“Another Amazing Aman Experience”
Review of Amandari

Amandari
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kedewatan
NY
“Another Amazing Aman Experience”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We spend 3 nights at Amandari, and what a tranquil paradise. The setting is magical, overlooking nothing but greenery, beautifully manicured but yet natural looking landscape inside the hotel compound. We had a pool villa, extremely spacious, very good size pool for a hotel room. The sleeping quarters were upstairs what they called the tree house, complete with a toilet, so one doesn't have to run up and down the stairs.
The staff had been amazing, extremely attentive yet not in your face. They mastered the art of discreet service. We went to have breakfast, and come back the room was completely done. The meals at the restaurant were good. don't expect gourmet as that's not what Aman resorts are for. they are just good home cooking using local ingredients.
When in Amandari, you must go to Ubub, a great village that has plenty of local arts, shops, and charming stores aplenty.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Switzerland
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

One of the nicest places / Hotel I've ever been to. This place is so soulful and the staff and Management are great. Food is excellent and just everything was perfect.
We will return. This Hotel is something very special. The pool is a dream!
The silences here has something mystic.
There is a temple in the hotel, or actually the hotel is a temple of beauty and silence.
Breakfast was a la cart and was also very good.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Pat1970512
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2014

It was so addicting that we went back 3 times within a few months - July, August, and October.

All 3 visits were part of the 6 night "Aman Bali Experience". Each stay was just a short but memorable 3 nights.

I would say that Aman never fails to deliver. Most of what's been said in the previous reviews are accurate so I'd spare the repeating details. But I hope I may add some additional insights and share my experiences based on my 3 combined visits.

If you want to have an authentic experience about Bali in just a few days, stay at the Amandari! The programs they offered and excursions provided allow you to get a real sense of how Balinese people live. Case in point:
1) No other hotels would dress you up appropriately (headpiece, sarong, and dark-colored shirt) for ceremonies and provided you with a private guide that escort you throughout and explained everything to you.
2) No hotel staff would offer you a visit to their village's important ceremony and allow you to participate in the offering ceremony.
3) No other hotels would take you to a local Balinese Costume master, or to a local Balinese offering shop which you can buy things the local Balinese actually use
4) No other hotels will offer you a car on demand to go anywhere to the Ubud town (Free of charge) anytime you want, and try assign the same driver throughout your stay.
5) Most importantly, everyone from Amandari is genuinely sincere and heart-warming. It's the people who works at Amandari that keeps drawing you back. You can never meet a group of people as genuine and warm-hearted as they are. They made you feel at home.

Granted, these may not be top luxury items among many people's list. But what sets Amandari apart is their ability to let you blend into the local life and let you see a side that's not just "buying handcrafts and sarongs from the Ubud Market", yet keeping everything above the standard of luxury. Have you been to a luxury hotel chain in which they proactively get things done for you before you even asked for it?

One thing I would like to add is, Amandari's unobstructed panoramic mountain and valley view may be compromised by the soon to open Ritz Carlton Ubud. Gone will be the forever green and lush landscape and natural scenery. Future Amandari guests may want to avoid booking the villas with single digits as they look directly into the construction site / roofs of Ritz Carlton's villas. Granted they're still a considerable amount of distance from Amandari site, but as a precaution.

Also, to make things fair, prior to staying at Amandari, I stayed at FS Sayan in June for 5 nights. We had a 2 bedroom villa that cost more or less the same as Amandari's pool villa. All I can say is, it was spacious, but that's about it. In FS Sayan, courtesy car was difficult to book (Only available every 30 min for a few hours), concierge couldn't suggest anything more than buying things around Ubud market (generic product). All in all, FS Sayan was a luxury experience, but definitely not an authentic Balinese one. I will also post pictures and review for FS Sayan

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jackson T
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Were on a 6 week Seabourn cruise with an overnight in Bali. Thought we had been totally spoiled by Seabourn but this Aman resort even surpassed that. Enormous room with total privacy and every amenity you can imagine .Unbelievable massage - infinity pool, wonderful dinner and breakfast, and an incredible 6:30 am trek through the rice paddies not to be missed. But most of all, a joyful, smiling staff that simply doesn't have the word "no" in their vocabulary. Run..do not walk.. it is expensive and worth every penny

Room Tip: They are all good..some have pools, some have outdoor bathtubs
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liketotravel30
Washington DC
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband took me here to celebrate my 40th birthday. Traveled with our 6 month old son from the United States, and could not have had a better experience. From the facilities to the food to the SUPERIOR staff, we were overwhelmed. We were upgraded to a beautiful room (surpassed every room we've ever stayed at, and that's saying a lot - from our honeymoon in Africa to many beautiful places along the way.) The thing that set this place apart, though, was undoubtedly the service. They anticipated our every need, almost before we even said anything. The way the Balinese people feel about children is extraordinary. They were so welcoming and kind to us with our son, and when we left we got a send off like the kind we only get from family. Such warmth & kindness!! All the staff stood at the entrance waving to us until we couldn't see each other anymore. During dinners, if our son got the least bit fussy, someone from the staff would come and pick him up and hold him, swoop him away so we could enjoy the rest of our meal in peace. The entertainment was first class. I also love how the resort is committed to the community & the culture, and gives back in numerous ways. Another perk: We were provided some hours of complimentary babysitting, so my husband and I could get (the world's best!) massages together. Oddly, I never thought twice about leaving our baby in their care - I could tell they were going to take the best care of him. I don't know how to describe it, but it was an amazing experience. Can't wait to return & also want to visit other Aman properties now. Enjoyed visiting with the very kind GM and heard about Aman junkies - I want to be one. This place set the service bar so high I'm not sure it will ever be reached again. Go if you can. UBUD is incredible, and likely won't be this way forever. The guided trek with breakfast picnic was FABULOUS! Enjoy this super special place - I know we did & I can't imagine a better way to celebrate my 40th birthday. If this is what the 40s have in store, bring it on!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KLBWashingtonDC
Auckland
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and were absolutely enchanted by the place. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a beautiful pool suite as well. There was nothing we didn't like about this hotel. Great service and and understated elegance that was hard to describe. Weather cycling/tracking through the rice fields and country side or having a full blessing with a local priest in the attached temple, everything was top notch. My wife and I are both vegan and we were catered for superbly. My only complaint was that I couldn't stay longer.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stu62Auckland
new york
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We just left Amandari a few hours ago and are now at The Four Seasons Jimbarayan Bay. The Four Seasons is beautiful. However, the staff pales in comparison to Amandari. From the moment we entered the hotel, to the minute we left, the entire Amandari family was lovely and attentive. This was our first Aman hotel, and certainly not our last. While the hotel may be older and not new and sleek/modern, it is a place filled with charm and hospitality. Each and every person that works there cared about us and it is apparent they enjoy/love their job. The food at Amandari was delicious - the pool magnificent - and the grounds are beautiful. We wish we had stayed there for our entire holiday. When we left Amandari it felt the same as leaving your family after a wonderful time together - we really did not want to leave.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lisa g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kedewatan
No photo provided
Komaneka at Bisma
#16 of 196 in Ubud
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan

Been to Amandari? Share your experiences!