“Lunchtime visit”

Cuisines: Central European, British, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stopped off here with my mother en route for Somerset last week. We had stopped here for lunch in the past and enjoyed it but were very disappointed on this occasion. The restaurant smelt of stale cooking and the food was mediocre and expensive. Staff were lackadasical and the place had a rather grubby look as if people did not care. We would not bother going there again. My sea bass was uninspiring and my husband and mother had trouble eating the tough and tastless slow cooked beef. The panacotta came adorned by the usual red smears on the plate but would have benefitted from some fresh fruit with it. The coffee machine was not working. Someone needs to take the place by the scruff of the neck and shake it up. It is not worthy of the lovely village it is in. There are plenty of local people who would patronise it if it offered better value for money.

3  Thank ca922

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Don't take notice of the old reviews! There are new owners here now and this pub is delightful. The owner is very pleasant and made us both, visitors to the area, feel very welcome. We had a nice chat with him. They serve reasonably priced lovely looking food (we didn't eat here but it looked lovely as it passed by) and good priced beer with a good selection of real ale. And they sold my favourite proper diet coke in a bottle not just that nasty horrible cordial drink on the hand pump. Well worth a visit. Very pretty pub with hanging baskets galore!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had dinner at the new Green Dragon. The interior has improved with more seating and doesn't seem as empty as before. There was a nice touch of fresh flowers on each table. I had portobello mushroom stuffed with rice served on spaghetti with vegetables. It was quite pleasant but not earth shattering. The side order of chips was good though, real potatoes twice cooked. Makes a change from the ubiquitous frozen fries.
Staff were friendly. Ambiance could be improved with a few candles instead of the bright lights. Would go back.

1  Thank Marianne M
Reviewed 5 April 2014

You can see from my previous review of this pub that I love the place. I was told by the managers a few weeks ago that they were closing and my heart sank but they then said they were taking over as landlords and reopening a week later.

The new look of the pub is similar enough to not make you feel like you're in the wrong place, but the new layout is a vast improvement, with more seating for diners at the front and a cozy snug at the back.

I've been for dinner three times since the new team took over and the new chef arrived. The food is now exceptionally good with beautiful presentation and the kind of sauces on each dish that make you want to go back for more. There are also new ales on the pumps (I've discovered another new one I really like).

I'm so pleased the new landlords took over The Green Dragon. If you want a warm welcome, friendly staff, good food and a huge selection of drinks, this is the pub to try.

1  Thank RebeccaEmin
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Table for 8...We ordered our starters and Main course at 3pm starters consisted of soup and pate, it took 45 minutes to arrive we were told that we were next as the table next to us had just finished, Seems that they are unable to cope with multiple bookings. The main course was beef and Yorkshire pudding, presentation was good but the beef tasted old, it may well of been aged on purpose but it was far gone past its best. didn't hang around for dessert as 2.5hours had past and it was getting dark!

Its a real shame that the new owners haven't taken this opportunity by the horns as Haddenham is screaming out for a nice pub / restaurant. Maybe one will emerge soon.

1  Thank Trripman1