Puri Wulandari Boutique Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Alila Ubud(Payangan)
Villa Saraswati(Ubud)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoutdoor showerinfinity poolthe riverlarge sunken bathbedroom villabuggy servicedining tablerice fieldscomplete relaxationbeautiful jungleour honeymoonubud town centreamazing viewsfree shuttlepure luxuryrestaurant staffking size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2011

While my wife and I were keenly looking forward to Bali; the stay at Wulandari made our visit memorable. We made a conscious decision to stay away from the crowded beach area ( Nusa Dua); as we needed some R&R and pampering.

And, boy, did we get some R&R! We stayed in villa 109 (which, I believe, is perched a little higher among other villas), which offered a great view of tropical mountains. The villa is decorated beautifully, maintaining an earthy undertone with a spacious bedroom & bathroom, (a sunken bath with flower petals et all ). Their The plunge pool was just perfect; sipping some wine/beer in the pool while watching the sunset was an amazing experience. We were in Wulandari for 6 nights, and by the 3rd day or so, we were so relaxed that we literally forgot the day/date ! Their open Spa is also fantastic, with nature providing all the relaxing sounds you need during your massage. The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times, although i got the feeling that they were not too happy if you chose not to go with their recommended choice of service providers for various activities.

The restaurant and the food quality is also very good.

All in all, a fabulous experience; and highly recommended to those who want to relax and unwind.

And finally, the icing on the cake was our cab driver, who doubled up as a tour guide. A very friendly chap, who took us to all the right places and did it with integrity. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post his details on this website; pls email me if you would like his details.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms between 100 to 115, as they offer a wonderful view
2  Thank satish_rags
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This is an excellant place to stay with kids. The private pool was perfect. Price point was good too. It is not in town. It is a 10 to 15 minute drive into town, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone in the hotel was gracious and helpful. Our kids are 6 and 8, and they loved the food at the restaurant. The spa was quite nice as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank sandi s
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Wonderful service, all staff smiling and friendly.
The resort is built into the side of the steep valley of the Ayung River. Movement around the resort is by buggy readily laid on by dialling the butler service.
The villas are spacious with almost total privacy. The beds and bedding are top quality. Each villa has its own infinity plunge pool, unheated except by the sun so can be a little chilly. Magnificant views of the valley are had from most villas, especially those higher up the valley side. Mountains also visible on clear days. A resort for those in search of peace and tranquility.

2  Thank blackburn273
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed at the Puri Wulandari and found it quite remarkable. The standard of service was a surprise since many 5 star hotels do not quite live up to it. My villa was magnificient and the quality of the food just added to the overall experience. On the whole, if it weren't for the fact that the hotel staff asked me to write a review for them, I would have kept this little gem a secret from as many people as possible to ensure that it remains my hide-away at a reasonable price. I would like to encourage the Puri Wulandari though to maintain its grounds and villas (10 were under repair) better, restore the gym (customers do need to work out & should be encouraged to) and upgrade the villas to include in the villas a hot water kettle, tea & coffee (they gave delectable cakes & cookies every nite!) and provide a power supply for those of us who need to work at the dining table in the villa. They provided a candle-light dinner at the villa as part of the package which would have also been incredible if the staff had also prepared the sunken bath for a romantic soak after dinner. I am definitely going back to, what I am sure, will be a magnificient second experience.

Room Tip: Inform the staff what you need before you book and they'll select the best villa to meet your needs. They gave me a quite villa to work.
2  Thank jns62
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This place has most of the right elements - beautiful pool villas with loads of Balinese flavour, an amazing setting, etc. The food is mediocre at best and very very stodgy - book a restaurant and ask the hotel to provide transport. the wine is also mediocre at best, and not up to the standard of the rest of the resort. Service can be good but it can be bad too - the staff is smiling and friendly, but when I tried to book the spa I was five minutes on the phone speaking clearly and slowly before giving up in frustration - the ladies simply did not understand that I was trying to book a massage. There were two of them each trying to understand me and they went through every permutation of misinterpreting that I was asking for prices, times, how long the massage lasted, etc. Also, the butler was sometimes pressuring us to do things like going on tours and wanted confirmation of arrangements even when we said we needed time to think, and eventually we realised he was probably getting a commission for booking these things. Further, when we did go out with the resort drivers they seemed not to want to take us where we wanted to go but instead to the businesses of their friends, which were not very interesting and really were tourist traps with high pressure selling going on. I can't help but contrast this with the Aman resorts, where we always felt taken care of. Absolutely we paid up for the impeccable service, but in exchange we always felt like WE were the customer, and that we were being guided truly to the best and the most wonderful experiences, and not simply being shaken down. It really makes the difference between having a marvellous, idyllic holiday and leaving with a bad taste. SO, to improve, the Puri Wulandari should weed out a few mercenaries on their staff, get a proper receptionist in the spa to answer the phone, get a good chef, and rededicate themselves to giving their clientele the best possible experience. Their facilities and setting are among the very best - but they let themselves down.

How to get the best out of Puri Wulandari: Don't eat there. Enjoy a cocktail in the bar as the sun goes down, then hightail it to a proper restaurant - maybe Mosaic. Don't leave the planning to them. Research very carefully exactly what you want to do and where you want to go, then ask them to provide a driver to take you to these exact places, and don't allow them to deviate. Go to the spa in person to book your treatments. Tipping is not mandatory but 10,000 rupiah for a small service and 50,000 rupiah for a half day of driving or even a full day, depending on the quality, is a rough guide. It is entirely optional but appreciated. With all this in mind you will probably successfully avoid the pitfalls of this place and will come away happy. We recommend the white water rafting, the cooking classes and the cycle tours, although a friend remarked that she wasn't interested in learning how to make nasi goreng, which is fair enough I suppose. All in all this might have been a four or even five dot review - too bad about the negatives.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple