1,763 results
All reviewsayung river pool villabirds nestduplex villaour honeymoonprivate poolriver frontbutler servicela view restaurantromantic dinnerpersonal butlergolf cartmangoevery hourspent nightsafternoon teawhite water raftingrice
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon before spending one night at The Kayon Resort which was far cheaper yet far superior.
I was so excited to stay at this resort but felt disappointed after leaving. It is a large hotel and has quite a corporate feel to it.
One day we wanted to lounge by the pool but found only about ten sun loungers for over 100 guests so we lay on the concrete floor instead as we had no other choice. Staff saw us and didn't offer to go and find more sun loungers.
The orange juice at breakfast is not fresh which you would expect at a 5* hotel where you pay good money.
We stayed in two different rooms and in both, there were stains on the bedding and mosquito nets. In fact the cheaper pool view room was much nicer than the expensive river view room, so don't bother paying the extra! It is actually very difficult to relax by the pool due to the insect life but that is obviously no fault of the hotel.
Although the staff do try hard there is no personalised touch. I would highly recommend The Kayon Resort in Ubud which is really very special, and far cheaper.

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank kateshilts
KupuKupuResorts, Resort Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear kateshilts,

Thank you for staying with us at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’OCCTIANE.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Kupu Resort and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests

Your feedback is most encouraging and comes much appreciated. I am pleased that our associates took good care of you and delivered friendly, helpful, efficient and attentive service. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests. Especially for our Orange Juice is made in fresh, we use oranges from Kintamani this place is famous with mount Batur scenery and the sweetest village of orange in Bali.

Please do recommend us to family and friends and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you plan your next visit to Ubud, Bali. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via kadek@kupubarong.com, my team and I remain at your service.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Older guests beware, the terrain is rugged, steep and quite old. Wonderful staff who could not be more accommodating and helpful. Very worthwhile the effort it takes to climb the hill to breakfast, and to negotiate 3 levels to find ones bed.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank cheryllc770
KupuKupuResorts, Resort Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Dear cheryllc770,

Thank you for staying with us at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’OCCITANE and thank you for your great review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests. for the guest more than 60 years old, our suggestion to book our one story floor of Ayung river View or River view. we will provide electric car with our butler to access the property.

Thank you for your nice review towards our service quality. We do try to please all palates and preferences. Furthermore, as you discovered, the resort is set inside green jungle, blessed with mesmerizing Ayung river valley view.

Please do recommend us to family and friends and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you plan your next visit to Ubud-Bali. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via kadek@kupubarong.com, my team and I remain at your service.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We have just returned after booking what I thought would be heaven on Earth holiday at Kupu Kupu Barong Resort and Spa in Ubud Bali - but SO wrong!
Purchasing the holiday package through Luxury Escapes went without a drama and even happy to say LE was prepared to refund me the holiday if our trip was interfered with the Mt Agung volcano (never eventuated).

We arrived and were issued our Ayung River Pool Villa but noticed that it wasn't quite as spacious or luxurious as the photos on the Agents site only to find there is two types of rooms - the River VIEW Pool Villa or the River FRONT Pool Villa (the latter obviously larger and better appointed). We received the the downsized version.
Unfortunately later that evening a typical Bali 'sewerage/ drain smell' started to appear and next morning it was too unbearable to go outside on the patio or around our pool. They promptly moved us to another Villa with identical layout with an even smaller pool directly overlooking the construction site of a dam being built on the river.
Two weeks prior to leaving I recognised a few other people had mentioned this construction of a dam on on this website so requested to be as far away as possible only to be put in the closet Villa to the worksite. Workers started at 7am and finished at 5pm with machinery every day and every time my wife went out to our pool area got waves from the workers which indicated we had no privacy whatsoever.

If you purchase the 'Upgrade' which includes the lunch package, be prepared to choose from three different restaurants around the resort but have no choice what you can choose at these venues as you receive the package meal for the day and that's it. No selection.

The 'Upgrade' also included a 75min massage at the Mango Tree Spa which would have to be the lamest massage we've had in Bali with the therapists just barely going through their routine. The venue again in a second rate bamboo hut compared to the first class rooms that were available to other customers.

There were many more smaller disappointments throughout our stay such as even the complimentary spirits included in the deal and on the first night never offered once our room was changed.

This resort probably was a real gem when it opened many years ago, obviously when website and advertising photos were taken, but now is in need of a real major renovation with even small things such as outdoor decking coming loose, proud nails heads and flaking paint, balustrades on verandahs so poor that if you lent against it it would collapse.
Many more issues but to great to list.

We left on our last day completely disheartened and feeling totally ripped off.
Get your act together Luxury Escapes and Kupu Kupu because I believe a lot of other customers like us who purchase this holiday deal must be leaving disappointed feeling like a second rate package customer.
Totally not acceptable after spending $2300 for 5 nights ($460 per day) and leaving feeling like a complete idiot - like you have been ripped off and couldn't do a thing about it.

Please take this scathing attack constructively and do something about it for other future customers.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank kepakurl
KupuKupuResorts, Resort Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear kepakurl,

Firstly I must specifically thank you for choosing our Resort for your stay in Ubud.

I am sad and sorry to read your review regarding your stay experience at our resort.

I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering expected services. This isn’t an excuse however… we have shared your review with our executive team so that corrective measures are taken as our utmost priority is to deliver an excellent holiday through impeccable facilities and irreproachable service. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues that you described. Concerning the dam project by government at Ayug River will be finished soon, we believe after all is done we will have an amzing view with the small lagoon from our resort.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and gracious remarks.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

We stayed for 3 nights in a River Front Pool Villa. The views, scenery and private infinity pool were truly spectacular - our favourite part of the trip. The room was beautiful, spacious and clean, and the bath was awesome. The food was fine, although meals arrived cold both times we ordered room service. The location is a bit out of the way from central Ubud, so best for those who are happy to stay in and enjoy the resort facilities.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura B
KupuKupuResorts, Resort Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Laura B,

Thank you for staying with us at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’OCCITANE and thank you for your wonderful review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your Stay with us and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

This is not 5 star!

We had the meal by the pool, the meal was very overpriced for the quality, compared to all other meals we had in Bali, this was the worst one and about 5 times the cost!
I cannot believe we were not even given a drink or free water with this meal.
The service and tax should be clearly stated on the website so that people can see how much this will actually cost them.

On checking out, we were overcharged by the receptionist when paying for the meal in dollars and had to go back to explain how he had overcharged us. This was a fairly long process and nearly missed our taxi because of this.

The view was fantastic, but I would probably recommend going for a drink there instead of paying that much for a room!

The room was nice but there was huge ants crawling in my bed so I didn't sleep at all, and we stayed at other jungle properties without this issue.

Seems that because they already have a good reputation they don't try as hard as other places to give the best service and experience. We had stayed at many places in Bali and the service and experience at Kupu Kupu was by far the worst and the price was almost double what we paid elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy D

Dear Lucy D,

Please let us thank you for staying at our resort in Ubud, Bali and for taking your time to share with us and the readers of Tripadvisor regarding your experience and impressions.

Your feedback is most encouraging and comes much appreciated. I am pleased that our associates took good care of you and delivered friendly. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests. We were delighted to share such within our team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me via kadek@kupubarong.com if I can be of your assistance. My team and I look forward to taking care of you again.