We have been lucky enough to stay at Métairie Montplaisir twice this year: for 9 nights in total. We stayed in the main building and also in the Atelier, which has its own kitchen and lounge. (Both wonderful.) I have two small children so we were keen not to stay at an impersonal hotel but also wanted to avoid the endless supermarket shops and cleaning up needed for a self catering holiday.
On arrival the gates open to reveal the most wonderfully luxurious and stylish setting. A large pool, an elegant building, restored with charm and character, and the most wonderful garden surrounded by a beautiful bank of large trees. The next thing you will notice is the wonderful smell from the kitchen which, throughout our stay, seemed to constantly waft out of the doors. You soon realise that this place is a slice of heaven.
But - rather than continue to rave... I thought it more helpful to other travelers if I make some points that may help the endless decision making that seems to accompany holiday bookings:
1) The house and gardens are very impressive. Every room has a spectacular decor and with particular attention to luxurious bathrooms, space, light and comfy beds. The salt water pool is also really well done. You can see the family have invested in the restoration of this house as everything is done to a very high standard. It emits style, sophistication and relaxation. For a couple of days during our holiday we did not even leave the grounds. Having said that I strongly recommend the area – lots to do and some fantastic scenery. Albi and Carcassonne are well well worth seeing but the surrounding villages are also very special places to visit.
2) Atmosphere – as they only have 5 rooms in the whole building the atmosphere is always extremely relaxed and never feels crowded (we went at peak time so all the rooms were full yet we still were the only ones at the pool for most of our stay). The calm way that Amelie (the owner) and her family and team run Métairie Montplaisir really contributes to its charm. Nothing is too much trouble, they never seem stressed and along with the youngest member of their family - little Carlota (aged 3) they emit an infectious sense of wellbeing and happiness. To add to the sense of luxury and switching off the cleaners had a knack of quietly tiding up around us.... without us even noticing.
3) The food and wine at Métairie Montplaisir is really exceptional. Amelie’s Mum, Françoise was awarded a Michelin fork in her previous restaurant and it’s not hard to see why. What is more, both her and Amelie will serve you breakfast (fresh, homemade and seasonal) when you get up (as long as it’s after 9am) so we often enjoyed long lazy brunches with the kids. Françoise also cooked fantastic food for our small children for lunch and during the evenings.
I really could go on – staying at Métairie Montplaisir was the best decision we made this year and the first time since I have had the children that I have felt totally relaxed and pampered for 9 whole blissful days. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Conques sur Orbiel, 9kms from Carcassonne, La Metairie Montplaisir is a luxury escape away from crowd and noise, where you will enjoy a fine and home cooking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Metairie Montplaisir reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.