Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Villa Saraswati(Ubud)
1,654 results
All reviewsayung river pool villabirds nestour honeymoonduplex villatwilight dinnerprivate poolriver frontla view restaurantbutler servicepersonal butlergolf cartevery hourspent nightsafternoon teariceamazing experiencean amazing view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Well 25 years later a revisit to our favourite destination in Ubud – Kupa Kupa Barong named after a large butterfly - a grand old lady by Bali standards originally conceived by an Australian architect for an Australian client with a design brief ‘make it blend into the landscape’ and this property does this so well even today – Go to the website the pictures do not lie, some of the best valley views in Bali over the Agung river looking over virgin bush left untouched by negotiations with the local land owners who have been paid by the hotel owners in the area to leave it as is .
The villas are currently owned by French investors who have introduced L' Occitane Spa which met the pampering standards required by my better half.
The original restaurant has been extended with a second lower level seating area both spaces interact well and encompass those breath taking views – Breakfast was delivered by an old friend Ibu Sritami one of the longest serving staff members still graceful as ever always concerned that your meal is perfect always charming remembering your name and special needs on your repeat visit.
We had a chance to stay in two villas – Villa 21 a double story villa with a circular staircase sadly this one needs updating – vintage TV old tiles in the bathroom and the split section is a little inconvient
The plunge pool and outdoor area works the views are restricted from both levels
We moved the following day to Villa 1 – nicknamed the “Bill Cosby villa’ as it was home to the star on his visit to Bali – The huge canopy bed is at the view end of the suite which is impressively large with an open bathroom at one end featuring a circular freestanding bath and a beautifully rustic vanity and twin basins with large wall mounted mirror that reflects the view and increases the visual space of the room - you also have a large shower and private WC.
This room has been upgraded with Plazma TV mini bar furniture twin air conditioners on either side of the bed – the outdoor area is large and has a Bali bale thatched roof pergola with lounger cushions built for two – the view is outstanding the Villa is located near the Spa and the reception also the restaurant very quite I assume Villa 2 was similar and Villa 3 had a huge kidney spaced pool in a large garden area
I asked our Butler what was considered the best Villas and in typical Kupa fashion he arranged to show them to us – Villa 34 and Villa 36 located down the bottom a short Golf Buggy ride to the front of the complex touch distance from the river and with fantastic corner window views – You have to book the Agung club suites to get to these The Director Sales and Marketing is a Gorgeous young lady softly spoken elegant and very good at her job I assumed from are conversation that she had been with Kupa Kupa Barong from the Start but she still looks very young Ibu Darmiyati
There lots of flash properties in Ubud these days many well known brands - But I do not think you will find a better package than this-In particular the outstanding staff from the village of Sayan the best views and a resort that is intimate enough to get to know you and deliver world’s best practice service - We highly recommend this place and cannot wait to go back

Room Tip: Best Rooms Villa 34 and 36 Villa 1/2/3
1  Thank wanderingspoon
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Visited on May, 2012 - excellent experience, including hospitable services and people!

Room Tip: Choose with a pool
Reviewed 10 May 2012

visited February 2012 on a honeymoon. we had room 28 which was amazing. Unfortunately we had a tick tack animal in the room (looks like a small lizard). it was great that the hotel changed our room to villa 26 which was safe from tick tack. it is a very different experience in the jungle.

Room Tip: choose villa 26
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mohamed A
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I were looking forward to this spa retreat which we purchased from a travel fair. During this fair, the representative of Kupu kupu Barong was there and committed to the free two times 60 minutes spa for both of us and a romantic dinner.

Prior to our trip, we arranged everything with the local agent (who is collaborating with the hotel) on our schedule. We requested for the dinner on first night and spa on the second day. On top of that, we asked for confirmation if the 2 times 60 minutes spa can be combined to 1 time 120 minutes spa (on top of the mango tree, overseeing the Ayung river) and were told that everything is possible and has been confirmed.

Upon our arrival, we only asked the buttler to send our luggage to the room as we would like to go out directly to Ubud town. We managed to arrange for the 120-mins spa on the 3rd day at 9.00am because the spa was fully booked. We were confused (as of why our spa were not booked as requested) but accepting the changes. In the evening when we came back, we were told that the buggy (which is used to transfer the guests to their villa which is at the bottom of the cliff) was malfunction. And such, we had to take a stroll downhill with the buttler. The road was quite slippery, especially at night.

On the next day, we had to climb back to the top for our breakfast. Going up is definitely harder than going down. After our trip back from water rafting, we were again told that buggy was still malfunction. (We expected a quicker repair service from a 5-star hotel). Anyway, we had to take the painful stroll up and down the hill. To make the things worse, we saw one buggy sending a Japanese couple to their room. At that moment, it gave us the image that we were treated differently from the Japanese. It was unfair to discriminate Malaysian from Japanese or other nationalities just because we are neighbour countries. I believed we paid the same amount of money per night of stay in this hotel. To be discriminated is definitely the last thing we wanted to experience in our "dream retreat". We did confronted the front-desk and they took a long time to give us an explaination. We were told that the buggy was only able to serve the villas on top of the hill and not the one at the bottom of the hill (by the way, villa at the bottom is more expensive). We would have appreciated a better explaination the first time around (on the first day) when we were told that all buggy were malfunction. An honest explaination would have saved us the agony of being discriminated.

