Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel
PremierInn.com
Clow Beck House(Darlington)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgastro pubsunday lunchrockcliffe hallfunction roombridal suitefull englishwedding venuestayed here for one nightnight portervisited this hotelsandwichespateafternoon teawalk in showernight staythe ground floorwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Four of us had dinner on Thursday evening and the meal was excellent. The staff were very friendly and the Manager very available all evening. We had a look around and the place was great, lovely little chappel for weddings and dance floor for the evening dancing. I do believe there are deals on for all inclusive weddings which seem very very reasonable to me.

Room Tip: I can not comment as we did not stay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Rob B, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your review, I am glad you and your party enjoyed our Gastropub food and service, It was a pleasure to show you around the Hotel after your meal and that you like our new look function room, I'm glad you believe we offer value for money with our wedding packages too and look forward to welcoming you back to the Croft Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Very impressed with the newly renovated Croft Hotel and Gastro Pub. Very relaxed atmosphere lovely decor with attention to detail we choose Thursday night being their steak night great food and value for money xWould highly recommend .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank toddy5rugby

Thank you for your review, I am extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed the food offering and the Steak night menu too and found it good value for money. I am glad you enjoyed the new look Croft Hotel since our refurbishment too. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived at this hotel to be speedily booked in and handed our room card. We made our way to our room around service trolleys and piles of (used?) bedding lying in the first floor hallways. Check in was 2pm we checked in at gone 3pm. We arrived at our room to be met by a member of the service staff and we were told that the room (very obviously when we looked in) was not ready. We returned to reception to an apology for the error. We made enquiries regarding a £9.95 2 courses and a drink evening meal offer on posters and leaflets and were told we had to book for this. I asked if we could book. We were informed that we had to PRE-book (2 days). We wandered around the reception and lounge areas whilst we waited for the room to be made ready. A member of staff was creating the chefs special menu board, presumably for the evening restaurant offering. We asked if this was part of the £9.95 offer. Yes was the answer. We asked if we could book for this. "Of course" was the answer! We then learned that this staff member was the Hotel Manager (doing the menus???) We informed her of the room situation and asked what we should do whilst waiting. We were offered a complimentary tea for two in the tea rooms attached to the hotel. Very nice it was too!
The room became ready after an hour's wait (we had to ask). We returned to room 20 and were looking around as one does, the loo the view etc. Upon using the bathroom facilities we were almost deafened by the plumbing. To use the wash basin one had to close the shower screen over the bath. When operating the taps this brought in a pump (same pump under our bathroom floor was briefly operated by the taps being used in the next room). All entirely unnecessary and the result of bad design (I fit and refurbish bathrooms for a living). The view from room 20 is very nice. The decor of the room, like the title says, does NOT match the contemporary design of the recently refurbished reception, lounge and reception areas. May be time for redecoration. The evening meal was very good if little scarce on quantity but is this not quite normal for this type of hotel nowadays? The "traditional Full (?? not me) English breakfast" was even smaller. The first time we have needed to eat a mid day meal (fish and chips at Duke of York Whitby highly recommended) whilst away on holiday.
Explanations for the errors made by staff were that they had not had a manager for three weeks. We may return as The Croft is quiet and centrally located and will be given plenty of time to improve.

Room Tip: Not room 6 we overheard complaints of a loud fan just outside the window. Room 20 has a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkTortworth

Thank you for completing a review, I apologise for the less than satisfactory experience you encountered and we are continuously working to ensure all guests enjoy their meals and stay with us. It would be most helpful if you could forward the date so I can investigate what occurred on the day. Thank you in advance.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I called the hotel one evening to check availability and was told the hotel was full although there was availability on the comparison sites.when i queried this via email i was told there was availability and as there was no receptionist on an evening,it must have been a member of the restaurant staff that told me that.to apologise i was offered a slight discount and free upgrade to a superior room which I accepted and booked.when we checked in we were given a different room to what I had been told over the phone but thought I'd check it first.it didnt seem to be 'superior' ,(plus it was freezing and the bathroom was really mouldy).when I queried it with the manager,I was told it was a room with a view (of the road and graveyard as it happened!) I explained the situation which he was aware of but said as there was a wedding taking place they had no superior rooms left and that I shouldn't have been told i could have one.i found this strange as the lady I spoke to told me the room number she was booking for us so I think this may have been changed when the wedding guests paid extra to upgrade.the buck was well and truly passed from start to finish.in the end we checked straight back out and stayed at the nearby George hotel which I would highly recommend

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank MsClareL

I am very sorry for the confusion with your booking, we had offered you an upgrade from our standard room and I am sorry this was not to your liking, the view is of the 13th century bridge that crosses from Yorkshire to County Durham and does sit next to the Churchyard. As you stated we had a wedding on that date and were limited to the room types that were available and I apologise that you had such a poor experience and felt misled in the booking process. If you would like to contact me directly we can discuss further and hopefully restore your faith in the Croft Hotel.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Small hotel with bar and restaurant. Bar and restaurant have been tastefully refurbed but on a wednesday evening they were pretty quiet. Food was OK but nothing too special - service was friendly and efficient.

My room hadn't been refurbed and was a bit tired but perfectly OK. Would definitely suggest a room at the back. Rooms at the front face a busy road and the first one I tried had single glazing. Staff were very happy to let me change though.

Stayed here because attending a conference at Rockcliffe Hall where the discounted room rate was more than twice the price.

Breakfast was good with even kippers on the menu.

This is a hotel that is clearly going through a period of change and it deserves to succeed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Rob B, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for the review, I'm glad overall you have enjoyed your experience with us, we are currently going through a change and now have a New Head Chef to raise the standards of the food offering so I hope when you do return you will see the positives in the changes we are making, I am glad you enjoyed the Kippers at breakfast too!! We look forward to seeing you again.