“Hugely disappointing.”

BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Croft-on-Tees
“Hugely disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Checked in to hotel for single night only, very relieved to say !
Bar area and restaurant very pleasant, clean and well presented with very attentive staff. Food was also pretty good and a reasonable price. Once upstairs in the hotel - an entirely different story. Very very aged and unloved room. Door latches loose and hanging off, light switches similarly. Toilet seat lid cracked with engrained dirt. Tiling and grout mouldy and when I came to tr the shower, only 3 jets working due to mould and other science experiments growing there, absolutely disgusting - see pics. Window frames covered in months of dirt and cobwebs. Such a shame as the staff were very polite, attentive and helpful and in their defence refunded the room rate.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank UkJonnyfp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Decided to have dinner here on a Saturday night (unbooked) ordered our food whilst having a drink in the bar - food brought to us despite our request to sit in the restaurant. We were moved into the restaurant. Had to ask for a wine list and eventually my husband had to get up and find someone to order our wine. Wine promotion advertised 'Wine of the month' - no-one knew about it. The restaurant manager agreed this offer had not yet been set up. Rioja advertised as an Italian wine?
Vegetarian sausage ordered from menu - I was presented with 3 pork sausages!!!! The staff barely believed that I had ordered veggie sausage and had to check the menu to see that it was actually listed.
The restaurant staff seemed to be approx 16yrs old and not equipped or trained to deal with issues. Other diners in the restaurant also were having problems with their service and orders. After we had finished our meals we were presented with2portions of steak and chips!!! Obviously the wrong table. To be fair to them they did not charge me for my 'pork' / 'veggie' sausages as I did not want a replacement nor did they charge for the bottle of 'Italian Rioja' The 10% service charge was also omitted!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liz T
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My son and his fiancée held their wedding here, and it couldn't have better. The canapés (which were delicious) and Prosecco was ready and waiting when we all arrived back from church, and everything was organized with precision. The bar staff were very accommodating to such a large crowd and Louise saw to it that everything else ran like clockwork. She seemed to be everywhere, doing all the little (and large) things without fuss. The hot food in the evening was equally as good as the canapés and the whole affair from start to finish was dealt with professionally and with a smile. The day was perfect. You can't ask for more than that. Thank you to all of the staff, not forgetting the chamber maids, and receptionists who were also instrumental in making the day as excellent as it was.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fran R
Rob B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2014
Dear Fran R,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your son and daughter-in-laws Wedding Day. I will pass on you comments to the team and I am thrilled the day went so well and everyone enjoyed themselves.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'm not a one for leaving a review but after the experience I had I thought I'd better. Where do I start.... I rang the hotel a couple of days before arriving as the reservation had been booked for a while. Only to be told was I sure I had booked under my name? After I searched my emails to look for my confirmation I then had to forward it to the hotel as proof. They still couldn't find me. After phone calls backwards and forwards I was then told I could have an upgrade for the inconvenience. We checked in on sat 2nd aug and was told we were in room 5. We were out all day and night. When we got back to the hotel we went to room 5 only to find people in our room. Went down to reception to report this to be told that the hotel had been trying to ring me to tell me that we had changed rooms. I didn't receive any call. I was put in to room 4 to be told it was a bridal suite if that was a bridal suite I would want a full refund! When talking to other guests they had experienced the same. The running of the booking system is a utter sham. We were offered discount which I did accept but to be fair I wish I hadn't because the whole experience was horrendous. I wasn't sure if I had a room, then we did, then someone else was in our room to be moved! It is not how you run a business

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Faye M
Dear FayeM,

My sincere apologies that we were not more efficient with your booking process, this is not a normal occurrence and certainly not what we wish our guests to experience whilst staying with us. I apologise that the Room number you had been issued with upon your early check in was changed. We have taken on board the feedback from yourself and the other guests that were affected on this isolated incident and now changed our procedures to ensure it is never repeated for future guests.
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I only stopped for one night but i found the hotel well located by the river if you fancy a stroll. the staff were charming throughout my stay and most helpful. as someone said the downstairs is very smartly appointed and the menu looked varried but i only ate breakfast there which i have to say was supurb with everything you could wish for. so good hotel, friendly helpful staff and attractive public rooms. my only grip as someone else mentioned was the wifi. i was in room 11 and it was a waste of time. hotels really must provide what they say they will in the way of wifi. i just couldnt get any work done so ask for a room with good reception if you need it for work. apart from that good hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank debcox
Rob B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Debcox,

Thank you for the review, I am glad you have found the team to be helpful during your stay, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and hope you will try our lunch or dinner menus when you return again. The wi-fi is something we have already identified and are upgrading in the bedrooms in the very near future so hopefully you will experience this in your next visit to us.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have visited the Croft on numerous occasions, it's good to see that the restaurant has upped it's game, the food is now constantly good, service friendly.
The prices are reasonable.
Clean & comfortable surroundings.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jellysweets,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am glad you feel that the food and service has improved recently and is now at a consistent level, and also that our new menus provide value for money, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and will pass your positive comments on to the team.
durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our daughter had her Wedding reception here on the 19th July 14. We had an amazing day and all the guests had a great time.
Everything ran smoothly from start to finish, the staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely three course meal in the afternoon and a hot buffet in the evening. The Wedding Room looked beautiful, thanks to all that helped.

Thanks again to the management and staff who worked so hard to make this special day perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maykitten
Rob B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Maykitten,

I am so pleased to hear your Daughter and Son in Laws wedding day went well and you had an amazing day. I will pass on your thanks to Louise and the Team regarding this, we hope to be able to welcome you back to The Croft in the near future. I also hope the Happy couple have an enjoyable Honeymoon too.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croft-on-Tees
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Allerton Court Hotel
Allerton Court Hotel
#3 of 5 in Northallerton

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel? Share your experiences!