And on the third day, we were excited to experience our first L'ocitane spa. Everything was great until we were guided to the spa room. It was an indoor spa and not the promised tree spa. There were a lot of confusion and they could not arrange us on the tree-top spa. They even told us that tree-spa is the name of their spa. I was very disappointed at how words were twisted just to confuse us. The lady (Yanni) who came to Malaysia during the travel fair (and promised the tree-spa) came to meet us. She was not even apologic of the whole incident but started to blame the tour agency in Malaysia and everyone in the loop. She even blamed us for not contacting and arranging with the hotel for our spa. I believed we do not have to go through all this trouble, since the hotel has the collaboration with the tour agency in Malaysia. Why should I engaged a tour agency and still have to contact the hotel AND the agency for every single arrangement? Shouldnt it be enough just to arrange with the tour agency? I was confused and even angrier listening to all the blaming drama. And next, she told us that tree-spa does not cater for spa... but only massage.. Again, spa that does not do spa but only massage. Should the tree-spa be called tree-massage? Then, she blamed us for combining our 2 times 60 mins spa to 1 time 120 mins spa as a reason of why they did not put us on the tree spa. Throughou the whole 45 mins there, not only we did not get our spa, we were blamed in different ways.. just to say that it was all our own fault for not getting our 120mins tree spa. And by the way, we could not choose the spa we wanted. It was very specific spa, pre-determined by the hotel (apparently due to the fact that it is part of the package). We were so deeply disappointed by how the staff handle situation like this. Customers were blamed to make the hotel look "good". This is by far, the worst experience we had on a spa resort. We even let go of the spa, as we felt cheated and mistreated. Never again would we go back to such a place where you were treated like a third-class citizen. It is not worth risking your "dream vacation/retreat". I would rather pay more for a peace of mind.

It was a shame that up till today (one week after this incident), nobody from the hotel contacted us to apologise or give us a full explaination. I believe it will take a long time before the staff from this hotel reach a professional standard in handling situations. All in all, it's definitely NOT worth the money paid. We went there to de-stress but came back to our beloved country, more stressed than before. What an eventful trip! (I would not even call it a vacation).

Room Tip: Ayung villa is good but make sure that the buggy is functioning. Else it would be a long hike from the room to the lobby/restaurant/spa.
7  Thank tjolynn82
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear Tjolynn82,

I am deeply sorry that your stay in Kupu Kupu Barong didn't meet with your expectations and I thank you for giving us a detailed feedback of your experience.

We pride ourselves in offering top-notch service and any comment showing that we do not deliver on our promise is taken very seriously and followed with actions.

Regarding the buggy services, please trust me that we would never discriminate one guest over another because of nationality. This is the contrary of our philosophy and mentality.

Unfortunately, we had two of our three buggies out of order when you visited and we had to wait a few days for the spare parts to come from Jakarta. During that time, we implemented a minimum buggy service targeting in priority older guests or those with disabilities, or those staying in the furthest villas. I understand your frustration as our property is vast. It was the first time that we had two of our buggies out of order and we will probably order a new one after this incident. We are also planning to open an elevator soon that will make the trip much shorter between the reception and the bottom of the hill.

Regarding the Tree Spa, our Salesperson failed to advise you correctly about our services and also to communicate with your agent to make sure that your expectations could be met. I had a long talk with her and our Sales Director to make sure this does not happen again. Please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience, we will learn from it and if you are willing to give us a second chance, I hope we can earn your trust again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more information. My email is thibaud at kupubarong dot com.

Best regards,

Thibaud

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I was very much looking forward to a peaceful retreat and had paid for a villa by the river and with an outdoor pool. Instead I got a villa on the mountainside and with an indoor plunge pool.. The villa was decorated for Las Vegas and had a musty smell -with little resemblance to the photos on the hotel´s website. The butler was friendly and helpful, though I was greatly disappointed with the restaurant staff. I did receive an email from the hotel´s manager apologizing for their mistakes in the booking, though would have preferred to have gotten the villa I had reserved and received no compensation for the price difference.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank xyi_xyi
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Xyi_xyi,

Thank you for your review of Kupu Kupu Barong.

We are very sorry about your disappointing experience with us and we would be happy to answer you personally.

As your reviewed our hotel in April 2012 but visited it in November 2011, we were not able to find the record of your stay and it is difficult to answer you in details. Please contact me by email thibaud@kupubarong.com to allow me to address all the issues you mentioned. In particular, if you were given a villa different than the one you booked, you should be compensated with the price difference.

Best regards and hoping to hear from you soon,

Thibaud