Huntingdon House
US$236
US$130
US$50
TripAdvisor
All reviewstea and coffeetea estatesconeschocolate cakepicnic spotenjoyed our stayunique experiencemueslimanicured gardensstayed nightseach eveningeggs benedictfantastic foodbird lifeguided walkheaven on earthold world charm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our first two nights in Malawi, after our long flights from NYC, were spent at the gorgeous and gracious Huntingdon House where the rooms are spectacular, the food is superb, and the setting is peaceful. My husband and I stayed in what had been built as a chapel. The room is enormous, with soaring ceilings and double doors out to lovely gardens. Our son and his wife had a somewhat smaller but no less elegant room off the main hallway. Meals were generous, excellently prepared, and beautifully served. Staff and management were warm and attentive. A one-hour walking tour of the grounds turned into something closer to three hours—the tea estate workers were welcoming and anxious to show us what they did. As a thank you, we printed some of their photos on our instant travel printer for them. (The electricity goes down from time to time—it's Malawi!) I would have loved to have had another couple of days to unwind in this gorgeous setting!

Room Tip: For a real colonial experience, request the Chapel Room! (Be prepared that the bathroom is up a few steps from the bedroom.)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sweetwood1075
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After spending 3 days hiking on Mulanje mountains, this hotel felt like heaven. Stepping inside the hotel feels like passing into an old Tuscan farmhouse.

The Father's room we stayed in was huge and the bed super comfortable. The verandah leads out to magnificent gardens and is surrounded by rolling tea fields with nice walks.

The hotel is located at the Satemwa Tea Estate and it is possible to do a tea tasting tour. We were there during the weekend and unfortunately the tour was already booked out from day visitors to the Estate, so make sure that you book the tour before your arrival.

Dinner was served in an elegant dining room with a roaring fireplace. Breakfast was a little disappointing. We arrived at around 8 am and several other guests were already there. The cereals and fruit platter were already empty and after requesting more, we only were given some cornflakes. When we ordered eggs we were served only one per person, since they were running out of eggs on that day.

All in all it was a great stay, although service at the restaurant could be improved

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was surprised at just how much of the original structure exists both inside and out. The grounds are simply stunning and the whole place like a time warp from former colonial days. The chocolate cake was so good that even I enjoyed it and I never but never enjoy chocolate desserts. Gluten free cupcakes and other menu items were prepared without fuss and presented in common with everything else with finesse. For a relaxing break away from distractions I can think of no where better in this stretch of Malawi. Thank you Chris for your attentiveness and that of all the other staff.

Room Tip: If staying and you don't have to, I would recommend either Chapel or Fathers Rooms. That said, each has their own distinct appeal to me.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I went to Huntingdon House for two days with my boyfriend in April, and it was absolutely and truly a lovely stay.

Before we arrived, I was communicating with the management staff over email a lot. They very always very swift in their response, and really made me look forward to the stay.

The staff were very welcoming when we arrived, showed us around the house and told us a bit about the history of the house. The staff was always very helpful and polite throughout our stay, and also gave us just the right amount of privacy.

We stayed in the Chapel, and I can absolutely recommend it. It is a huge room, very tastefully furnished, very private, and absolutely stunning.

We also had some time to explore the surrounding tea estate, and I can really recommend walking up to the "picnic spot". The view was amazing, and the walk itself was very nice.
Otherwise, the food we got served at Huntingdon was very nice. Everything we ate was tasty, and the house is the perfect surroundings for a dinner. They lit the fireplace for us during dinner, and it was all just perfect.

I would recommend anyone a stay at Huntingdon House.

Room Tip: The Chapel is amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After safari in South Africa we traveled to Malawi. The Huntingdon House was lovely. Great food, superb setting and grounds, beautiful gardens, gracious hosts. Highly recommend. The ONLY criticism is that it included a tour of the surrounding tea plantation. The "tour" was watching an in-house video at the factory whereas I had hoped for a real tour and more immersive experience. But it DID include a tea tasting, which was very informative. Overall experience, thumbs up and would go there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple