“Get the four poster rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel

BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Get the four poster rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Went for one night last weekend. We had decided to get a room with a four poster, which turned out to be a good choice because it was lovely, quiet and characterful. We had a lovely drink in the lounge, dinner in the restaurant and breakfast was also hearty. The staff were nice although the place was full with pre- wedding guests, which provided some light entertainment. You can see from the reviews that the cheap rooms aren't so good so I can recommend paying that little bit more!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed on the 9th August to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Lovely hotel, helpful and friendly staff. Although our castle room was on the small side, you get what you pay for. We were a little deterred by some reviews but very much enjoyed our stay. Restaurant food was lovely and good value. Would recommend to others and happily stay again.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
Bridge of allan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Excellent stay at Walworth Castle hotel last week.....staff pleasant and welcoming...... We had one of the best top quality main courses at a reasonable price and the following morning breakfast was very good also. The ony downfall was the bed which was as hard as concrete so little sleep possible causing a very sore back......hope they resolve this as otherwise I would recommend Walworth Castle as a very good stay.

Room Tip: Check the beds out first!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Leyland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

From the outside, lovely but the wrapping does not carry on indoors :-( reception seems to be just an add-on to the front entrance. Receptionist was good and talkative. Then informed we were in the annex ! Our room was quite small with the television in a very strange position and plugged into an extension lead ? To be totally honest the room was not good at all. Stain on the sheet, bed was rock hard, dust and cobwebs all over. Looked for the bar to have a quiet drink before dinner but it was in the dining room ? So went through to the front bar that was unmanned and sat in the window area. This had been temporarily roped off due to a Prom party. Back into the restaurant for a meal then ordered potato skins for a starter and have to say it was the worst I had ever seen, with an excessive amount of dirty oil in the bottom of the plate. Then the belly pork that I had ordered arrived, oh dear. Absolutely terrible, it was more like a thick slice of undercooked streaky back, the veg was cold and looked more like a garnish, the plate was cold also. Yes I did complain. I explained to the waiter who I have to say was quite pleasant, and explained to me that I did not have to pay for the starter or main course. I must add at this point that my wife had the fish and chips and she enjoyed every mouthful. Then retired to bed approx 2200hrs. The noise coming from one of the laundry/ staff rooms with doors banging staff talking bin lids banging bottles being put into the bins was horrendous. Then started again early in the morning. Breakfast was OK. Went to pay the bill and was told I had to wait until the receptionist got in at 0700hrs. When I did pay, they had not removed the starter and main course until I told them to. The receptionist stated that she would inform the owner and get him to ring me, guess what that never happened. Not a good visit at all. My credentials are 40 years in the hotel and catering industry. I can understand that sometimes you have bad days but this was a little more than that. Would I go back probably not, and that is a shame because it is in a lovely location and close amenities. This is my opinion on my experience.

Room Tip: Only saw the one we were in, which was close to the staff/laundry room. Stay well clear.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank rocky581
Rachel S, Owner at BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear rocky581,

Firstly I would like to say I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I can appreciate that when you are booking a castle hotel, you would want to stay in the main castle. However when booking our hotel it does clearly state that rooms in the west wing are in an annex and are adjoining the main castle and they are reflected in the price. I am also sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal, but I certainly think that this was a one off experience as we do usually have compliments on the food we serve. I really do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future and I am sure you will have a better experience next time around.
Brandon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in this 11th centuary Castle for our Ruby Anniversary. It held alot of history to it a very friendly attomospere the rooms in the castle itself were very much in with the setting, a four poster bed a nice size ensuite with double shower.The bedroom was a nice size with a flat sceen T.V. Tea and coffee making facilities.
The breakfast had a buffet style with juices cerials pastries then you ordered a choice of full english or scambled egg on muffins with smoked salmon, kippers and toast. The food in the evenings was very nice and the staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Book to stay in the Castle itself not the annex.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've tried this hotel twice now just in case the first visit was a bad night, but it's not a hotel for me.
My preference is for a modern, sharp, comfy room to relax with a good healthy menu to chose from.
This grand old castle is beautiful and there is plenty to admire both inside and out. The staff are really good and know thier stuff. The resturant serves very good nosh but the bar at the back should be avoided if good food is on your list. It's probably fine for a pint!
There is a treatment spa on site but have not ventured in due to work load.
I will return once revamped.

Room Tip: There is no lift and the floors are two or three flights apart.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Melanie H
Dear Melanie H,

I understand that this is not the hotel for you if your preference is for a modern, sharp room. We are proud to be a 12th century castle hotel and the decor compliments this rather than every room being the same. But thank you for your comments and although we are constantly upgrading the facilities we offer, we are never going to be a modern purpose built hotel.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I checked the website for an idea of what meals were available then contacted the hotel to check on menu choice as I found it rather confusing to be told that the resturant only served a three course meal and you could not take a meal from the carvery into resurant (due to fussy eaters) which is why I booked a table for the farmers bar but would be in another room then having to change the number of people joining me I found myself in the farmers bar which was utter chaos as the table we that been asigned did not have enough seats and we could not get to the table because a table with a buggy was right in front of it as they were trying to keep out of the way of the serving area as you queue in front of the serving area then have to edge past people waiting to get to the vegetables etc then squeeze back to your table past people coming in, the hotel is trying to get as many people as possible into a very small space not a very nice way to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I have been to better organised carveries in leser buildings and I had thought of booking a room sometime but since its mainly a weeding venue I will not bother.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank El S
Dear El S

During a Sunday lunch we have 2 dining options. Either a 3 course lunch in the restaurant or a main course carvery in either the Farmers Bar or Cardinals Court, if this is not used for a private function. As the Farmers bar is quite narrow, we tend to allocate smaller tables in here and larger parties in the cardinals court. I am sorry there was some confusion with the number of people you booked for, however the table will have been set for the original numbers which we were given. Sunday lunch is one of our busiest times of the week so I am sorry if you thought it was too busy, but I can assure you that we take all complaints seriously and I really do hope you will try us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,312 reviews
The Bannatyne Hotel and Spa - Darlington
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!