water and the bedding and floors were clean. Tent fabric is torn and needs attention.

In the morn we were woken by the cleaning staff shouting to each other outside the tent at 07:00AM (really?!) trying to figure out if the tents were still occupied. They woke the baby in the adjacent tent.

Food is awful. When I was dishing up (seems they hadn't catered enough) they actually asked me to dish up less and come back if I wanted more. Food was very over cooked and tasteless. Desert was nice though. To top it all when i got home I found the charged my account twice and now the admin to get that sorted.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CanyBugler, Owner at Tri Active Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

My sincere apologies that your second visit to our Lodge did not meet with your expectation. We recently had a prestigious award for Service Excellence, thus you will note this is definitely not our norm to drop the ball at any stage. I was away on a business trip, at the time of your stay, but the Operations Director was on site the whole weekend, as well as the duty manager.
It is understandable that you have seen pipes above the ground and wooden planking around as the new exciting expansion project on the go is in the area as you enter the lodge grounds. Some building rubble is therefore unavoidable during these building operations. Due to the popularity of the lodge and services we offer, we are adding another 18 rooms. With this in mind and the building operations around the lodge, we have had to dig channels for the underground services such as sewerage, water and electricity, which left its mark temporarily on the garden. This should be recovered soon. The swimming pool unfortunately took a pounding with the amount of building dust and mud and hence it was not crystal clear as it should have been. Our error was not advising you on check-in of the reason.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention that the housekeeping staff were noisy in the morning. I have taken steps to rectify this. Accordingly to our schedules the housekeeping staff started their rounds just after 08h00 in the morning.
The chef’s meal of the day was Oven Baked Chicken served with fresh Seasonal Vegetables and Creamy Potato Bake, followed Chocolate Mousse with Semifreddo. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy this, as the other guests dining at the same time, raved about it and even asked the chef for the recipe to take away with them. My chef has advised that there was plenty of food available, and as she was personally behind the buffet could not have requested you to take less food. Other guests returned to the buffet for second portions and there was still a good amount left after all guests had eaten. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Chocolate Mousse with Semifreddo – it is a personal favorite of mine too.
I have personally contacted our bank to find out the status of your reported double debit. The transaction from our side was definitely only put through once, as you would know having only entered your pin once. It has not as yet shown twice in our banking account. The bank has assured their immediate attention to this, which we will report back to you as soon as we have the feedback from them.
Once again, my apologies that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. We would appreciate the opportunity of seeing you here again to change your opinion about our wonderful lodge.

There are newer reviews for Tri Active Lodge

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed one night and it was quite possibly the worst experience I've had. When our group of 5 read the reviews and checked out the website we were really excited to try something different.. Luxury tented accommodation.... So we were looking forward to a night of "glamping"(glamour camping) . My first impression of the place that it was a great idea, but that it looked badly maintained. A green pool, an outside communal deck area with no tables, only bar stools if I recall correctly. So we settled on sitting by the bar inside the restaurant. We wanted to have a bite to eat before we headed out to our wedding celebrations that evening and we were informed by the staff that we could order lunch, but when we asked for a menu we were met with a very confused expression. The staff member then disappeared into the kitchen and retuned with a small, crumbled up piece of paper that had "cheese, toast and tomato" scribbled onto it. We then proceeded to have what we can only describe as the mornings cold stale toast, cheese, tomato and chips that looked as though they were fried in old oil or simply reheated from the night before. The actual accommodation was ok and we slept well. There was a frog in our shower, but hey we were glamping and we had a giggle about it. My friend had a broken tent but that issue was sorted out quickly. The next morning the maid banged on our door at around 8am (we had told them the day before that we would check out at 9:30am just before we have breakfast) when we didn't answer the door straight away she took her key and proceeded to unlock the door. My boyfriend had to yell at her to please not come inside. Then there was breakfast. We started off with the cereals. I had a bowl of muesli that lacked the expected crunch and my friends sampled other cereals. The general consensus was that the cereals were stale. Then my friend and I ordered scrambled eggs. When we lifted bacon and the mushrooms from the plate what we saw was a large pool of oil. The bacon was old. It was past crispy -it was not edible. The scrambled eggs were dry, cold and a shade of grey. Both my friend and I left our entire plate of food and settled for toast and jam. My boyfriend could at least eat his eggs (which were fried and freshly made). But overall this was not a great experience. Brian (who we assume is the manger) was friendly and quite apologetic and did offer to make something else, but what we had seen before had unfortunately already put us off ordering food there. Overall, a very average experience. What a pity.

