“Love this to succeed”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“Love this to succeed”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

As a local I would like this pub/restaurant to succeed but I'm afraid they will have to improve food wise to entice me back for yet another visit.
I can't comment on the beer menu or quality of beer as I am not a beer drinker. I had fish and chips, the fish was tough the homemade chips ok. My partner had steak which was also overlooked and tasteless.
We shared an apple tart and custard which was delicious. The prices are okay but I would rather pay more for a decent meal.
This was our second trip to the Green Dragon, I don't feel inclined to revisit for food anyway.
I agree with previous reviewers about the atmosphere.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Marianne M

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A nice warm welcome”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very pleasant manager who is keen to do well and knows how to keep the place warm. Beer is kept well. We tried the fish which came with hand cut chips, it was slightly overcooked but overall a very good meal. We will return.

• Visited December 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A great comeback”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I frequent the Green Dragon weekly and in the past fortnight, have eaten from the new menu (and new chef!) twice. We had the Pie of the Day and it was delicious. This week we stumbled across the Steak Night and it was a magnificent follow up to our previous dining experience.
We know this village pub has suffered its ups and downs over the last 2 years but it is well worth a visit now. Patrick has created a warm and welcoming atmosphere at the front of house, especially with those open fires going. And the new chef, Amy, is producing consistently delicious food.
It's the little features and attention to details that I think have really made the difference. Good to see the pub getting busier and looking forward to trying the Christmas menu this week!

• Visited November 2013
Buckinghamshire
“So pleased.....!!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Wednesday 27th November - visited for a meal for the first time with the new management and so pleased to be able to give a 5* review. Friendly welcome, lovely blazing fire and cosy warmth throughout, attentive service, great food. Well done to General Manager Patrick and his team - waitress Anna and chef Amy! Sunday lunch sounds delicious so am looking forward to visiting for this plus more meals and coffee mornings. Also nice to hear that they have resumed their 'Mature Persons' lunches on Tuesdays and weekly quiz nights. Looks like we have the pub we've been waiting for!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank step4d
Oxford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Splendid coffee and cake!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Was excited to hear of coffee morning openings! Our postnatal group have begun meeting here occasionally and I have found it to be an excellent venue for much needed caffeine and cake! Lovely new décor-loving the tartan, felt very cosy with lit fire also (fire guard for any roaming children). Plenty of space for our gaggle of pushchairs and staff very welcoming and friendly-was raining on my arrival, they saw me coming and opened the door for me. Coffee lovely and strong and great choice of cake. Will be recommending it to other mummies who would usually never think of entering a pub accompanied by their kids.
Will be trying out a dinner also at some point as know would be manageable with my 6 month old. Looking forward to it!

Visited November 2013