“Fantastic Residence and Friendly Owners”
Review of The Dove Inn

The Dove Inn
The Dove Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micheldever B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We had 3 rooms on a Saturday night as a result of a wedding reception at the Test Valley GC.
Brilliant B&B. Were able to get into the room early so as to change for the wedding.
Rooms spotless and clean and warm. Bed was comfy and warm too.
The owners were exceptionally friendly.
The breakfast in the morning was awesome.
All well worth it and good price.
Certainly the closest venue to the Test Valley GC.
Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank K-Man62

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We poped in for a light lunch and found the the pizza was only half cooked and nearly cold, My girl friend found her risotto just warm and a very sharp lemon taste. we waited what seemed ages for the food to arrive. The glasses were filthy, and the general look of the place was GRUBBY. ( even the waiter was GRUBBY). This is one pub we will give a miss next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here for two night 29th-30th December arrived after dark, shown through almost empty bar etc which was also very dark , and up a flight of stairs to our room, again rather gloomy. The room was warm but the large bathroom had no heating at all and was cold!! The duvet was very thin and only just wide enough for the double bed. We had one hard lumpy pillow each. The flat screen TV was too small for the room.
In it's favour the Full English was superb and freshly cooked when we came down. All in all we thought the place was 'sad' and in need of TLC.
Outside needed a good tidy up too. I am surprised it has an AA 4 star rating!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ceril h
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I have stayed at The Dove Inn on numerous occasions, mainly for overnight stays on business, and I thought it was about time I wrote a review. This is by far the best B&B in Hampshire by a mile (and I have stayed at many hotels in the area). To start with the food is unbelievably good, fresh local produce and chef wizardry in the kitchen produces an outstanding menu. The rooms are well appointed and have a few nice luxury touches, including in room Wi-Fi access. The beds are very comfortable and I always get great night’s sleep. The atmosphere at the bar is great fun too; the locals are always a pleasure to have a chat with, over a beer or two. There has recently been a change to the management and I believe this has further enhanced the overall experience! I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone, either the business traveller or anyone who is visiting the beautiful Hampshire countryside on hols!

Room Tip: Rooms 4 & 5 are the best in my option.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevsky001
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This establishment is apparently under new management. I was told by my companion that it was a far more congenial place when she visited a few months ago.

The decor was dark and not very well lit. None of the fires were laid and the dining area and bar felt chilly....certainly not warm.

The food was OK, but not special. My venison burger was pleasant but the chips were huge chunks of potato and I would guess oven baked, they were not crispy or tasty. My friend's pastry case for her butternut squash and cheese tart was so hard, it was inedible.

We ordered coffee, which was truly terrible, it tasted weak and watery - when we explained that it was undrinkable we were told "it's the machine".....my friend ordered an espresso which was better and I opted for a cup of tea instead.

I certainly would not visit the restaurant here again. It lacked atmosphere and the food was adequate but not tasty or delicious. Such a shame as it has the potential to be good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Juridique
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We had avery nice Saturday lunch, the service was very good, food was great and reasonably priced, very handy for the station as its just across the road. Good ale for my husband and a nice selection of food

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hanaxx
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The Dove sits close to Micheldever Station, rather than in the village which is a little way further down the road. This is a quiet country pub and restaurant as well as a B&B. The ambience is good, although often quite quiet. We called in on a whim, we have eaten here a number of times in the past, it wasn't busy. They offered a £16 menu for a starter and a main, from which we ate, along with a couple of beers the total bill was less than £20 a head.

Food was attractively presented and quickly served, which suited as we had a deadline.
I had the mackrel pate, smooth and tasty, followed by a venison burger with blue cheese and rustic chips. The burger was cooked to perfection, the chips were crisp, thick and stacked Jenga style.
My wife had breaded garlic mushrooms, followed by slow roast belly of pork with veg and roast potatoes. The crackling was crisp, but not dry. A nice touch, the meal came with a roast apple rather than apple sauce.

The only reason I have not given a 5 is the room was a bit chilled. If I could have given a 4.5 I would have.

If you live around North Hampshire, check out this lost gem. Now under new management (since the summer of 2012).

Note: I didn't understand why I couldn't see the Dove under restaurants, as this is one of our favourite places to eat around North Hampshire. Perhaps this is something Trip advisor should address, when an establishment is both a hotel and a good restaurant it should perhaps be listed twice. So this review is for the restaurant, not the hotel where I have (sadly) yet to stay.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed here, just returned to eat the lovely food.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon F

Been to The Dove Inn? Share your experiences!