Rockliffe Hall
The Coachman Hotel(Darlington)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
2,793 results
All reviewsgolf coursecocktail barspa facilitiesafternoon teafirst classamazing spagolf clubfive star hotelon arrivalout of this worldspa experiencemood lightingbirthday treatdressing areastar servicespecial occasionwhole experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Positives:
- helpful booking staff who made sure that we had rooms which suited our needs. It is worth going for the special offers to get the best prices. We paid £790 total for two nights for two x two bedroom apartments which sleep 3 people in each apartment. This was out of main season prices with special offer but included breakfast for 5 adults. It was also for Sunday/Monday when Orangery restaurant is closed. This was good value for the very large size of the apartments which included full kitchen facilities and would be great for families with young children. It is worth noting that extra beds in other bedrooms are only for under 14s.
- excellent massage by Rachel in the spa
- the spa is spacious and has lots of good rooms including caldarium, igloo, tropicarium etc. Large pool and enormous hydropool (lovely and warm)
- friendly service at breakfast
- you can park next to the two bedroom apartments at Armstrong house which is a very short walk from the main hotel.

Not so good
- the brasserie restaurant was overpriced and overly formal in the evening. Service was slow and not particularly friendly (apart from one younger girl). Food was good but not worth the very high price. Not so keen on popping candy and the Eton mess was terrible
- the worst hot chocolate I have ever had at a hotel. I tried it at breakfast and then again in room service, really horrible.
- the location - we were using the hotel as a base for a visit to Durham but realised that it is 40+ minutes away in good traffic. It wasn't clear what else there was to do in the area so I guess people come to the hotel for a spa/golf break rather than to visit local attractions.
- we had a loud noise at midnight coming from a cupboard in the apartment. Maintenance came out and switched it off.
- I didn't like all the very heavy (I assume fire protection) doors in the apartment. You couldn't leave these open without using suitcases so it all felt very closed in within the flat. You can also hear other people shutting the doors as they leave as they close with a loud noise.
- breakfast in the Orangery is not quite 5 star ingredients/choice

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LAW64
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Went for a post honeymoon treat... amazing hotel with service to match. Dinner & Breakfast both of very high standard. Really nice place to relax and un-wind. Set on amazing grounds - although didnt use the SPA facilities - they looked stunning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I were treating ourselves to a weekend break from our delightful but exhausting 2 1/2 year old! Friends had recommended Rockliffe Hall and we were not disappointed. At check in we were greeted by Jim, head concierge who took our bags and parked our car. Bags delivered to our room and a full explanation of the facilities and mod cons in our room left us feeling that this was going to be a great break. Jim was fantastic throughout and helpful whenever we needed him. This goes for the rest of the staff - helpful, unobtrusive, achieving just the right atmosphere. I was afraid that being a 5 star hotel we would be made to feel less than worthy of being there but nothing could have been further than the truth. We ate in the orangery on our first night, which was superb and an experience I will not forget and in the club house on our second night, again great food and atmosphere. The spa is amazing and my hubby enjoyed the golf range and practice area. Breakfast was another highlight and we can particularly recommend the smoked haddock, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce and also the porridge is the best I have ever tasted. All in all a fantastic break worth every penny (even the £12 cocktail!).

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The overall experience exceeded our expectations. As we arrived and prepared to take our luggage from the car a man arrived in a buggy and took both our luggage and ourselves to the entrance. The spar is not only the largest I have been in but has every facility known to man. Excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JuneWF
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I will start by saying that I am an extremely fussy person, who detests bad service. I am not rich, but I dont mind paying for something if I feel it is worthwhile. I do mind payng for something that is overrated. There is nothing overrated about Rockcliffe hall. We were greeted at the door, our bags taken from us, and immediately checked into our room. We were escorted to the room and when we arrived our bags were already waiting for us. The room was magnificent. They thought of everything. The vanity had its own area, complete with outlets, the bathroom had a roomy clean shower and separate large bath tub, and two sinks. The bed was extremely comfortable and well presented and the sofas in the room were actually comfortable. They even had bottled water in the fridge, along with fresh milk for the coffee. My only complaint about the room was that we didnt get to spend any time in it since we were at the spa and restaurant.
The spa itself is extremely clean, boasts beautiful views outside, has comfortable lounge chairs, and the most amazing hot pool, filled with 4 different types of jets. We ate at the Brasierre and the food was impressive, but more than that, the servers actually were familiar with the menu, could describe the dishes and make recommendations. The wine was also wonderful, it was obvious that the food and liquer were all top quality. I would like to point out that the wine and cocktails are a bit pricey, but worth every penny, as it is the FIRST time I have not complained about my cocktail or wine that I have ordered at a bar or restaurant in England. Yes, I am American, and you can say what you want to about us, but we do know our food and arent afraid to complain. I personally would rather pay a few pound more and not have to complain. I actually wondered how they made any money for the amount of people they had on staff to ensure we were taken care of. So my advice if you are money conscious is to tell you it is good value for money, as you get more than you pay for.
We left feeling pampered and relaxed and have been shouting its praises since the time we have left. By far the best in England.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple