“5 star everywhere ...almost”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Just back from a two night stay at Rockliffe and overall really impressed. We could not get into our usual hotel in the Lakes so decided to try this one given the mostly impressive reports from Tripadvisor. Staff were very friendly and attentive from the moment we pulled up at the front door. Spa experience was excellent with a couple of really good treatments from excellent therapists.

Had our two young children with us and although staff were great with them, felt many of the guests were looking down their noses at them especially in the pool area despite sticking to the children pool times and ensuring their behaviour wouldn't irritate me if I were there for a quiet relaxing time.

Brasserie food was really good with attentive service but to be honest its a little overpriced compared to similar Hotels we have stayed in the UK (especially the wine, where you should ask for the main restaurant wine list which is much better and has wider and often cheaper options)

Really disappointed that despite emailing the hotel and pro shop before we arrived and then again when we were at the hotel they couldn't fit me in for a lesson so my golf is still as bad as it was before i arrived.

Final comment for Hotel management is to have look at breakfast which we felt fell short on the variety of cold buffet compared to other hotels in this price bracket. (i note similar comments on this from other guests)

Ps Hotel free Wifi doesn't work poolside!

We will come back but probably without the children to make more use of the Spa and dine in the Orangery.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rockliffe Hall

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here for one night last year but felt this didn't let us make full use of the facilities so this time we stayed for three nights on the 'come dine with us' offer and are so pleased we did. We had the most luxurious, relaxing time and enjoyed eating in the different restaurants. Loved the fine dining experience in the orangery. It is expensive but worth every penny (or pound) as far as we are concerned.

Room Tip: New hall rooms are huge and well designed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The spa and hotel is a wow factor .The staff amazing very friendly and helpfully . We were booked in for afternoon tea not the best for £20 pp bread wasn't fresh or scones .I think it had been pre made and just been sat in the kitchen till we came along ! But the food we had at the wedding was very good it stood up to the reviews . One very amazing place worth the visted .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Gene12345
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed overnight as part of a spa break and it was superb. The staff are wonderful, it was a pleasure dealing with them from start to finish. I must give special mention to the cocktail barman who 'persuaded' me to try the sherbert sour (I could happily drink those all night; but apparently they are so potent that I probably wouldn't make it past three!) Our room (New Hall Superior) was lovely - not quite perfect because we did not have a balcony. Having said that, it was a little nippy to sit outside anyway. The spa and treatments were also excellent. Brasserie food very good and breakfast excellent - I tried to help myself to juice (silly me). Apart from a mysterious bottle of wine that appeared on our dinner bill (we drank bottled water, a coke and a lemonade) the food service was flawless. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I'll keep it short as I could write for ever about our stay it was that good. 4th wedding anniversary overnight stay.

Service - amazing, first class by all
Spa - best I've used in North East
Room - suite was fantastic
Brasserie - lovely, great value
Breakfast - huge variety
Golf - nice clubhouse, course pristine
Grounds - beautiful
Overall - has to be experienced, will return for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 27 October 2012

What a fabulous hotel this is. Beautiful grounds. Room was huge and top class finish to all fixtures and fittings, really really luxurious and absolutely spotless which makes any holiday or short break feel that much more special. Staff are so very friendly nothing was too much trouble. There was literally nothing to be picky about and like an earlier reviewer, I, too, can be picky as some of my previous reviews on other hotels can testify). As for the food, wow! it was fantastic, my hubby was a chef and can be very fussy but he is still raving about it. All in all a very pleasurable experience which represented value for money. Sadly I didn't have the opportunity to visit the spa but our daughter and her hubby have been on a number of occasions and love it.

Room Tip: Haven't seen them all, but from those I have seen you won't be disappointed anywhere in this...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for my birthday. This is most definitely 5* and we had a very pleasant stay. Our room in the new hall was beautiful and very big, there wasnt a bit of dirt to be found it was spotless, and I am very picky. We visited the spa whilst we were here and I must say this is the best spa I have ever been to the facilities were excellent and it was lovely. I don't think I will be able to go to any other now as I will be dissapointed. I didn't have any treatments however I am sure they would have been good. All the staff were very professional and service was excellent.
Yes this hotel is pricey but you do get what you pay for. It was very quiet when we visited which was mid week however I didn't mind this at all.
We ate in the clubhouse restaurant and while this was very nice I felt for what we had it was a little over priced as the setting was also not very luxurious in the clubhouse. That along with an 11.00am checkout time was my only complaint, I feel 12.00pm is far more reasonable particularly for the amount on money you pay to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!