“More highs than lows”

Days Inn - Ste. Helene-de-Bagot
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel was easy to locate and access from the Trans-Canada. There are some familiar food/coffee places located very close to the hotel. We were given a room on the 3rd floor. It was nice to have an elevator available. We found the receptionists to be very patient and helpful. There was some confusion about our bill, (the rewards points we used to book this hotel did not show up on their print out), but they were patient, and things got sorted out before our check-out. The room was relatively clean. There were small issues, for example, a stain on one of the pillow cases and a stain on a lamp shade. Luckily, there was an extra pillow, with a clean pillowcase, in the wardrobe. The A/C was noisy, especially since the bed was located right beside it. The breakfast was adequate for our needs.The bed was very firm.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather L

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I chose this motel because of its excellent location near the highway. There was ample parking and several fast food restaurants nearby which also influenced my decision a bit.
At the check in window I met a frosty receptionist who never smiled or acted friendly once during my check in. When I questioned her about the illegible wi-fi code she had scrawled out she rolled her eyes and stated something to the effect that everyone else understands it so I should too.
Being unsatisfied with her reply I asked her to please recopy it.
The room was clean and fresh and everything worked. The bed was comfortable and breakfast the next morning was good for a motel in this price range.
I will definitely stay at this place again, but hope to get a different receptionist.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Outdated, and there was a dead water bug on the bed headboard. Otherwise it looked clean enough, although everything was old. There is a bar in the lobby and at night the receptionist is the bartender so you may have to wait a little. It was a one night en route to Rimouski for a few hours, which was fine for the price but otherwise it may be worth paying 10-20$ more for a better hotel

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our stay at this venue came at the end of a one week swing through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and back home to London. Our stay at this Days Inn left us with a bad taste in our mouths. The room was dirty and dark (poorly lit), the toilet not stable and rocked precariously. The samples of shampoo were previously used (half full). Towels were not adequately washed. The desk clerk attendant spoke impeccable English until we registered our concerns about the shape of our room and then she responded with "No English!!" The continental breakfast consisted of two stale pastries, cold coffee and two warm juice boxes. WE WERE NOT IMPRESSED and glad to get back in good old London.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The good stuff: spacious, nicely appointed rooms. Reasonably comfortable bed. McDonalds next door for convenience and if you want more than a continental breakfast. A little cheaper than similar motels in Drummondville. Far enough back from the highway to eliminate most noise.

The not so good stuff:
- cow manure smell is everywhere outside. I had not been to this hotel in a decade. The smell hasn't apparently disappeared in ten years. It must be horrible in summer.
- probably due to smoking being something of an Olympic sport in Quebec, cigarette smell permeates the "non smoking" 2nd floor hallway from the third floor due to the doors to that floor being kept open, but gladly is not in the rooms.
- extremely limited TV selection, straight out of 1980. Not even CNN. Apparently, satellite dishes are unknown in this part of Canada.

The terrible: The ABSOLUTE WORST wireless Internet I have encountered in years, When it works (rarely) it is reasonably fast for downloading and browsing, but using Skype for phone calls is not possible due to the very slow upload speed. However, I could not get my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 to connect at all, and I'm very knowledgable about such networks. My Mac worked, but lost connectivity every so often which forced me to turn off wireless and reconnect or reauthorize via the browser. Sometimes it took 5 or 6 tries to get it working.

My Samsung Android phone had the same problem; however, the web page for signing in is certainly not mobile ready as the web font type is extremely small. It was a chore to get that working initially. Eventually, it would quit and I would have to have my phone "forget" the network and then set it up again. Obviously, the motel's Internet provider is a joke. There's no reason for not just turning off this gatekeeper system that simply doesn't work as there is no other business next to the hotel that could leech an open signal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DavidStarsky
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed there last night after driving from Ottawa non-stop. To start with, they have to lit up signs saying where they are once you pull off the highway. Thanks to my GPS, it directed me to where it would be. When facing the building while in our car, you barely see the words Reception as they are nothing but big red block letter hanging on the building. At night, you can not see them due to a blinding light on the side of the building.

Staff is very pleasant. That is the good part. The bad part is this: Although the rooms are supposed to be SMOKE free, they do smell like smoker have been dismissing the rule and the hotel uses the latest Febreeze to get rid of the smell. It still smells, no matter what.

Our counter in the bathroom looked like someone had kinky ideas and did the thing a couple does when they feel amorous. I will spare you the details as I am sure you get what I'm trying to say. Needless to say, the counter has had some action cause it was barely holding on the wall.

The carpets are very dirty so I suggest you walk with your shoes at all times. Ours had cigarette burns right beside the bed.

The bedsheets were very clean but the towels might need to be replenished with newer ones. Ours showed their age.

Continental breakfast is not the best. Cereal, croissants, juice, coffee and miniature muffins pretty much sums it up. If there were any fruits, I didn't see them.

Last but not least, the halls are very narrow. There was a couple (horrible ones with a screaming kid) that spent the night banging doors and letting their kid rule and scream as much as he pleased. I know it isn't the hotels fault but the soundproof doesn't seem to work there. That is where the blame is directed. I have seen better soundproofing doors in my travels.

Room Tip: If you get a room there, try to ask for one that faces the front of the hotel as the back is facing...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We booked a room for one night at the Days Inn for our visit to the Maritimes, It is fairly close located to the highway, but I did not notice any negative effects from it. The hotel has two floors, with reception and bar at ground floor and on the top floor a pop dispenser and ice machine. Our room had two queen beds, an air-conditioning unit in the wall, a desk and the normal amenities of a hotel in this class.

The hotel has a large nearby parking so loading in and out luggage is easy. There is a roomy elevator and stairs to the top floor.

Breakfast is served in the morning, but is a fairly basic buffet of prepackaged foods and toast, in plastic cutlery and plates.

There is wifi and nearby fast-food options, so perfect if you are stopping over, but I would assume nobody would stay more than a day in this hotel unless it is for nearby business.

In the end, it all works and I would not mind visiting again, but I accept the level of service because of the budget we spent on this room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Helene-de-Bagot
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Saint-Hyacinthe
Hotel & Suites Le Dauphin Drummondville
Motel Blanchet
Motel Blanchet
#7 of 7 in Drummondville

Been to Days Inn - Ste. Helene-de-Bagot? Share your experiences!