• Stayed: February 2014

First off my sincere apologies for the seemingly bad experience you had at the Lodge. This certainly is not our norm, as can be seen from our recent award for Service Excellence. As I was away on a business trip, at the time of your stay, I have had intensive meetings with my chef and duty manager regarding your complaint.
Our lodge is extremely popular, so much so that we do have an exciting expansion project on the go at the moment adding another 18 rooms onto the lodge due to the demand. With this in mind and the building operations around the lodge, we have had to dig channels for the underground services such as sewerage, water and electricity, which left its mark temporarily on the garden. This should be recovered soon. The swimming pool unfortunately took a pounding with the amount of building dust and mud and hence it was not crystal clear as it should have been. My error was not advising you on check-in of the reason.
With regards your food complaints, which I must admit are extremely rare at our lodge, I can only apologize. The chef took her eye off the ball and delegated the making of the sandwiches as she was busy with dinner preparation. They were however freshly made and chips freshly fried. Again with the breakfast, she delegated the later meals, did not personally make and plate this, which seems to be where the problem crept in.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention that the housekeeping staff were not mindful of your checkout time. I have attended to this so it does not happen again.
We remain committed to service excellence and want to assure you that the right action has been taken to ensure there is never a repeat of this. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention to enable us to react accordingly.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Tri Active Lodge was a great place for hosting a bachelors. The staff were very accommodating and you got the feeling this wasn't their first bachelors. They knew what to expect and managed the day and evening well without "getting in the way." The archery/air rifles were good fun and the food hit the spot! Thanks again to Brian for being very friendly and helpful both with the booking and on the day.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CanyBugler, Owner at Tri Active Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

It is appreciated that you have taken the time out to write a review on your weekend event at Tri Active Lodge. It was a pleasure hosting your group and we are thrilled that good fun was had by all. That is just what a bachelors party should be.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were privileged to host our end of year Sales Conference at Tri Active Lodge from 9-11 December 2013. Tri Active came highly recommended to me and they certainly exceeded my expectations. Cany Bugler and her highly competent team were extremely accommodating and went out of her way to make our year end conference a memorable one. Cany's "everything is possible" positive attitude, attention to detail and service excellence is what makes Tri Active such a special venue. The team is passionate about what they do and they go out of their way to ensure that all their guests are happy and having fun. We had a full on Sales Conference plus an afternoon of real fun teambuilding activities - they offer the widest range of activities I have ever come across, the choice is endless! Very well planned and executed too. We ended off with our annual Year End Awards Function. And what a great function we had - they put together an "Out of Africa" themed evening for us. What great fun it was to check out all the outfits! The food at Tri Active is absolutely superb! And the desserts were wonderfully decadent! The team did an absolutely amazing job from the moment we arrived right up until the time of our departure. On arrival you are greeted with a warm friendly welcome, your luggage is taken to your room which is either a tented structure or a wooden cabin complete with an en suite bathroom and tea/coffee facilities. The beds even have electric blankets for those cold winter evenings! They have a really great outdoor braai facility with a boma braai and bean bags to relax by the fire. Their Wild Cats pub is located in the original Station Master's house which dates back to 1915 and is a real cozy meeting place after a long day of numbers and strategizing! They are on the border of some really great well know wine estates, namely Paul Cluver and Oak Valley. I would highly recommend Tri Active Lodge for your next Sales Conference and teambuilding activities. Situated about one hour's drive from Cape Town in one of the most beautiful settings. I have been with CareFusion for many years and one of my functions is to find suitable venues whether for sales conferences, customer meetings, product launches or year end functions and I have to say that Tri Active Lodge is a true gem and we certainly look forward to hosting another conference at this remarkable venue. On behalf of CareFusion SA, a million Thank You's to the Tri Active team for making our year end conference an extremely memorable one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
CanyBugler, Owner at Tri Active Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Brenda
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It was a pleasure having the opportunity to work with your group, on the teambuilding program, the conferencing and the accommodation. We really do look forward to having your group back again next year for some more extraordinary adventures with us.
Warm regards
CANY BUGLER

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Earlier this month I organised a bachelors for my best friend in Johannesburg at the Tri-Active Lodge in Grabouw (Just outside Cape Town). They were very helpful and I managed to get my full itinery sorted by them even while I was doing this from London.

When we got there we were welcomed and shown to our rooms and headed straight to the onsite bar. The staff were very friendly and let us get on with our fun/mischief for the bachelors. The bachelor amazing race was great fun and well worth it. It may even surprise you how geared it was for a bachelors :-)

All in all I would most certainly recommend Tri-Active as there is plenty to do there and the food was good as well as the drinks not too expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
CanyBugler, Owner at Tri Active Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

What a fun group you were - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Tri Active Lodge. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As there are a lot of weddings in the area we are well renowned as a great venue for bachelors to let their hair down and celebrate with their friends.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed here along the route of The EXPEDITION Project 2013 and were so grateful for the wonderful hospitality, warm fire, and electric blankets on one of the coldest nights the Western Cape has seen for a while! The food was incredible (fresh grilled fish!) and the setting is ideal for groups. I'd love to go back one day with more time to try out some of their fun activities!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LisaSontheRoad
CanyBugler, Owner at Tri Active Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

It certainly was some of the worst weather so far this winter, and that's what makes the roaring log fires and electric blankets so cosy. We enjoyed having you here with us and look forward to a return visit in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to review the Tri Active Lodge.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great tented camps, lounge area and restaurant, not to mention a whole host of activities on offer if interested, makes Tri Active an ideal Elgin/Grabouw stop-off or weekend destination. I visited during winter and despite the weather being chilly they were equipped with all amenities to make my stay cozy and accommodating.
A definite re-visit required for me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank theEXPEDITIONproject

Thank you for taking the time to review the Tri Active Lodge. It was a pleasure hosting your team here and we look forward to you returning again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grabouw
Houw Hoek Hotel
Elgin Valley Inn
#1 of 4 in Grabouw
Wildekrans Country House
Paul Wallace Wines and Guest Cottages

Been to Tri Active Lodge? Share your experiences!