“Rockliffe Hall Hotel - Brilliant”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Faultless without being over the top from booking in to out. Spa, room, bar and restaurant all first class. Staff are brilliant and natural - obviously very well trained. Setting is glamorous without being overstated. New and modern mixed with old and interesting. Car parked for us on arrival - and parked near front door on departure. Spa is luxurious. Food excellent quality along with service and setting. All in all a very romantic one night stay.

Room Tip: I think they all overlook the golf course so not an issue
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,726)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Lovely break in the miserable bit after Christmas. The food was delicious. Our bags were stored for us then taken to our room when it was ready. We just had to go and enjoy the spa. Which we did. Best place to be on a cold, wet January day.

The rooms were well appointed and comfortable, with the exception of the pillows. If you can, take your own. The Brasserie staff were great and arranged a special meal for my vegetarian daughter.

I loved the massage and facial that were part of the deal, thanks to Hannah.

However, some problems as to what was included on the voucher we had which was handed in but unavailable when we came to leave so if you have a voucher, take a photocopy as well as original when you go. Would certainly go again.

Room Tip: Check the pillows
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We enjoyed a Spa Day and decided to extend to have an overnight stay and enjoyed dinner with friends in The Orangery (reviewed restaurant separately). Everything from start to finish was of a very high standard. Staff were friendly and attentive without being over the top and we enjoyed lunch in The Brasserie. The spa itself is outstanding and the rooms very well equipped, spacious and comfortable. Breakfasts were amazing in the excellent Orangery and great views. Food and drink generally are on the expensive side but on a par for an hotel of this standard.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed with my business partners and our wives for one night. It would be very hard to fault the ambiance of the Hotel, elegant, luxurious conversion of the old hall resulting in a sophisticated hotel with a superb spa. Staff could not have been more attentive or helpful and the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed.
Lunch in the Brasserie was good and again staff were excellent
Really so far so good. However the Orangerie restaurant was a disappointment for some of our party. This was a fairly big sitting of 10 people and it's hard to please everyone all of the time.
I shared chateaubriand and found it cooked as I like it (rare) and tasty. However others had the same and were not impressed.
I think this is an issue of expectation. The restaurant is aiming for a Michelin star ( or so I am told) and the foodies in our party expected more.
Take from that what you will. Perfectly nice meal from my perspective. However others would have been happy with the food had it been in a less renown restaurant. They smiley expected more.
The lobster was , I am told, a bit over cooked.
I would also very much commend the restaurant staff for listening to my colleagues concerns and doing all they could in terms of additional treats , like cheese for the table and an amendment to the bill.
Despite the amendment the extensive and excellent wine list made this a good cover for the restaurant !
Unfortunately the lack of attention to detail was still evident at breakfast.
A nice touch of the hotel reserving a table for the 10 of us without being asked . However some details of breakfast we're disappointing , under cooked toast and some requests lost in translation . Again cannot really put finger on it but it just wasn't quite 5 star , food not cold but not quite hot enough, coffee with dregs in it , just minor but if the restaurant is going to reach the very high standard of the rest of the hotel it simply has to do better. I am sure it can, it's nearly there , a superb environment and I really want rockcliffe to be a nationally renown hotel. The area needs and deserves it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Beautiful hotel in a lovely setting and excellent staff. We ate in all three restaurants and vegetarian options really let the place down. First night we ate in the clubhouse only one veggie dish available and they didn't have any. While they did give me other options I ended up with something that I could have easily made at home. Second night (New Years eve). Was a taster menu in the orangery. Two courses I was given a fish dish in error and the whole menu was just rich creamy with very little taste to it. A vegetable would have been very nice. Third night we ate in Brasserie and risotto was very nice except for the cold dollop of creme fraiche. Spa treatments were lovely but not sure I would revisit as the veggie food was unimaginative and bland

1  Thank Forget_itelaine
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My friends and I shared an amazing spa evening at Rockcliffe Hall. From walking through the door to our departure we were made to feel special. Total relaxation in a truly stunning setting. Beautiful facilities and friendly staff. Can't wait to book again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We visited Rockcliffe hall for a spa morning, treatment and a 2 course lunch in the brasserie, whole experience was wonderful from Start to finish, service excellent, spa is pure luxury and food excellent, will definitely visit again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Middleton Lodge
#3 of 8 in Richmond
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!