“Superb Hotel”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
“Superb Hotel”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I were treating ourselves to a weekend break from our delightful but exhausting 2 1/2 year old! Friends had recommended Rockliffe Hall and we were not disappointed. At check in we were greeted by Jim, head concierge who took our bags and parked our car. Bags delivered to our room and a full explanation of the facilities and mod cons in our room left us feeling that this was going to be a great break. Jim was fantastic throughout and helpful whenever we needed him. This goes for the rest of the staff - helpful, unobtrusive, achieving just the right atmosphere. I was afraid that being a 5 star hotel we would be made to feel less than worthy of being there but nothing could have been further than the truth. We ate in the orangery on our first night, which was superb and an experience I will not forget and in the club house on our second night, again great food and atmosphere. The spa is amazing and my hubby enjoyed the golf range and practice area. Breakfast was another highlight and we can particularly recommend the smoked haddock, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce and also the porridge is the best I have ever tasted. All in all a fantastic break worth every penny (even the £12 cocktail!).

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The overall experience exceeded our expectations. As we arrived and prepared to take our luggage from the car a man arrived in a buggy and took both our luggage and ourselves to the entrance. The spar is not only the largest I have been in but has every facility known to man. Excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JuneWF
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I will start by saying that I am an extremely fussy person, who detests bad service. I am not rich, but I dont mind paying for something if I feel it is worthwhile. I do mind payng for something that is overrated. There is nothing overrated about Rockcliffe hall. We were greeted at the door, our bags taken from us, and immediately checked into our room. We were escorted to the room and when we arrived our bags were already waiting for us. The room was magnificent. They thought of everything. The vanity had its own area, complete with outlets, the bathroom had a roomy clean shower and separate large bath tub, and two sinks. The bed was extremely comfortable and well presented and the sofas in the room were actually comfortable. They even had bottled water in the fridge, along with fresh milk for the coffee. My only complaint about the room was that we didnt get to spend any time in it since we were at the spa and restaurant.
The spa itself is extremely clean, boasts beautiful views outside, has comfortable lounge chairs, and the most amazing hot pool, filled with 4 different types of jets. We ate at the Brasierre and the food was impressive, but more than that, the servers actually were familiar with the menu, could describe the dishes and make recommendations. The wine was also wonderful, it was obvious that the food and liquer were all top quality. I would like to point out that the wine and cocktails are a bit pricey, but worth every penny, as it is the FIRST time I have not complained about my cocktail or wine that I have ordered at a bar or restaurant in England. Yes, I am American, and you can say what you want to about us, but we do know our food and arent afraid to complain. I personally would rather pay a few pound more and not have to complain. I actually wondered how they made any money for the amount of people they had on staff to ensure we were taken care of. So my advice if you are money conscious is to tell you it is good value for money, as you get more than you pay for.
We left feeling pampered and relaxed and have been shouting its praises since the time we have left. By far the best in England.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sholehc
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

My mum, sister and i have just returned from a fab 2 night break in this great spa hotel. we were celebrating my mother's 70th birthday and the visit was certainly memorable.

From the time of booking, which was handeled extremely efficiently by Ben, to our departure the experience was a joy. The staff were all very polite and helpful, without being stuffy, which is sometimes a problem in 5 star hotels.

The food and wine choice was fab as were the spa facilities.

Travelling as a threesome is difficult in most hotels as they do not have the facility for triple rooms but at Rockliffe you have the ability to stay in Armstrong house, 2 minutes walk from main hotel, which has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a large open plan sitting, & dining kitchen area.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We had initially wanted to stay at the Swinton Park but it was fully booked several weeks ago for the time we were going to be in the North East. We found Rockliffe Hall through "tripadviser" and decided to give it a try. We were not at all disappointed as this is a very, very comfortable hotel.

We paid in advance and got a 15% discount on our Junior suite which had something like an 80 sq m floor area. We ate in the Brasserie one night and in the Orangery the second. Both meals were of a very high standard, although to our mind not quite up there with the Driftwood near St Mawes where we stayed in September.

Yes there were a couple of niggles, we failed to master the lighting system in the room whilst the TV was a bit tempermental - the Duty Manager said they were aware of both issues but as yet they had not been addressed - but on the other hand our i-pad worked a treat.

We visited Washington Old Hall (good), Bowes Museum (a bit disappointing), the National Railway Museum at Shildon (2 Gresley A4 Pacifics - Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada- being cosmetically restored ahead of the 75th Anniversary of Mallard's world speed record next year) and the Black Sheep Brewery in Masham (my wife was not particularly impressed!!)

All in all a very relaxing two night break in an area we have not visited for some 30 years.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
North East
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I took my lovely mum to Rockliffe Hall for afternoon tea for her 75th birthday, Afternoon tea is something we love to do its such a treat. Ive sampled afternoon tea in some amazing places from local places a regular at Wynyard Hall upto the The Ritz in London (cant praise it highly enough), Rockliffe is wonderful i cant wait to return, its pricy but you pay fo the amazing foodue delights and the experience , the ambience and the beautiful suurroundings which compliment the experience (in my opinion). we had a little pot of gorgeousness it was fresh blackberry jelly with a vanilla foam...mmmmmmm it was so lush. i myself love to bake i make lovely scones and im quite hard to please, the scones i had here were the best ive ever had!!
I struggled to make my booking the floods up here had stopped the telephone lines woring, im quite resourceful, and determined and tweted Kenny Atkinson to ask is he could help, i was blown away when one of my fave celeb chefs responded and sorted my booking for me. Im not sure hte staf i dealt with beying Kenny were too impressed at my cheek but i really wanted to take my mum and couldnt get through via the phoen it was never intended t be a stunt. i was originally told by answerphone they couldnt accomodate us but when i rang back the young lady i spoke to couldnt be more helpful ans thn shge rang me back with a better table and an earlier time. I really loved the feel of the place sumptious but not intimidating and a real treu foodie high. My hubby and I are going back for my wedding anniversary gift from my fab children to the Brasserie i simply cannot wait to return. Im going with my team from work for festive afternoon tea for our Christmas treat....bring it on!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lafybug
London
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

I cannot fault this hotel. The staff are fantastic. A five star service with no hint of prevention of snobbiness. The room was amazing with a tv at the end of the bath. It impressed both myself & our 6 year old twin boys. Lovely Miller & Harris toiletries, plenty of tea & coffee in the room. We only had breakfast at the hotel but that was lovely. Fresh pastries, fruit, cereal etc & a wonderful cooked breakfast. The spa was also wonderful. I had a massage & the lady who did it was friendly & professional. The after treatment room was amazing & very relaxing.
All in all we had an amazing time. Most importantly our children were made to feel welcome & that always makes a hotel a winner for me.

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#8 of 21 in Darlington
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!