“A bit of fun”

Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our second visit to Walworth Castle. What you pay for here is the overall experience of staying somewhere different. Both times we have been we have stayed in the main part of the castle and booked a four poster bed. We like the quirkiness of the place, and although some of the furnishings are tired they somehow fit in and go with the ambience. The staff are friendly and we had a great meal in the bar, excellent value and service. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice and nicely presented. If you stay in the winter take plenty of warm clothes. It is draughty which makes it just comfortable on a hot summers evening in July.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main castle away from the kitchen extractor fans.
1  Thank Mossey2014

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Overall quite dissapointed. However the food was very nice and overall external appearance and location of the hotel really good. Let down by attention to detail, management & service levels. Place has great potential & could be so much better.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
2  Thank Stephen R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a 2 night stay booked by my partner as a surprise for me. I had no idea where we were staying..and was given directions and told to 'just drive'!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up in front of A CASTLE!!!
Throughout our stay, the staff were fabulous, very friendly, professional, smart and polite...the food was divine...
Our room was lovely with views towards the Walworth Castle Birds of Prey area..( more than worth visiting ..£5 for 2 x 40 minute, interactive displays..)
The location of this Hotel is just stunning, with views across open fields as far as the eye can see,
I cheekily popped my head around the open door of the King James Suite...WOWZA ....sooooooo luxurious....I have never seen anything like it in my life, how wonderful it must be to spend a special occasion in this suite.
Took breakfast in the very pretty little library, seats only a few in there, so hurry if you want to have a special start to your day..plenty of seating available in the main dining room(s) ...
We also took morning and afternoon coffee in another very large room where piano music played for the enjoyment of the guests. I loved this room, very comfortable, tasteful furnishings...large windows... high ceilings....bliss. I saw the afternoon teas being taken by other people..they looked so good :)
We really look forward to staying here again in the future..in fact, we are hoping to book for the murder mystery evening in November for my birthday...circumstances at home permitting.

Room Tip: We had a room in the castle itself and both of us were very happy with it. Room 27...I really don...
1  Thank Viv P
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have stayed at several Best Western Hotels during our visit to the United Kingdom so we were expecting the same level of service. But instead on our arrival we were greeted by a cohort of teens on their Prom so parking wasn't easy. Couldn't get to our room during the evening because of the teens milling around all the main entrances. I was told that we could use the side door entrance to the west wing but the door didn't work for the 2 days we were there. The wifi was intermittent and we had to stand by the room door to get service when it was working. I was not impressed that the power went out at 10.20am (40 mins before we had to be checked out). An electrician van was at the hotel so I assume it was scheduled. Even if it wasn't scheduled a quick room door knock would have helped with my increasing frustration with this hotel. The power came back on at 11.00am. I expected our room to be on the small side so that was not a concern and understand that old hotels/castles have a few resident spiders so that also wasn't an issue. Also enjoyed our meals and the receptionist who was on during the night of the Prom was lovely. When I finally got to the car I realised that this was the first hotel we have stayed in where they didn't ask if we had a pleasant stay. Wonder why?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen G
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel itself is nice enough and the location/views second to none. My room was large and clean if a bit tatty in places.
What let the place down on the nights I visited was the food and service in the restaurant (ignoring the 20 minutes it took for someone to get round to checking me in). On the two nights I stayed there were birthday/school prom events on - and the staff attention seemed completed focused on these. On the first night it took me over an hour to be served the single course I ordered, although it was very pleasant (by that time however the table mats were starting to look appetizing!). Undetered I tried again on the second night of my staff - on this occasion afer being rather reluctantly offered a menu I was left to my own devises for 30 minutes, the staff showing no inclination to take my order despite a number of attempts. In the end, as it was obviously that single business travellers were not a priority I was forced to drive out and find food in local pub.

I'm sure that he hotel is great at events and functions - for business or casual travelers I ge the feeling they are happy to take money for accomodation but would rather you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Owls17
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Owls17,

Thank you for your recent review. On a positive note I am pleased you enjoyed staying in our hotel, although I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in our restaurant service. Last week was particularly busy due to the number of proms we had at the hotel, although I can assure you that it is not our intention to deter you from dining with us. Being a privately owned and operated hotel we take customer satisfaction as a number one priority, whether you are a business traveller, leisure or attending a function, you should have received a high standard of customer care. I hope you will excuse us for your recent experience and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here just for one night as a little treat for ourselves. The surroundings of the Castle are beautiful, as you drive uo to it it is quite an impressive building.
The check in was very good and done quickly and efficiently.
Our room was "Victoria's Room" which was facing towards the back of the castle. The room was very nice, spotlessly clean and well stocked with tea, coffee and biscuits.
The bathroom was lovely and spacious with a very good shower.
We had a lovely meal in the Farmer's Bar, the prices are very good too.
All if the staff were smartly dressed an courteous.
The breakfast was delicious and plenty of it too.
I would definitely stay here again, I found it by chance in a search website and am glad I did.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear miwb13,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your lovely comments onto all concerned and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Ken H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Redworth Hall Hotel
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!