“Very enjoyable stay”

Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Croft-on-Tees
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Husband and I stayed overnight in an executive room with breakfast and would stay again. Hotel is modern and clean and staff are very pleasant. We had an initial problem as the room we got didnt look like executive room but when querying with member of staff (very pleasant french spoken man) he apologised for the error, booked us into the correct room and checked this was suitable before giving us the key card and also we got a complimentary drink for the inconvenience. I think this is excellent customer service - it was like nothing was too much trouble. Free newspapers to read. Room was lovely - huge comfortable four poster bed, massive bathroom with a bath that fits two people, tea/coffee & milk - maybe some hot chocolate would have been nice and no teaspoon but we compromised by using the opposite end of our toothbrush!! We were at the front of the hotel but the road noise was minimal and didnt affect our stay. Breakfast was lovely served by a pleasant attentive young lady. You could have tea/coffee/juice, cereals, croissants and full english with as much toast as you liked. Lovely surroundings, laid back and enjoyable. I would definately stay here again and would recommend to people. We stayed at the Blackwell Grange earlier in the year and The Croft is much nicer. Only wished we knew they were doing meal deals too as we stopped off at a pub before arriving at hotel. In summary, go and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rob B, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, my apologies on the confusion of your room type but I am glad Francois was able to resolve the situation to a satisfactory level for you. We do have very good sized bedrooms and I am glad you enjoyed the facilities, my apologies there was no tea spoons in the room and I will speak to my housekeeping team regarding this.

I look forward to you returning to the hotel soon,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Myself, my daughter and her partner visited the Tea Rooms as a special treat for my daughter's birthday but we were very disappointed. On entering the Tea Room we were told by the lady behind the till to go to the table at the end of the room which was already set up for us and she would be with us after she had finished what she was doing. We sat at the table which had a written piece of paper on it marked in green felt tip pen RESERVED (not very professional!! )
After waiting approx 10 mins she came to take our order. We were the only visitors in the Tea Rooms which were cold and unwelcoming. The food arrived fairly quickly but what were supposed to be fingers sandwiches were small triangles filled with what tasted like sandwich filler, we weren't given a choice of white or brown bread.The cakes were a bit on the small side compared to previous restaurants we have visited and we were served with one dry scone with burnt currants. The first cup of tea was fine but after requesting a refill the following cups tasted of dishwater, very unpleasant. We were asked to pay the bill before we had finished eating as the kitchen was closing which we did but then we didn't see the waitress or anyone else before we left. My comments have much in common with the previous review but obviously nothing has changed since then. Overall the Customer service was very poor and I would not recommend or visit the Tea Rooms in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jaq825

Dear Jaq825,

I am sorry the Tea rooms service and Food offering did not meet your expectations upon this visit. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss further if you can.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My overall experience of Afternoon tea wasn't good.

First of all the tea came and had been consumed without any sight of the food, so we had to be given a refill. The food arrived after a 40 minute wait!

We were told that the tea was a very intricate business as everything was made fresh and the sandwiches were served as fingers. On arrival they were just triangles using sandwich fillings which I thought was very disappointing for the money. Two of us out of the party of five, ordered 2 separate afternoon teas at £13.95 each so we could choose our sandwiches, 2 ordered just cream tea and one had a slice of cake. We were given a choice white or brown bread, of which one of us chose white and the other brown and informed that traditional afternoon tea is supplied with smoked salmon sandwiches. The bread used was in fact 50/50 so not sure why there was a choice. I would say the bread was yesterdays as well and none of the fillings was smoked salmon.

There was what looked to be a shop bought cream meringue that had been cut in half, one for each afternoon tea. Apparently with the cream tea you usually get 2 scones but were given 3 due to the fact that they were so small. They were also dry and the currants were burnt.

To be fair to the lady that served us she did try her best to put the situation right and kept making a reference to the fact that it hadn't come from her kitchen but from the hotel's main kitchen. Maybe her kitchen was closed as it was 4pm but if so they shouldn't have still been serving afternoon tea.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caren E

My apologies for what sounds like a less than satisfactory experience on this occasion, please contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss your visit further.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

A friendly reception and helpful staff greeted us. We were quickly shown to our table, and despite our accents, which incidently represented all 4 corners of the uk, and changing our minds before final decisions were made, the staff coped with a smile and we were soon enjoying our meals. All 10 of us commented favourably on our choices and empty plates said it all. We selected from the early bird type menu, which had a reasonable selection and each had generous portions.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Liam,

Thank you for completing a review on your experience, I am glad you have enjoyed our food offering and service standards from the team. I look forward to welcoming you and your party back again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Called in for a lunchtime snack. Entrance from the car park locked, also littered with damp cigarette ends. A lady directed us to a doorway further along the building which was not visible from where we parked. Found the tea room which was empty and no one about. Eventually a staff member appeared and provided attentive service from then on. Food of a reasonable quality, although expensive and room very cold - electric heaters on but door wedged open ! Lacking in atmosphere. When we were presented with the account the price differed to that on the menu. It then appeared that the menus, chalkboard and till have different prices for the same item. (the menu being the cheaper) We also asked that the discretionary service charge should not be charged as we understand that this type of pricing does not go to the staff members but goes into the business. Always best to reward with cash.
The chalkboard in the main bar was advertising March specials although it was April. Basic errors which is a shame when money has obviously been invested into the property

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frankienesbitt

Dear Frankie,

Please accept my apologies for the less than satisfactory experience you have experienced on this visit, please contact me directly to discuss further.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We are regular diners at the Croft and have previously enjoyed very good evening meals and Sunday lunches. However, lunch on Sunday 13 April was well below standard. The so called Yorkshire puddings looked like small cakes and were as hard as rocks. Examination of the inside revealed a peculiar tasteless mess which was certainly not a batter mixture! A member of staff said that others had complained about this. The sliced beef was served as a single thick piece resembling a steak, the pork crackling was soft and overall the meal was just, barely hot enough. The restaurant was almost empty at 1.45 so perhaps these issues need to be addressed. The staff handled our complaint politely and efficiently and we were not charged for the food. However, we would have preferred to pay the price for a good meal!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MM K
Rob B, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for completing a review of your meal experience. I apologise as this sounds far from satisfactory and not up to our standards that you have enjoyed here in the past. If you would like to contact me directly then we could discuss your issues further and hopefully retain your loyal custom that we do appreciate here at the Croft Hotel.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Four of us had dinner on Thursday evening and the meal was excellent. The staff were very friendly and the Manager very available all evening. We had a look around and the place was great, lovely little chappel for weddings and dance floor for the evening dancing. I do believe there are deals on for all inclusive weddings which seem very very reasonable to me.

Room Tip: I can not comment as we did not stay.